• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Used to go to Swan Yardley, Bloomers , Meet up in the Costamonger Saturday the look the records for sale on the market outside then into Oasis . Remember SMC Nelson House and Ravels.
A picture of the Costamonger, do you remember the darts game you played with the remote control and the mini type curling game that was in there?

Attachments

• 348D531F-7037-4C35-A790-B0315F45E2A8.jpeg
    348D531F-7037-4C35-A790-B0315F45E2A8.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 31
A picture of the Costamonger, do you remember the darts game you played with the remote control and the mini type curling game that was in there?
I remember the new fangled video juke box, the music blasting (particularly American Pie at the end of the night, when we all thought we could sing like Don McLean) and lots of slot machines, but I'm afraid that I can't remember there having been electronic darts or shuffle board games at the Costa, although it has been a while and "recollections may vary" ;). I do however, remember playing that "curling" game at "The Sentinals", which had a very long table that was something like shown below:
1674377567749.jpeg

I remember the new fangled video juke box, the music blasting (particularly American Pie at the end of the night, when we all thought we could sing like Don McLean) and lots of slot machines, but I'm afraid that I can't remember there having been electronic darts or shuffle board games at the Costa, although it has been a while and "recollections may vary" ;). I do however, remember playing that "curling" game at "The Sentinals", which had a very long table that was something like shown below:
View attachment 177356
That’s the game, thank you for posting.
I am sure both games were in the Costa the shuffle table was against the far wall, with the dart board above it.
Having said that know you have got me thinking , or is it my memory .
I will ask some mates , again thank you for posting

That’s the game, thank you for posting.
I am sure both games were in the Costa the shuffle table was against the far wall, with the dart board above it.
Having said that know you have got me thinking , or is it my memory .
I will ask some mates , again thank you for posting
I think that it might very well be my memory rather than yours Covroad, now that you have mentioned them having been sited by the far wall, I think that through the mists of time, I do now vaguely recollect them. I will check with some of my old mates too, when we next get together, it's a pity that won't be at the Costa, where we used to meet up so regularly on Sunday nights. Thanks for your posts as well.

View attachment 177356
Remember American Pie did it last for around several minutes. The only Don McLean i could sing like was the Brummie comedian.

View attachment 177356
Remember the look of that curling game . Used to go into Sentinels now and again for a quick drink.

Anyone got any memories and information about nighclubs in Brum, from any time last century?

Some names of ones that I remember and went to...

Samanthas (was over Silver Blades ice skating rink in Hurst? St)

Pollyannas (Newhall? St.)

The Locarno (definitely Hurst St. with the Bali Hai one at the back)
I remember this band..
John Kerton fronted the successful U.K. function band Red Sun who were the resident band at the Birmingham Locarno for eight years. https://www.brumbeat.net/andicaps.htm

Just found this out
The Tower Ballroom closes its doors at the end of 2005 after more than 50 years https://www.saga.co.uk/1057fm/pages/lisEvent.asp?id=5373
went there once...

Snobs (didn't like that one much)

There was one in the same road where Bingley Hall was (can't remember what it was called..brain's not working too good lately :D) saw Herbie Hancock there...and Deaf School, and AC/DC :eek: (not my choice...just a crowd I was with at the time)

Any more? ...or any memories? :)

Among the clubs that I frequented in Birmingham city centre during the 70s/80s were: The Cedar Club, Thursday's (later to become Millionaires), The Night Out, The Rum Runner, Liberty's, Mr Moons, The Elbow Room, Pollyanna's, Barbs, Rebecca's, Snobs, Sloopy's, Romeo's & Juliet's, Faces, Sarah Moons, Bobby Brown's, La Dolce Vita, The Locarno and The Top Rank. The length of that list somewhat challenges the line, "If you can remember, you weren't there", although my memory of most of them, is very, very hazy! ;)

Among the clubs that I frequented in Birmingham city centre during the 70s/80s were: The Cedar Club, Thursday's (later to become Millionaires), The Night Out, The Rum Runner, Liberty's, Mr Moons, The Elbow Room, Pollyanna's, Barbs, Rebecca's, Snobs, Sloopy's, Romeo's & Juliet's, Faces, Sarah Moons, Bobby Brown's, La Dolce Vita, The Locarno and The Top Rank. The length of that list somewhat challenges the line, "If you can remember, you weren't there", although my memory of most of them, is very, very hazy! ;)
Thursdays, Faces, Top Rank , Too many mirrors in Snobs espacially when you had a few too many lager and limes . Like i have said before great memories of happy times . I think your memory is fine.

Thursdays, Faces, Top Rank , Too many mirrors in Snobs especially when you had a few too many lager and limes . Like i have said before great memories of happy times . I think your memory is fine.
Hi many memories of most of those you mention above, another mentioned The Swan Yardley, did anyone go to the Bulls Head from the Swan down on the Coventry Rd opposite the Police station, Carl Wayne used to sing there among others. I remember that more because rare as it was our purses and bags had been pinched, as the police Station was across the Rd they found most of them in the toilet cisterns the old type that was way above the loo with a long pipe, happy days... I was at the Rum Runner the night Tom Jones sang not that well know then making a name for himself.

Hi many memories of most of those you mention above, another mentioned The Swan Yardley, did anyone go to the Bulls Head from the Swan down on the Coventry Rd opposite the Police station, Carl Wayne used to sing there among others. I remember that more because rare as it was our purses and bags had been pinched, as the police Station was across the Rd they found most of them in the toilet cisterns the old type that was way above the loo with a long pipe, happy days... I was at the Rum Runner the night Tom Jones sang not that well know then making a name for himself.
Used ro go to the Swan Disco on a Sunday , Bloomers opposite and sometimes call in at the Bulls Head after work for a swift half.

Used ro go to the Swan Disco on a Sunday , Bloomers opposite and sometimes call in at the Bulls Head after work for a swift half.

Anyone remember Derek lill stag night in the 80s we all went to a pub up town then finished up at the lacarno Hurst st

I was at the lacarnoone Friday night in the 80s can’t remember exactly it was a henparty met a chap there we danced and kissed. My name is Kathy. I know it’s a long shot but does it jog

Anyone remember Carol Stevens hen night at the lacarno Hurst St one Thursday night in the 80s the boys from her future husbands stag night all turned up. Memories. Hey nice memories. Anyone there at that time
Hi mike do you remember me. Kathy Derek's sister was it you who I danced with and kissed. If its not you. Do you know who it was. Do you remember any more of that night. Thank you

As I remember it, you got into the Costamonger bar by going downstairs and then right into the single room that was the pub - just one room with one door for in and out, and no windows at all because it was below street level. Is this correct?
I only took liquid refreshment in there during the late 1960s, so don't know anything about the games machines.

Yes, I frequented the Bulls Head in the late 1960s (details in another post elsewhere on this forum) and a mate of mine's dad was a copper at the police station across the road, so remember both places well.

As I remember it, you got into the Costamonger bar by going downstairs and then right into the single room that was the pub - just one room with one door for in and out, and no windows at all because it was below street level. Is this correct?
I only took liquid refreshment in there during the late 1960s, so don't know anything about the games machines.
You are correct TommoCo.

thanks John L. It is so unusual to have anyone remember these places let alone know them well, and, as said elsewhere, the old memory cells get a little more confused as time goes by, that I have still to get used to getting a reply......thanks again.
My pleasure TommoCo. There are still plenty of us on here and among my old friends, with longish memories. I know what you mean about "memory cells" my own needs jogging sometimes as well (might be all those nights I spent at The Costa and at other such establishments;)). This site certainly helps with that, there is always someone out there with an answer, or who will try to find one, Cheers.

I used to be (still am) a big rock music fan. There used to be a local programme on BBC1 at 7.30 on a tuesday called something like sight and sound. Afterwards the 2 presenters used to host a rock night at Romeo and Juliets and whichever band had played on the programme used to play a gig there. I think this would be around 79/80/81 ish. I also used to frequent Costermongers, Bogarts, Sentinels and a pub on smallbrook queensway that used to be next to the Wimpy, maybe the Horsetrader? Also there used to be a pub at the back of the old Bull Ring below a winding walkway, can't remember what it was called though. There used to be a big army/navy shop at the top of the walkway where we used to buy our german military field jackets etc. Also used to go to the Powerhouse when there was a gig on, memorably saw the Pogues there once. I used to go to the Pen and Wig a lot before going to the Hummingbird (Top Rank). I also vaguely remember Bingley Hall on broad street as a gig venue? and also Digbeth Civic Hall used to be a great little venue to watch bands.

Also there used to be a pub at the back of the old Bull Ring below a winding walkway, can't remember what it was called though. There used to be a big army/navy shop at the top of the walkway where we used to buy our german military field jackets etc.
'The Matador' was at the top of the ramp, and the 'Army & Navy Stores' (Oswald Bailey) below it at ground level.

The Matador .jpg

Spiral ramp, Bull Ring Centre .jpg

Last edited:
I used to be (still am) a big rock music fan. There used to be a local programme on BBC1 at 7.30 on a tuesday called something like sight and sound. Afterwards the 2 presenters used to host a rock night at Romeo and Juliets and whichever band had played on the programme used to play a gig there. I think this would be around 79/80/81 ish. I also used to frequent Costermongers, Bogarts, Sentinels and a pub on smallbrook queensway that used to be next to the Wimpy, maybe the Horsetrader? Also there used to be a pub at the back of the old Bull Ring below a winding walkway, can't remember what it was called though. There used to be a big army/navy shop at the top of the walkway where we used to buy our german military field jackets etc. Also used to go to the Powerhouse when there was a gig on, memorably saw the Pogues there once. I used to go to the Pen and Wig a lot before going to the Hummingbird (Top Rank). I also vaguely remember Bingley Hall on broad street as a gig venue? and also Digbeth Civic Hall used to be a great little venue to watch bands.
Yes, Digbeth Civic Hall was good. Saw the Pretty Things there a few times.

I can't believe I thought the pub and army & navy store were the opposite way round, but seeing that picture brings it all back now. Saturdays were spent in Ozzies for a jacket, Matador for a pint and then down to Reddingtons to buy some rare or imported vinyl.

Back