• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

tecee222. I worked the door at The Bull ocasionally. It was one of the venues run by the man who owned Mothers Club in Erdington.

Have been racking my brains trying to remember where I used to go. The main one I think was Snoopys and I worked for a time at Top Rank. Also used to visit Bogarts in New Street which was a bar upstairs and I think a beer keller downstairs. Other favourites were Samanthas, Elbow Room (no wonder they called it that - you couldn't fall down there cos there just wasn't room!) Ah health and safety!!

Also used to go to the Parisianne and the Gilded Cage as pubs. Well that took me back a bit!

I dont see many of you mentioning The Castaways. Is this because it was a club where you went to see a star and not a drink and a dance.

that's just favouritism! I always paid and most times had to show my birth certificate to get in! Would still have to now of course as I haven't aged at all!

The owner of the Dolls Club lived in Penns Lake Road, Walmley in the 60s

Jesus,did I really go to so many clubs!! I found myself swimming in the resy after exiting the Tower Ballroom in the early hours. Soberd like a light as boots [ God did I wear platform boots] began to fill with water. This thread has my mind buzzing.

The Emerald club was in Small Heat still is but not the orignal site,thought it was just a cross the street.

Re: Birmingham Nighclubs of the Past- Memories

The Locarno was my fave..............

Dolca Vita - saw Shawaddywaddy there live

The Dome...............I was on the dance floor the night the press took the picture of the opening of The Dome (loved The Night out Too)

Bloomers

Barbarellas - loved all the different rooms with the genres of music

Top rank

Rainbow Suite

Ooooooooooooooh..............those were the days
not to forget Rebekkas (i think thats how you spell it) and the Dolce vita

I dont see many of you mentioning The Castaways. Is this because it was a club where you went to see a star and not a drink and a dance.
With respect, it was a bit of a dump as was the dreaded Ringway club but you could get a drink after hours there. My cousin was a waitress at the Castaways

Yes I was there too, Dont forget Rebecca's, the Move were performing there, and also Sight and Sound (any one else remember them?) Great times. An other good place was in Park St Birmingham "Prohibition", bit of a jazz club with fantastic food. A very good intimate club, I dont think I was old enough for any of these places, thats what made it so fantastic to be out. The Town Hall was a good venue to see bands too.
Sight and sound!! was'nt Ian 'Sludge' Lees the singer?

With respect, it was a bit of a dump as was the dreaded Ringway club

Of course the Ringway (Pink Elephant) was a dump. Thats why most people went there, combined with the fact that the entrance fee was one of the cheapest in town.

Phil

:Dancedancer08:Hi Marshell50

Top Rank was brilliant. That's where I first tried barcardi and coke, and was hooked, still my tipple!

Use to go 3 nights a week. One of my friends had her hen night there and we had a really good night. Met a chap called Roger there and we went out for a short time, I wonder what happened to him?

Yep, the mind remembers, but the body can't quite take in the same. Spirit willing and the body weak as they say, but I can still dance the socks of some em!

We use to do all the new dances, remember the one to the Israelites? Not forgetting of course Return of Jango and many others.

Those were the days!
Yeah i remember the reggae scene in the early seventies, whenever i hear 'Double Barrel' it reminds of the Top Rank and rock steady!

Of course the Ringway (Pink Elephant) was a dump. Thats why most people went there, combined with the fact that the entrance fee was one of the cheapest in town.

Phil
Thanks Phil because whenever i mention that place no one can remember it. As sleezy as it was i had some fun there!

not to forget Rebekkas (i think thats how you spell it) and the Dolce vita
Ahh memories of the Locarno. as a budding DJ in 1972 i did an audition for the then manager Tommy Cullinane, the guest 'star' that night was Johnny Walker from radio one and we hit it off straight away. He invited me to stay on stage with him but the boss decided otherwise. He ordered two burly bouncers to 'invite me to leave' and out i went. I almost lost all of my records but managed to retrieve nearly all of them. I can laugh now........... I did work else where though: Barbarellas, Pollyannas and the Chalet in Rednal, plus a reguar spot at The Dukes in Northfield. Happy days!!

I also loved the Rainbow Suite which was above the Co-op and the Top Rank - walking in to the sound of Green Onions by Booker T. Rebeccas and Barbarellas were great, Rebeccas was a bit small though. The Rum Runner on Broad Street was popular although I never went there, the 'older generation' seemed to go there ! I met my first love at the Plaza, Handsworth and also saw The Kinks and Spencer Davis Group there too.
Yes...............those were the days.............
Yeah The Rainbow, Rod Stewart played it at the height of his fame. T K Max now isn't it?

Dilly, Sorry, I don't remember a jazz club called the Swingshift. The Golden Eagle was in Hill Street - I don't know whether there was a jazz club there but I remember going to that pub and as I was into modern jazz at the time just thought that might have been why I went. Just wondered if anyone knew if other types of music were played there apart from Rhythm & Blues.

Judy
I once saw Robert Plant play the Golden eagle with The Honeydrippers. Ricky Cool, who was also played in the band teaches music now at Hamstead Hall School.

Clubs/ Dives. There was a place close to the Golden Gloves, Camp Hill ?, a '.... hole' in one corner,a small bar, and a tiny platform just inside the door for the 'Strippers'. This kid dressed in public school uniform once turn up to meet his mother [stripper] after school. At least she was using her 'wages of sin' as she called it to good use. She did the boots and whip thing and lo and behold any punter who tried to touch!!

Haven't seen a mention of the Coral Reef formally the Adelphi picture house in Hay Mills. Think it was only open for a short time, i can only remember the clouds scene projected onto the ceiling.
I used to stick to my local venues, like Bloomers and upstairs in the Bulls Head, the Swan and the Yew Tree.

Haven't seen a mention of the Coral Reef formally the Adelphi picture house in Hay Mills. Think it was only open for a short time, i can only remember the clouds scene projected onto the ceiling.
I used to stick to my local venues, like Bloomers and upstairs in the Bulls Head, the Swan and the Yew Tree.

Swan was the first place[with a Lincence] I danced , regge style,along with upstairs in the Bull. Knew about the Coral Reef,but never went there. Can't place Bloomers? Drank in Yew Tree. Couple of times went out to Old Brum Airport

Used to have stag nights at the Crown and Cushion Perry barr late sixties. One Large performer was called vulga Olga.

Swan was the first place[with a Lincence] I danced , regge style,along with upstairs in the Bull. Knew about the Coral Reef,but never went there. Can't place Bloomers? Drank in Yew Tree. Couple of times went out to Old Brum Airport
Bloomers was actually within the Swan shopping centre, it was eventually changed into a bingo hall, that has also now closed.

I have just found this site. I have read most of the comments on the thread, and what memories it brings back. Still very fresh after forty odd years. I used to work at the Locarno. I started behind the bar and ended up being a DJ there for four years between 66 and 70. Probably the best years of my life. There was myself and Stuart King. We both worked the Tudor Club and the Bali Hi on most evenings, plus the main ballroom on Monday nights. I am sure that I must have known many of the members who have contributed their comments. We seemed to follow the same routes through the clubs. From the Locarno to the Runner or Cedar clubs, sometimes the Opposite Lock, sometimes the Dolce Vita or Elbow, and many other places. I look forward to reading more of your comments.

Bobbygee, I have had xwords with some people because I class those years and a good few prior to them as being better than today. I fail to understand how being sick in front of hundreds of others can be fun. Happy memories eh.

Don't think its been mentioned yet but there was a sort of club at the back of the old Yew Tree pub at Yardley, in the Rio Grande, used to have a "rockers" night on I think a Sunday night

Back