• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham library

missjayniee

master brummie
On telling someone I'm hoping to get to Birmingham library in August they said i presume you have an archives card. They have not yet replied to my question whats an archive card and where do I get one. I've looked on Birmingham library website and can't find any info on them Also how long before I go do i need to book please. Thanks. :rolleyes:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Most archives will require you to have a Reader Card or Reader Ticket in order to begin your research. You will need to bring 2 current passport sized ID pictures for these cards. A document with your signature on it such as a driver's license, passport or credit card will also probably be required. These Reader Cards will allow you access to the documents in these archives and are normally valid for several years.[/FONT]

Thanks Mike

Can I get them on the day I go or do I have to apply for them earlier. Also does anybody know how long I have to book sessions before I go please. Thanks.:rolleyes:

birmingham library issues cards on the day you go if you have id i used my driving licence it is a good idea to ring and book the records you want to see before you go and they will have them ready for you.they are very helpful there and will also tell you about records they may have to follow on your search good luck!

Also it's worth pointing out that the Card allows you into lots more Libraries/County Records Offices, not just the one you sign with. I got my first one in Warwick a few years ago and re-newed it earlier this year in Brum.

Its worth noteing Staffordshire has its own card You cannot use a CARN card in Staffs.

Thanks for that Mike its interestig because if I don't have any success at Birmingham my next place would be Lichfield archives.

When i have been to Birmingham Library i have not needed a card to view the Micro Fiches, the staff are very helpful and will show you to the catalogues where you can find out where the records you need are held, if the records are in the archives then you need a card, issuable on the day. Proof for this would be a bill or someting with your address on it and a passport or drivers license with a photo on it.. that card can then be used in other Libraries, but some have their own as stated, altough saying that at Worcs Centre you don't need a card, if you have to go into the seperate Archive section they will give you a locker as no bags are allowed in that area. I am not sure how long they let you book a reader for but they usually keep one free just for that so phone ahead in advance, other then that if you get there early enough as i do you can usually get a reader anyway and use it as long as you need to :)

What happens, if like me, you don't have a passport or driving licence?
I only have a bus pass :rolleyes:

Back