• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham in 1930s

The thread is about the 1930's.
No dates in some of the posts but I feel that they re at a later date than this.
There does not seem to be much to find out, but this is what I have found.

The first state pension in the world was offered in Germany in the late nineteenth century. Although the idea had been proposed by some social reformers in Britain in the eighteenth century, it was not until 1909 that a state pension was introduced in the UK following the Old Age Pension Act of 1908. The British Government established two committees in the 1890s to investigate the feasibility of the state providing an old age pension to its citizens: the Rothschild Committee on Old Age Pensions in 1896 and a Select Committee on the Aged Deserving Poor in 1899. The matter was also examined by two Royal Commissions examining the Poor Laws in 1893-1895 and 1905-1909. The parliamentary campaign stalled due to concerns about the cost of financing the scheme and the degree of state intervention the proposals would represent, although support for state provision gathered throughout the 1890s and 1900s within the labour movement, friendly societies, trade unions and the Church. The Pensions Act of 1908 saw the Government providing a modest 5s pension (below subsistence, around £14 in today’s money) to those over 70 who had an income of under 10s a week. The provision was reduced for married couples and subject to a character test. The scheme was administered by local committees, under the supervision of Customs and Excise officers, and pensions were paid at branches of the Post Office. The scheme was non-contributory, relying on government revenue rather than the contributions of the pensioner. The rate of the state pension was increased to 10s in 1919 - £10 in today's money - and provision was made for illness and unemployment insurance through a contributory system established by the 1911 National Insurance Act. However, there was no significant change in the basis of the state pension until 1925 when the Widows’, Orphans’ and Old Age Contributory Pensions Act introduced the first contributory state pension scheme. This scheme was funded on contributions from both the employee and employer. In 1940 the Old Age and Widows’ Pension Act broadened the benefits available to women by reducing the pensionable age to 60 for unmarried, insured women and the wives of insured male pensioners, with an associated increase to women’s contributions. The National Insurance Act of 1946 introduced a universal contributory state pension. This legislation provided a pension of £1 6s for a single person and £2 2s for a married couple (around £30 and £48 in today’s money), paid at 65 for a man and 60 for a woman, funded by National Insurance contributions from workers
also:-

I understand that the women's pension age was brought down to 60 at Churchill's insistence as a thank you to them for their efforts during the war whilst the men were away

The thread is about the 1930's.
No dates in some of the posts but I feel that they re at a later date than this.
There does not seem to be much to find out, but this is what I have found.

The first state pension in the world was offered in Germany in the late nineteenth century. Although the idea had been proposed by some social reformers in Britain in the eighteenth century, it was not until 1909 that a state pension was introduced in the UK following the Old Age Pension Act of 1908. The British Government established two committees in the 1890s to investigate the feasibility of the state providing an old age pension to its citizens: the Rothschild Committee on Old Age Pensions in 1896 and a Select Committee on the Aged Deserving Poor in 1899. The matter was also examined by two Royal Commissions examining the Poor Laws in 1893-1895 and 1905-1909. The parliamentary campaign stalled due to concerns about the cost of financing the scheme and the degree of state intervention the proposals would represent, although support for state provision gathered throughout the 1890s and 1900s within the labour movement, friendly societies, trade unions and the Church. The Pensions Act of 1908 saw the Government providing a modest 5s pension (below subsistence, around £14 in today’s money) to those over 70 who had an income of under 10s a week. The provision was reduced for married couples and subject to a character test. The scheme was administered by local committees, under the supervision of Customs and Excise officers, and pensions were paid at branches of the Post Office. The scheme was non-contributory, relying on government revenue rather than the contributions of the pensioner. The rate of the state pension was increased to 10s in 1919 - £10 in today's money - and provision was made for illness and unemployment insurance through a contributory system established by the 1911 National Insurance Act. However, there was no significant change in the basis of the state pension until 1925 when the Widows’, Orphans’ and Old Age Contributory Pensions Act introduced the first contributory state pension scheme. This scheme was funded on contributions from both the employee and employer. In 1940 the Old Age and Widows’ Pension Act broadened the benefits available to women by reducing the pensionable age to 60 for unmarried, insured women and the wives of insured male pensioners, with an associated increase to women’s contributions. The National Insurance Act of 1946 introduced a universal contributory state pension. This legislation provided a pension of 1 6s for a single person and £2 2s for a married couple (around £30 and £48 in today’s money), paid at 65 for a man and 60 for a woman, funded by National Insurance contributions from workers
also:-
Thanks I appreciate all the effort to look into this. It looks like back in the 1930s at the beginning of the Great Depression, an English widow wouldn't have got much more than 10/- a week for herself plus a per child supplement so, with only one child, that would be only £1/5/- a week in total - No wonder my Dad always said his widowed mother could never manage on her pension! Cheers, Jane

Back