• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Dairies Milk Floats

Chris Parker

Good evening all

Just to start off, thank you for allowing me to be part of this wonderful informative group.

My father worked for Birmingham Dairies at their Middlemore Depot from 1981 upto the closure in the mid 90's.

I would like to ask if anyone has and pictures of the Electric and diesel milk floats that made up the fleet of trucks owned by Birmingham Dairies.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Link to a Handsworth/Birmingham Dairies Float now at Wythall Transport Museum and a couple more float photos by David Fane.

Attachments

• Birmingham Dairies float.jpg
    Birmingham Dairies float.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Birmingham Dairies float.jpg
    Birmingham Dairies float.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 36
hi chris my grandad also worked for b ham dairy his name was harold o dell i was 5 when he died so he worked thre up to 1964/5my nans name was gladis they lived in yardleyi think gradad was a maneger or a superviser not suresue o dell now sue bryan as im married nowx

Hi Chris, i worked at bourneville depot in selly oak road 63 till 67 wythall museam has some old floats and oxford diecast
make a wales & edwards three wheel electric float, pocketbond make a 4 wheel electric float both at wythall, pictures enclose
also a couple of rangemasters

Attachments

• rangemaster.jpg
    rangemaster.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 24
  • vwoa26.jpg
    vwoa26.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 21
  • vxog847.jpg
    vxog847.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Rangemaster 00A 875G.jpg
    Rangemaster 00A 875G.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 24
For info, 'milk float' refers to electric and horse-drawn vehicles:

An electric accumulator battery-driven vehicle (formerly also horse-drawn), designed for the house-to-house delivery of fresh milk; common in Europe, especially the United Kingdom.

float is a form of two-wheeled horse-drawn cart with a dropped axle to give an especially low load-bed.They were intended for carrying heavy or unstable items such as milk churns.The name survives today in that of the milk float and carnival float

Viv

Back