• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Corporation bus historical employee records

SammySam2022

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, and hope you can help me.
I am doing my husband's family tree on Ancestry and looking for information relating to my late mother-in-law who was a conductor 'clippie' on the 33 bus in the late 1930's until at least the mid 1940's.
Does anyone know if there are any surviving employee records from so far back, and where I am likely to find them? And/or any pictures of the old Corporation buses that my mother in law may have worked on?
Any information would be gratefully received.
Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 900008_202110251336_3791148_Qty1_1.jpg
    900008_202110251336_3791148_Qty1_1.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 11
hi sammysam and welcome..hopefully some of our transport experts can help you...good luck

lyn

Sorry Sammysam, but I do not think they will have any records from that period, but that doesn't mean I am correct, I did work for the company for 35 years (retired March 2021) and it took them over 12 months to sort my records out, you can try their HR department (email. [email protected] ) and ask them the question, I do think that they only keep the records for about 5 years and then they are destroyed. You will have to let the forum know how you get on.

It was on the Midlands news today, that Wythall Transport Museum had completed the £500,000 restoration of B'ham 486 (OV4486) introduced in 1931 an AEC Regent Bus. which would have been around in the late 1930s. It was withdrawn from service in 1944 through engine failure.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, and hope you can help me.
I am doing my husband's family tree on Ancestry and looking for information relating to my late mother-in-law who was a conductor 'clippie' on the 33 bus in the late 1930's until at least the mid 1940's.
Does anyone know if there are any surviving employee records from so far back, and where I am likely to find them? And/or any pictures of the old Corporation buses that my mother in law may have worked on?
Any information would be gratefully received.
Many thanks in advance

I am researching my family history too and my birth father Cornelius 'Con' Duggan was a conductor, who lived at 24 Park Road, Aston & emigrated to Australia in 1951. My mom Dorothy Clarke/Jennings was a conductress too.

Back