• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 8

SAMUEL CAVE (Naturalisation 1898)
FANNY ABRAHAMSON EMPLOYER 1913-1915

In one of the Joseph Abrahamson letters a.Mr. Davis.is mentioned along with.Mr. and Mrs. Cave.

I have worked out who Mr. Cave was, as I knew his address, because.Fanny Winter nee Abrahamson.worked there between the years 1913-1915. Lo and behold I see that.Samuel.Cave.was married to.Phoebe Davis..Phoebe Hannah Davis married Samuel Cave in 1899 in Birmingham.
Cave Samuel addresses

1898 Naturalisation Russia 4 Lower Hurst Street 12th March 1898
1901 Census 128 Sand Street
1903-08 Kelly Cave Philip, furniture dealer, 371 Coventry Road
1910-21 Kelly Cave, Philip Samuel, furniture dealer 371-373 Coventry Road

In census returns Samuel is described as Polish and Phoebe as Russian.
Samuel Cave died December 25th 1920. Probate was granted to his Widow, Phoebe Cave 10th March 1921. He had effects of £698 19s 9d.

LEVEY DAVIS
FATHER OF RAINBOW AND CAVE WIVES 1915 - JOSEPH ABRAHAMSON LETTER

On looking in the 1881 census I see the two girls (Phoebe and Rose Davis) together with their family. The father is Levey (Russian Jew-Glazier) and mother Betsy.
The Mr. Davis mentioned in Joseph Abrahamson’s letter I felt was not Levey as I think he died before 1915 so I looked at the sons and found a.David Davis (he would have been 46 then).

Davis Levey addresses

1881 Census 12 Gough Street
1891 Census 15 Severn Street
1901 Census 17 South Road, Handsworth
Lewis Davis, Head aged 57 born 1844 Russia British Subject,Fancy Goods Dealer
1911 7 Varna Road

Back