• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 7

MOSS LOUIS RAINBOW (Naturalised 1924)
(Moss Leizer Regenbogen from Poland)
FANNY ABRAHAMSON EMPLOYER 1911-1913

I know Fanny's first employee in Birmingham was.Louis Rainbow- a furniture seller..His wife was.Rose Davis-.who died at the end of 1910. This seems to me the reason why Fanny became the servant there (1910-1913). Mr. Rainbow remarried in the 3rd quarter of 1913 so Fanny was no longer required there it seems.

I have a letter written around December 1913 from Fanny to Dora Abrahamson implying that she might be at a loose end though she had been given a coat for Dolly (I suspect this is Mr. and Mrs. Cave’s daughter’s coat). She went to work for the Cave family (also furniture dealers) from the end of 1913-end of 1915.
I think Fanny moved to the Cave family through the Davis connection. Both Samuel Cave (Phoebe Davis) and Louis Rainbow (Rose Davis) had been married to a Davis sister.

However I think it was Maiers Winter who had been instrumental in getting her the job with the Rainbow’s through the Wolfe connection.

Then end of 1915 Fanny Abrahamson moved to be a housekeeper at Jacob Winters, whose wife had died at the end of 1914.

Rainbow Moss Louis addresses

1901 Census 118 Hurst Street (Lodger)
1903-5.Kelly Rainbow Moss L. cabinet makers, 61 Broad Street
1908-10 Kelly Rainbow Moss L. cabinet maker, 31 Aston St. T N (must have been a significant business with a phone in 1908)
1911 25 Snow Hill
1911 August Letter 400 High Street West Bromwich
1912 Kelly It was Louis Rainbow who moved to 400 High Street West Bromwich in 1911, I guess due to the premature death of his wife.
1912 Kelly Not listed, nor is 321 Aston St (In this year 25-26 Snow hill is a Great Western furniture stores)
1913 Kelly Moss Louis, furniture dealer. No address.
1915 & 1921 Kelly Neither Rainbow nor that address listed
Great Western Furniture Stores is not listed in either 1915 or 1921..
25-26 Snow Hill is not listed in 1915.
1924 Naturalisation 35 Clarendon Road, Birmingham Mechant 29/3/1924. Now he is Polish probably due to his experiences regarding the First World War internments. He had been Austrian before.
1925-56 Kelly Rainbow’s Waterproof clothing Manuf., 162 Corporation St

TRAVELS
He travelled extensively from 1921 onwards and up to 1952.

FAMILY
He married twice. Firstly, Louis Rainbow married in 1902 to Rose Davis. Rose Rainbow died in 1910 aged 35.

A Second marriage was with Pauline Rapaport. Pauline Rapaport was born in 1880 Austria and lived in N. Manchester.

Pauline Rainbow died in Birmingham 1955, in the April quarter. Moss Louis Rainbow died in Birmingham 1955, in the December quarter.

Back