• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 2

JACOB WEINCIER
LANDLORD OF JACOB WINTER 1901

1901 Census-31 Lower Essex Street, Birmingham. Jacob Winter was a lodger of the Weincier family.
Jacob Weincier emigrated to South Africa on 24th May, 1902 but the rest of his family followed later. Jacob Winter left for the USA September 1902.
Married to Eve, he had 2 children: Zillah- Bookkeeper and Rose –Clerk.
Jacob became a Provision Merchant and seems to have done very well for himself sending his two children home to England, first class for holidays.

HARRY GOODMAN
JACOB WINTER TOOK PREMISES FROM HIM IN JUNE 1902

He is listed in Kellys as being a Tailor at the following addresses:

Goodman Harry addresses

1897-1903. 66 Digbeth
1904 he is a tailor & pawnbroker at 82 Digbeth
1905 he is a Tailor at 82 Digbeth.
1915 still at the same address
1921 disappears from Kellys by 1921, when no 82 is occupied by Isreal Lesser, tailor.

1891 Census shows him at 66 Digbeth
1901 Census lists him as being 37, born in Germany, married to Rose, 34, a Tailoress , born in Liverpool, with daughter Janey, 13, born In Poland.

Harry Goodman was naturalised May 1914 but I can’t find him in the London Gazette.

There are German Goodman’s (Benjamin Reiss) connected to the Abrahamson family in Leeds so I was hopeful that they might be the reason why Fanny Abrahamson came to Birmingham. However the Putsman connection seems much more logical.

Back