• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 1

Dear Gang,

I had so much help from this Forum I thought I would share my findings with you:

In the course of my research I came across the following people who had some connections with the Winter family in Birmingham. Here is the story of those links.

DEBORAH CARO
MARKS WINTER LANDLADY 1901

The Caros come from an area very close to Konin and only 6 miles from Slesin: Kleczew and the father’s (Myer Caro) occupation was a boot maker. They settled in Birmingham between the years 1873-1879.
My contention is that the Winters knew the Caro family rather well:
They came from the same area.
Maiers Winter who is most probably Jacob Winter’s half brother, was also in the same line of work; as a slipper maker.
In 1901 Marks Winter who accompanied Jacob Winter on his travels from Poland to England and onto USA stayed with the Caros as a lodger at 26 Gooch Street with Deborah Caro-now a widow (husband Myer dying in 1889).
It is also interesting to note that both Maiers Winter and Caro Robert (one of her sons), an insurance agent, stayed at 137 St.Luke’s Road: Robert in 1904 and Maiers from 1910-1912.
Deborah died in 1910.
137.St Lukes Road Occupants
Here are the occupants of 137 St Luke’s Road according to the Kelly’s directory and electoral roll:

1904 Caro Robert, insurance agent, CONNECTION WITH WINTER FAMILY-SEE ABOVE
1905 Miss Powell
1908 No one listed
1910-1912 Meyer Winter CONNECTION WITH WINTER FAMILY- HALF BROTHER
1913 & 1915 Jacob Brodski CONNECTION WITH PUTSMAN MARRYING LOUIS'S DAUGHTER ESTHER IN 1912
1921-1939 Harry Putsman- Son of Louis CONNECTION WITH WINTER FAMILY-SON CHARLES MARRIED A WOOLF AS DID MEYER

Thank you Gareth. It is great for people to put the results of their researches on the forum for our delectation in the way that you have
Mike

Thanks Gareth, nice to know how peopleget on with the research.

Back