• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham City Utilities Home Guard (Gas, Water, Electricity, Salvage and administrative departments) - Commemorative Booklet

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
There has been previous mention in the main Home Guard thread of the commemorative booklet covering the 29th Warwickshire (Birmingham) Battalion issued in 1946 by the City Council.

This Battalion was manned entirely by members of the Gas, Water, Electricity, Salvage and administrative departments - over 1200 men and probably a few women in all. Their job was to defend all the relevant locations and facilities of the Council and they did this, day-in and day-out and during their non-working hours, for four-and-a-half long years. Really worthy of commemoration and I tried to do this some time ago by reproducing the booklet in its entirety online. It's still there and is googleable.
(This is the link: It's safe to click on).
The copy of the booklet I reproduced was loaned to me, very generously, by its owner, a member of this Forum and a son of one of the men involved (William Arthur Whitfield of the Electricity Dept).

I have recently been approached by a gentleman whose father - Samuel Guise, together with his friend, John Hartle - was also a member of this unit (they worked in the Waggon Repair Dept. of the Gas Dept.) He is anxious to acquire a copy to hand down to his own children.

Can any member advise him (via me), please, if they are aware of the survival of a further copy of this booklet whose owner might be willing to dispose of it?

Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
There has been previous mention in the main Home Guard thread of the commemorative booklet covering the 29th Warwickshire (Birmingham) Battalion issued in 1945 by the City Council.

This Battalion was manned entirely by members of the Gas, Water, Electricity, Salvage and administrative departments - over 1200 men and probably a few women in all. Their job was to defend all the relevant locations and facilities of the Council and they did this, day-in and day-out and during their non-working hours, for four-and-a-half long years. Really worthy of commemoration and I tried to do this some time ago by reproducing the booklet in its entirety online. It's still there and is googleable.
(This is the link: It's safe to click on).
The copy of the booklet I reproduced was loaned to me, very generously, by its owner, a member of this Forum and a son of one of the men involved (William Arthur Whitfield of the Electricity Dept.

I have recently been approached by a gentleman whose grandfather was also a member of this unit (who worked in the Waggon Repair Dept. of the Gas Dept.) He is anxious to acquire a copy to hand down to his own children.

Can any member advise him (via me), please, if they are aware of the survival of a further copy of this booklet whose owner might be willing to dispose of it?

Thanks.

Chris
An interesting read. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Back