• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham City Transport Social, Athletic and Thrift Society

sasha507

knowlegable brummie
Hi everyone
Does anyone have any idea when this Society might have been set up? I have a newspaper cutting from the 41st Annual Sports day and I'm just trying to put a date to it. I can't find a mention of it anywhere else.
Many thanks,
Barbara

Just jumping the gun a little, Motorman Mike kindly obtained a copy of the book for me a while back. It states that "The Council Tramways Dept was founded in 1904 with six depots, each having their own Social Committees, independent of each other. On 25th April 1907 the Birmingham Corporation Tramways Social, Athletic and Thrift Society became a properly constituted Society, etc., etc."

Maurice :cool:

Brilliant, thanks Colin and Maurice. That puts the date of my newspaper cutting at 1948 then, which seems to make sense. Dad ( a bus driver for Birmingham Corporation) won a race in the over 40's category! (He was fitter than me, I have to say!)
Barbara

Picked up a copy of the book from The Stadium today, haven't had time to read yet (involved with a research visit to a brewery).
It outlines the formation and history of the Birmingham City Transport Sport and Thrift Society, and a little history of the Birmingham City Transport Corporation
They still have a number of copies left, details how to purchase,https://wmtsocial.club.officelive.com/100years.aspx or feel free to contact me.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Whilst the reproduction of a few of the pictures is a bit iffy, it's quite an interesting read and certainly brought to mind a few of the names I'd forghotten since my five years at Head Office in the 1950s.

Maurice :cool:

Back