• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974

The ventriloquist tale had more substance; Ackerman was pretty talented as a comic. He convinced a visiting Chief Inspector from up North that we had 'radio-pens' for use on stake-outs, by doing an impromptu vent act with his Parker pen! !

Just one more reminisce.. Who recalls the Sturdy brothers, Bob and Jim?

John
[/QUOTE Unfortunately they both passed away recently. I knew both of them Two great characters. Sad loss taken too soon

Hi all Paul Such here I have just joined the forum I was in Birmingham City Police from 1960 to 1965 when I left to come to Australia Initially stationed at Sparkhill as F119 living in single men's quarters there and then at Kings Heath until transferring to Traffic Motorcycle patrols at Duke Street as R 348 does anyone remmeber me?

Hi James, I worked with your father on Traffic about 1963, he was known as Ken, lovely chap with a good sense of humour. Mind you in those days you had to have a sense of humour other-wise you wouldn't survive. Others around at the time were Leo Harris, Ken Fisher (the white boot man). The Vicar -Stan Green, Bullet 'R'. 303. I will explain the 'White boot man' If anyone visited Duke Street Garage and stood talking for more than a minute. They would leave with white painted boots. Your mom and dad lived at the back of the Odeon Perry Barr. As mentioned previously he died whilst pushing a car. A tragic loss.
George Thursfield.
Yes I was one of those who got their boots painted white

Does anybody know Martin Green joined Birmingham City Police after demob from the Coldstream Guards in 1960 discharged on medical grounds in the 60s went to work for the Birmingham Mail.

New police badges from Firmin Ltd, Aston in 1967. Viv.70240F40-DCA3-44A8-A0C2-E192AC230886.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Reading through posts reminded me of Green Lane baths, 2301307229_73400b00d0_z.jpg every Tuesday night (I think) it was for Police and their families. I remember the victorian interior with the changing rooms around the pool. My sister and I used to catch the bus from our Police house in Sheldon and after got chips and a pickled onion from the chippie down the road before catching the bus back, early 60's. I remember watching the Police water polo matches of which my Dad was a player, I learnt to swim there, its a real shame the interior was not protected as a "listed interior". Its now a mosque now I believe?
My dad, Doug Corrie, also played water polo there. Rick, what was your dad's name?

Hi Grea...
I knew John Butler, your brother-in-law very well. I got on quite well with him, as although I was a 'nozzer' so to speak, I was almost 27 when I joined the force. He was somewhat older than me, and yes he was a character indeed; a dry wit, and no lack of 'smarts'. Well thought of by the gaffers, and most everyone else who knew him. Most of his age group were the backbone of the force. He used to regale us with tales of his National Service, in Aden, (if I am not mistaken) and he had a full 'handlebar' moustache at one point. He plodded the beat from Thornhill Road too, for a while, and lived in Handsworth Wood if I recall correctly. There is BBC footage of him in connection with a serious incident in the mid nineteen-seventies.
Thanks for the memory.

John Walker

Thanks for the response! No he didn’t need a radio God Bless Him. Yes I am his son and was in the job 1972_2005. My son was wise enough to choose a different career! Where did you work with my dad?
The same place I seem to remember meeting you! :) At Thornhill. I was on the Dog Section at the time, and Ted cost me a brace of high profile prisoners, as he wouldn't let me come in to speak to CID! Happy days.

John Walker (Retired 1990)

Hi all Paul Such here I have just joined the forum I was in Birmingham City Police from 1960 to 1965 when I left to come to Australia Initially stationed at Sparkhill as F119 living in single men's quarters there and then at Kings Heath until transferring to Traffic Motorcycle patrols at Duke Street as R 348 does anyone remmeber me?
You might recall Roger Ryder, Ken Wareham and Ralph Pettit then?

John Walker

We had a cop living just across the road from us in the 1940s a Mr Summers stationed at Kingstanding, he'd wave his finger at us when we were playing football/cricket in the road as he went off on his bike but never bothered us much.

Back