• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham City Centre Video June 2015

Sean Allen

proper brummie kid
Hi Guys Hope this is appropriate to add here I am new to the forum and have checked throughout to see if there is any restrictions on adding a video link and couldnt see any (sorry admin if I have missed it) but here is a short video I took around Birmingham City just over a week ago hope you like it and enjoy the local buskers.
Sending Love from Ireland

Last edited by a moderator:
What a lovely video of Birmingham as it is today. Have the urge to book up for a trip on the narrow boat [barge] Sean. Welcome to the forum Sean.

Thanks for the video Sean. A lot has changed in over very many years since I was there but I did recognise some buildings.

One thing I never saw before was the clock on St. Philips cathedral. But I guess as a youngster there was just too much going on a street level to attract my attention.

thanks Radiorails I am so glad to be here, there is so much I need to find out about this beautiful city and its people :)

Excellent video which captures the city centre very well.

I go up Birmingham a lot taking photos of the city (mainly buildings) but you have taken many shots of the buildings around the city far better than I have ever done, you obviously have a good "eye" for angles and composition (trained in photography?).

Unfortunately Birmingham does have a somewhat negative reputation around the rest of the UK so it is good to see videos like yours showing how interesting and attractive the city centre can be.

So an excellent video and well done.

I loved this video! I've bookmarked it for my Husband to watch later, He can't get around the City Centre any more, he will be amazed how much things have changed.
rosie.

Sean, certainly no restrictions on you posting that wonderful video of our beautiful city. Thank you.

Rosie so glad you enjoyed the video and I am so happy that your Hubby will get to see it. I only wish I could have spent longer there and done it more justice I have not even scraped the surface but I look forward to moving there to live in October. Sending Love from Ireland to you and your Hubby

Thank you guilbert53 I bet your photos are perfect and you must have an amazing archive built up. I used to be a professional photographer self taught but walked away from my old life including photography in 2003 in a state of depression BUT cutting a long story short 7/8 yrs ago the dark clouds lifted when a Brummie lass came into my life :) and I have since become a holistic therapist here in Waterford Ireland, but out of the blue last year my sister sent me down a parcel with 6000+ of my old b+w negatives taken between 1987-2003 mainly street photography which I had not seen since 2003 and so for the past few months I have been trying to recapture that love affair with photography again and trying to get my eye back in focus and Birmingham has been the first real outing with the new camera I got given just over a month ago :) prior to that I had no interest in photography and no camera :) but now I am buzzing looking forward to the next photo and I owe so much to my week visiting family in Birmingham :)

Sean 5 minutes in to your video you shows the reflections in the new silver border round New Street station.

Well here is a photo I took just a few weeks ago of the same thing

And 3 minutes 25 seconds in to your video you have a scene of a roundabout on a canal.

You may be interested to see how it looked about 30 years ago

Pete went a walk round town today by the law courts while I was at the dental hospital. He commented how clean everywhere was.

Hi Alan Pete was pleasantly surprised with what he saw. I know Worcester is very clean as my niece lived there till last year.

guilbert53 that is brilliant you are going to be my first port of call when I move to Birmingham in October haha great photos and I said it before but I bet you have an amazing archive of work. I smile at your photo of New Street border and the same angle as my video :) here is a still I took that day also, not as good as yours btw and your exposure and contrast is perfect, but it is great to see how similar our minds work :) New Street.jpg

Thank you Sean for posting your video which I enjoyed watching very much. I also enjoyed the accompanying music. I left Birmingham eighteen years ago moving to Devon. It was interesting to see how much the City has changed during that time; for the better, I would say. Welcome to Birmingham and the Forum.

Anthea

Thank you Anthea :) glad you enjoyed it and the buskers were great I really enjoyed them also :) Devon is a beautiful part of the country 18 yrs in one place sounds like you have found a new home :) Maybe a trip up to Birmingham is on the cards :)

Back