• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Cinemas

Hi Jeeze625,and welcome to the forum.
Best I can do is that the Bournebrook Electric Theatre,Grange Road Selly Oak was opened c1911 closed 1933 and turned into a factory,subsequently demolished.

Colin

Welcome Jeeze625 I can only confirm Colins findings ( Must get is info from the same place as me:D )

Anyway enjoy the BHW as I'm sure you will, keep the questions coming you are sure to get some sort of reply in the positive:)

Hi Alf,The Picture Palaces of Birmingham & Solihull by Chris & Rosemary Clegg is that the same one

Colin

Just watched a nice little 15 minute programme on Channel 4 all about the beginning of the ODEON and his son talking about the start of it at Perry Barr. First time I had ever seen anyone from his family other than on Photographs, great:)

Hercules Films
--------------

1959 Hercules

1960 Hercules Against Rome

1960 Hercules Unchained

1961 Hercules in the Haunted World

1963 Hercules Against the Sons of Sam

1963 Hercules and the Captive Women

1964 Hercules Against the Moon Men

1965 Hercules Samson and Ulysses

News Cinema Relaxant

1950's - Whenever I visited Birmingham to train for a competition, my coaches always used to take me to the News Cinema between training and the competition - to relax me! The news didn't seem to be so horrific then. Good news made the news in those days.
Anne

Hi

A really great Cinema was the Bristol.
Alway's showed some fantastic Pictures.
Im sure it did How the West was Won.
This huge projection of what was 3 films
projected on a huge curved Screen.
If you sat near the front it went around you.
Another great film was the Battle of the Bulge.
A great loss. Im not sure of this multi screens
one picture and your out. In a few weeks the
Video is out and within a year its in the 2 for £5.

Mike Jenks

I agree Mike- the Bristol Cinema was a great place. The new filming techniques that came along in the l950's bettered technicolour and gave us several options to watch a film....3D, Toddao, Cinemascope come to mind.
A lot different nowadays. The cinema down the road from me has 21 screens:Aah:

Thanks Alf.. I will have a look at that site today. Just got started here
at 7:30am. I haven't listened to David Jacob's latest show but will now.
I'll try and remember to put a reminder on for next Sunday's 40th year birthday for BBC2. Lots of interesting programmes are planned.

Was there a cinema near Ethel St/New Street

Help !!! My husband thinks there was a cinema near to Ethel Street/New
Street....is he right ??? Lived too long away from B'ham I'm afraid, so my
memory is VERY hazy on this matter !!!
Margaret.

There was Margaret not sure if it is now I haven't been to Brum in 10 years but somebody will tell you very high Gods seats.:)

Bit more info on the Forum

The street address of the Forum Cinema was 88/90 New Street (cormer of Ethel Street), Birmingham It originally opened as the Theatre De Luxe in 1908 (a conversion of a Masonic Hall). In the 1920's it was re-named Regent Cinema and was taken over by ABC Cinemas.

ABC commissioned their staff architect William R. Glen to reconstruct a modern cinema within the shell of the old building. Due to site restrictions it was a rather tall narrow cinema seating a total of 1,259 (501 stalls, 348 balcony and 410 upper circle). It was equipped with a Compton theatre organ. The Forum Cinema opened on 1st November 1930 and operated as a popular city centre cinema for the ABC circuit, due to its prime location. However it was no match for the new breed of 'Super' cinemas that were being built such as the Gaumont Palace, Steelhouse Lane (1031) or the Paramount which opened just along New Street in 1937. ABC actually had much better cinemas operating in the suburbs of the city, than their Forum in the city centre.

Aston I played 7 Days a week at Villa Park, including the House Team which used to play on Sunday. I know the name Prince where did they come from. I had a 267 at Villa Park on Christmas Eve 1965. In 3 years I had a Career average 184 per game. I also had a 192 average over 23 matches reported in the Argus. It wasn't my best sport that was Football.

Alf..I used to league bowl at Villa Park in the early 60s. We played on a Sunday afternoon in the "Bugs Bunny League" Our team was called "2 hits and a miss" My husbands average was 172 mine 148.We played in a league here in Leamington until I had to pack up in 2000 due to injury..
Aston...
The Auto Spares played in the same league as us.They were posh they had shirts with there names on.:D My brother was secratary of the league. Bob Amos...

Yes happy days I've got this to show you, remember.

View attachment 9328

LCC Garages also supplied us we a van for away travel, Happy Days 1963

Last edited:
Yes , remember the score cards, much better than the computerised ones they use now. My memory let me down in my last message. Our team was called "The X Unknowns". The team " 2 hits and a miss" played in the same league. When I started playing hear, I stole there name:Aah: :Aah: :Aah:
Also used to play at Wylde Green.Used to tell my Mom I was stopping at a friends house:rolleyes: over night, and used to go to the midnight Bowling...

Last edited by a moderator:
Apollo theatre?? Tyburn road

Does anyone have any information or pics of the Apollo theatre on Tyburn Road, my mother thinks it closed down about 40 years ago but isnt sure and i'm trying to find out for her.

Hi Stay ,Welcome to the forum,sorry no picture but

"The Apollo ,Tyburn Road
Architect A.L.Snow
Opened 17th March 1930 with The Cockeyed World starring Edmund Lowe.
The Apollo had a conventional frontage,but an exotic auditorium behind.It had a two manual,six unit Compton organ which was removed in 1958 to a private residence.
Closed 1959 and demolished"

Hope that helps

Colin

APOLLO PICTURE PLAYHOUSE (BTH) Tyburn Road Opened c.1931. Architect: A. L. Snow. 1941 - Prop., Apollo Picture Playhouse, Ltd., 8, Waterloo Street, Birmingham, Phone Mid, 4173. 1,225 seats, Booked at Hall. Prices 8d. to 1s. 6d, Continuous from 2 p.m. Sun. from 3 p.m. Phone Erdington 0834. Stations, New Street, L.M.S., & Snow Hill, G.W.R. Films by Road Transport. Demolished

The only thing i could find on the internet

WELLCOME TO THE SITE.

:) Welcome Stay enjoy

Thank you Colin & Billc mislaid my book while sorting my study:)

Missed These Post About Auto Spares & Villa Bowl, My Brother David Jenney Played For A Number Of Teams In Those Day One Was "brian Brewers" Auto Spares, Villa Park "a" & Brew 11, Two Others.
John Prince & His Brother Played Most Of There Games At The Old Pavilion Bowl, John Lived Just Off Collage Rd By The Crossways Pub (as It Was Then) He Worked With Me At Gec Witton In The Contracts Office.
Aston

Bowling Autospares.

This will be nice for you Aston.

I have a record of the match when we played Autospares 8th Jan 1964

I always played No 3 for my team, No 3 was called Anchor Man. that night your Brother was their No 3, I beat him 2-1 by just 42 pins and we won the match by 25pins. Autospares were our great rivals at Villa Park.

I'll scan you a copy of that match later Aston. Wonder if your Brother remembered me

Back