• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

There was a tobacconists if i remember correctly at the top of Snow hill on the right hand side, they sold many many different types of cigarrettes tobacco and snuff, i liked the odd pinch of white snuff Mmmmmmmm could do with a sniff now.

His PRESENCE was special. Superior faces to Brando's were...Now we move into the decade of the fifties. New faces on thescreen but first, let’s recall those faces belonged to the following actors:

G Garbo Cooper
M Dietrich T Power
Maria Felix RTaylor
Vivien Leigh C Gable
Rita Hayworth L Olivier
K Hepburn C Grant
I Bergman R Donat
H Lamarr Crabbe
J Russell
L Turner
Claire Trevor
J Crawford
B Stanwyck
L Young

Of all the male actors of the decade of the fifties, Brando comes to mind. Of course, he was handsome to a degree quite above average, but it wasn’t so much that face of his as it was his acting abilities and sheer screen presence. His PRESENCE was special. Perhaps superior faces to Brando’s were Alan Ladd’s, Cary Grant’s, Rock Hudson’s, Paul Newman’s, and young Dean Martin’s. I can’t bring myself to say that young Robert Mitchum’s face was superior to Brando’s, although it comes close. It wouldn’t be unusual for some readers to prefer Mitchum’s face because of the cleft chin and/or its manliness. Other men’s faces that also come near Brando’s in handsomeness during this decade are Stewart Granger’s (See it in ‘Salome’!), William Holden’s, Olivier’s, and Heston’s. Some people may like Victor Mature’s face, but it certainly wasn’t a first tier face. Now, let’s move on to the female faces.

The famous violet-eyed Elizabeth Taylor can be mentioned now as she is all grown up during this decade. She was never more radiant than she was in ‘Cat On A Hot Tin Roof’ and ‘A Place In The Sun’. In fact, for the fifties and part of the sixties, she’s hard to beat. Who could? Who did? Monroe, could, of course, but she’s practically the only one. Even at that, she didn’t and some of it had to do with her acting ability. For beauty only, they ran neck-to-neck for a good number of years - one, the blonde and the other, the brunette. We should mention those other beauties who came close to these two lionesses of countenance, however. They are Sophia Loren, Rita Hayworth, Diana Dors, Jane Russell, Ingrid Bergman, and, not least of these, Grace Kelly. Other beauties a bit farther down are Eva Marie Saint, Angie Dickinson, Dorothy Dandridge, Doris Day, Kim Novak, and Judy Garland. Some people might even move one or two of these actresses to the next tier descending. For example, Judy Garland was a lovely young girl, therefore, beautiful, in her late teens and early twenties, but later much of it faded for various reasons. Then again, she is not thought of in terms of mainly beauty (as is Garbo, for instance) but more in terms of a good and/or great non-operatic singer, depending on one’s tastes. She’s sort of like a generation before Streisand.

Natalie Wood was the prettiest thing in ‘Rebel Without A Cause’ and had a special appeal to many of the viewers in her audiences. However, she was not truly a first- or second-tier beauty. Well, maybe second, right?

James Dean is here now in this decade in full force. His acting was similar or on par with that of Brando’s, but Dean did not have the Brando face, although he certainly matched the power of Brando’s screen presence.

Also, let me add a personal preference that has only grown over the years. It is Lee Remick. She’s with Jimmy Stewart in ‘Anatomy of a Murder’. What Remick lacked in first- or second-tier beauty, she made up for in charm and personal/screen appeal. Even years later look at her elegance in ‘The Omen,’ alongside the great Gregory Peck.

I hope I haven’t left out any major actor or actress of the fifties where a face is mainly concerned. Millions loved Audrey Hepburn and she did, indeed, have a cute and appealing face. Young Bette Davis and Shirley MacLaine did too. There are probably several foreign actors and actresses who could be named but aren’t due to my lack of knowledge of them. I know about Moreau, Bardot, and Lollobrigida, but I am not sure just where they would fit among these American names.

Last edited by a moderator:
Catkin. On reflection the tobaconist's shop was on the corner of Livery Street at Snow Hill.
Beryl,
Two male names I would add to any list would be that of Glenn Ford and odd maybe but that of Jack Palance. The latter always personified evil, with his jutting neck veins, in a lot of his roles

That's right Willoughby i should have remembered i worked in livery street for a time. in an office of course.

Beryl M Where is my Victor Mature, HE USED TO BE STUCK TO MY DESK LID.

What about Richard Todd, in the Hasty Heart,playing a Scotish Soldier who is very bitter about the fact he is dying (well who can blame him) the love interest was Patricia Neal. I broke my heart seeing that film.
maggie

Well catkin - you will just have to add Victure Mature to the list - I like more the David Niven and Cary Grant type myself

Let's not forget the musicals, as Sylvia says, Gordon Macray, Dan Dailey, Frank Sinatra, Mario Lanza, Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Katherine Grayson, Ann Blythe, Jane Powell.They filled the cinemas, when there was a new musical on you had to queue to get in ...........

Last edited:
I have always been partial to a bit of rough, sorry i could not resist, once a devil always a devil.

Just watched Gene Kelly in the Musical 'American In Paris' Magic:love:

Di, I agree with your list, we are of the same generation, and I can remember queuing for ages to see the latest releases, especially Sunday afternoons at the cinemas in town, Odeon, Gaumont, Forum, the Futurist etc. Mustn't leave out Doris Day in the list of musical stars - Love me or Leave me, Calamity Jane, plus she was a good actress and light comedy actress with Rock Hudson. Mention of Rock - I used to drool over him when I was young, what a shock it was to see him years later on Parkinson when he was suffering from aids. Just shows you can't judge a book by its cover.

That reminds me of Dirk Bogarde, he was a very handsome young film star.

Orient Cineama

Does anyone remember the Orient, I am sure i can remember a man that dressed up as a women working there.I dont remember if he was behind the pay desk (I think he was,) or selling ice cream. He had a big adams apple and a very curly wig,and lots of rouge and lipstick.

Fred Astair Ginger Rogers Donald Connor Cyd Cerise - and how many more

I could never forget Doris Day, Sylvia, I thought she was wonderful. :)

During the war (ok wiseguys 2nd, not 1st) I lived with my mom in Hamstead, the beacon was our local cinema up in Gt Barr. On Saturday nights mom would go to the Scotts with some of the family and she would take me over to the Beacon where a friend of hers was an usherette, so I could sit in and watch the film until they closed and mom came to get me. Heaven. Almost the first film I ever saw there during that time was Moonlight Bay. Doris Day and Gordon MaCray. They don't make 'em like that anymore.:rolleyes:

Dick Barton

I can still re-call the agony of it. Every Saturday morning I went to my
Nans down the road. Mom and Dad worked even in those day's. I looked forward to the weekly sequal. Suddenly out of Radio A story of Country Folk blurted out. I was in shock where had Dick gone. I messed around with the Tuning dial but all I could was Ambridge and Dan and Doris.
Years later the Goverment had decided Labour to cut out programmes
with violence. Programme last Broadcast 30th March 1951. Churchill wins
election 26th October 1951. Was there a connection?
Ted Ray and Kitty Bluet ran 1949 to 1961. Huge ammount of TV actors
cut their teeth with him.
Billy Cotton theres a sad memory attended all ABA Boxing Finals at Wembly.
I was within a few rows when he collasped and died 1969 at Wmbley.
Great show all that fun and noise Russ Conway Allan Breeze.
Great Days.

Mike

hi
Valentine Dyall great stories Apointment with fear from the Man
in Black.
Last I saw of him he played dr Kedelmas in the Secret Army.

Mike

The Real Men smoked [ royal navy capstone ciggies ]
And The Posers , Would Have Smoked Dunnil International ,
And They Would Have Carried The Dunnil Logo Lighter
With Them To Give The Ladies A Light
The Bloke,s Whom Smoked Sobraners , And The Cock tails Ciggies
Were Found To Be Strange , And Found To Fequent Yateies WINE BARS
Down The Towns ,
My First Drag Of A Ciggie Was A Little In Size AND In A Paper Packet
Of Dominoes For A Little Cost Of SIXPENCE,
For A Packet Of Four , Which I Got From A Tobbacoist on spring hill
Right Next Door To The Spring hill Libary ,

Mike i had forgotten it was called the man in black.

Female poser. Astonian. Mmmmmmmmmmm poof

My Nan was an Usherette at the Odeon, Kingstanding. My Dad was a cine projectionist for many years and met my Mom when she was a cashier at the cinema where they worked. I just can't remember the name of it! I know Dad used to work at the Futurist, but it was another one. Mom lived in Ladywood at the time (Grosvenor Street) and Dad in Kingstanding.

Robin Hood Hall Green

Hi

Copy Photo of the Robin Hood Hall Green.
For some reason every year it showed the Errol
Flynn version of the said Name with Basil Rathbone.
One hot Summers day my Cousin David sadly gone
struggled on two buses to the Cinema from Stechford.
Earlier in the day I had shattered a window nect door
stone throwing and I new when Dad got home I was
for it. Stuggled through the Film the Cinema was quite
a posh one like the Beaufort at the Fox and Goose.
I got it when Dad finnished his Tea and grounded.
Dad being a skilled guy decided to undertake the repair
of next doors window himself. We got the glass
around 3x3 and started to fit it in. Well would you
beleive a gust of wind blew it staight in the neighbours
front Room. Glass all over the place.
Funny how a picture how can have some strange memories.

Mike

Billc great Photos:-

Spotted in Photos

Orient D.D Advert

V.Cross Indian Films

Globe Closed

Scala Fort Algiers Film (1953)

Era Closed 1957

Cheers & More please:)

Yes Di, when I worked at the Mayfair I use to go to the preview of all the new Films coming out, great perk with all the Press & Cinema Managers in the Midlands.:)

The first Film I saw was The Iron Mistress with Alan Ladd & Viginia Mayo about Jim Bowie.

Did I miss you again Di I use to queue there as well, in fact we had to queue at most town Cinemas at weekends in the 50s.

Last edited:
Bournbrook picture house

Hello all,

First of all a "hi" to all. I just recently joined and have found this site a facinating source of information!!

I'd like to know if anyone has any information regarding a small picture house that was in Bournbrook. It was supposedly situated between the Old Varsity Tavern and the Westley Richards gun factory about half way down on Grange Road.

I've heard of references about this in various books etc, but have never seen any photographs, or met anyone that knew it was there. I guess we are talking 1930's till about the 60's?

Many thanks for any information.

Regards

Lee

Back