• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Cinemas

What memories that has brought back for me i have visited quite a few of those cinemas, I remember Frank Riago at the Plaza Stockland Green and Kitty at the pavilion Wylde Green. my younger years at the Mayfair watching Emperor Ming and flash Gorden, i also came out once with a few nasty friends, itch, itch. Happy days.

Cinemas

Don't forget the Carlton in Taunton Road Sparkbrook,to my knowledge it was the only cinema in Birmingham to have a lift, I visited the area many years later when it had been demolished and was amazed at how small the site was that it had occupied.

picture house called the gaity

hi does anyone recall the gaity picture house nechells i think i have spelt it wrong tho spent many a sat morning there eating choc ices etc god bless all mary

How about the Regal in Handsworth. I spent many a happy Sunday afternoon there in 1955. There was also the Elite on Soho Road, and of course, the Villa Cross which has already been mentioned. I used to work opposite the Palladium in Hockley - all these were in walking distance of where I lived.

Judy

My main cinemas: The Oden Perry Barr for the sixpenny crush on Saturday mornings: The Birchfield - standing outside "will you take me in please Mister?" (wouldn't do THAT today!!): The Orient Aston, Palladium Hockley, Regal and Elite Soho Road: Villa Cross (beatiful inside): ABC Fleabag in Aston (tiny) and I remember travelling to the cinema in Windmill Lane Smethwick to see "Psycho" - except that I didn't see much of the film, I was too scared!
Now it's all souless multi-plexes. Am I getting old? Nah!

My main cinemas: The Oden Perry Barr for the sixpenny crush on Saturday mornings: The Birchfield - standing outside "will you take me in please Mister?" (wouldn't do THAT today!!): The Orient Aston, Palladium Hockley, Regal and Elite Soho Road: Villa Cross (beatiful inside): ABC Fleabag in Aston (tiny) and I remember travelling to the cinema in Windmill Lane Smethwick to see "Psycho" - except that I didn't see much of the film, I was too scared!
Now it's all souless multi-plexes. Am I getting old? Nah!

What about the Globe Charlie8)

Managed to avoid the Globe Alf. Can't even remember where it was (senior moment). My stomping grounds were more towards the Perry Barr side of Handsworth. The Regal was for when the current boyfriend was trying to impress me, The Elite for when he wasn't and the Odeon and Birchfield for convenience. The rest when with friends or trying to get into an X film!

Tudor Cinema, Kings Heath

Does anyone have a connection with the Tudor Cinema, Kings Heath, in the 1930's? My Mom and Dad both worked there and I would like to find out a bit more what it was like around 1932-1935. I do have a photo of the staff in 1932.

Judy

Hi Judy,the Tudor was opened on 30th March 1929 and could seat 1000 people,it closed 17th March 1962 and reopened as a Bingo and Social Club.It has now been demolished,and sheltered housing has been built on the site.

Colin

What memories that has brought back for me i have visited quite a few of those cinemas, I remember Frank Riago at the Plaza Stockland Green and Kitty at the pavilion Wylde Green. my younger years at the Mayfair watching Emperor Ming and flash Gorden, i also came out once with a few nasty friends, itch, itch. Happy days.

I worked at the Mayfair in the 1950s in the Projection Room:)

Last edited:
When did you leave Alf,? i remember the manager, he was very tall and slim but i can't remember his name. I also remember watching the smoke drift into the projectors beam of light, fascinating. Thought i would ask you, is the spinney still there.? we would wait there for the school bus, the railings were bent so we would run about inside, great fun, Happy days.

Hi Colin

Thanks for the information and the great photo. Do you know the date of the photo as I see it has "Tudor" above the entrance whereas the photos I have don't have that. Here are my two photos. I don't know the date of the oldest but would imagine it would be around 1935. (Robert Montgomery and Spencer Tracy are in the films advertised). The colour photo was taken by me around 1987 when it was a Bingo Hall.

Judy

Last edited:
Does Anybody Remember The Lyric
Down At The Sand Pitts And The Three Penny Crush
It Was Just Down From The Ice Rink By Spring Hill
Or The Victoria 6 Penny Matney Afternoon Crush
At Victoria Road Aston ,and Of The Weekly Series Of
Flash Gordon , Never To Been Missed , ? .
Have A Nice Day Everybody Astonian , ;;;;;;

When did you leave Alf,? i remember the manager, he was very tall and slim but i can't remember his name. I also remember watching the smoke drift into the projectors beam of light, fascinating. Thought i would ask you, is the spinney still there.? we would wait there for the school bus, the railings were bent so we would run about inside, great fun, Happy days.

I believe he was Mike Smith Tall Blond with nasty wife bossing the staff around all the time.

No idea if the Spinney is still there I haven't been for years I lived here in Suffolk 19 this month. where do you live Catkin:)

Does Anybody Remember The Lyric
Down At The Sand Pitts And The Three Penny Crush
It Was Just Down From The Ice Rink By Spring Hill
Or The Victoria 6 Penny Matney Afternoon Crush
At Victoria Road Aston ,and Of The Weekly Series Of
Flash Gordon , Never To Been Missed , ? .
Have A Nice Day Everybody Astonian , ;;;;;;

Yes History is:-

Was the Queens Hall Edward Street.

Which had been The Church Of Our Saviour built for the Preacher, George Dawson.

Queens Hall was showing Films by 1907.

In 1919 the Queens Hall was turned into a Full-time Cinema and renamed the Lyric.

It was closed in the late 1950s and demolished:(

Hi Colin

Thanks for the information and the great photo. Do you know the date of the photo as I see it has "Tudor" above the entrance whereas the photos I have don't have that. Here are my two photos. I don't know the date of the oldest but would imagine it would be around 1935. (Robert Montgomery and Spencer Tracy are in the films advertised). The colour photo was taken by me around 1987 when it was a Bingo Hall.

Judy

JUDY

It opened on 30TH March 1929 and closed 1963 and became a Bingo Hall.:)

Thanks Alf For The Information On The LRCIC
I Never Knew The History Of IT ,There Frontage TO The Front Door
Was You Walked Up About Twelve Steps To Walk In
Every Saturday Morning We Would Go To See A Film , And Cheer Like Mad
Stamp Our Feet And Whistle Like Mad
When Old Flash Gordon Came On
After Seeing A Western OF Hopa long Casidy , OR Big John Wayne
Or Even Better Roy Rogers And Trigger
We Would Make Out Way To The Sand pitts
And Chase Each Other Playing Cow Boy And Indians
Before Going Home For Dinner ,
Those Where The Days ,If I Was,nt THERE I Would Have At The Edgbaston Pic , House , on Monument RD. OR At The Crown Picture House , On ICNIELD PORT ROAD LADY WOOD
Where I Went To See PAT BOONE,S FILM
CALLED APRIL LOVE ,
I MUST HAVE BEEN A HUNDRED TIMES TO SEE THAT FILM ,
Afternoon Mattnee , Evening Session As Well As The Sat- MORNING.
Once Again ALF . Thanks For The Info; Speak Again Mate ASTONIAN ;;;

Judy,sorry it's taken a while I have been in touch with the owner of the photo ,he suggests the date would be about 1950-52.

Colin

To Colin and Alf - thanks for the information, every little bit helps to fit the jigsaw together :) Judy

:)
Thanks Alf For The Information On The LRCIC
I Never Knew The History Of IT ,There Frontage TO The Front Door
Was You Walked Up About Twelve Steps To Walk In
Every Saturday Morning We Would Go To See A Film , And Cheer Like Mad
Stamp Our Feet And Whistle Like Mad
When Old Flash Gordon Came On
After Seeing A Western OF Hopa long Casidy , OR Big John Wayne
Or Even Better Roy Rogers And Trigger
We Would Make Out Way To The Sand pitts
And Chase Each Other Playing Cow Boy And Indians
Before Going Home For Dinner ,
Those Where The Days ,If I Was,nt THERE I Would Have At The Edgbaston Pic , House , on Monument RD. OR At The Crown Picture House , On ICNIELD PORT ROAD LADY WOOD
Where I Went To See PAT BOONE,S FILM
CALLED APRIL LOVE ,
I MUST HAVE BEEN A HUNDRED TIMES TO SEE THAT FILM ,
Afternoon Mattnee , Evening Session As Well As The Sat- MORNING.
Once Again ALF . Thanks For The Info; Speak Again Mate ASTONIAN ;;;

What memories Aston:)

I saw April Love at the Gaumont Weymouth 1958 the year I got Married;)

Thats the last time I saw it other than on TV

The film came out in 1957

I think the last film I saw at the West End was "South Pacific". You're right, it was a lovely comfortable cinema - far too posh for me to go there often. Another sad loss for Brum though, along with the Scala nearby.

Hello Alf, I was born in The Ridgeway, and spent most of my time in and around the area, i loved it and would go back if it was still the same. I now live in a small village in Mid Devon very peaceful and quiet but i miss Brum dreadfully. Catkin

I think the last film I saw at the West End was "South Pacific". You're right, it was a lovely comfortable cinema - far too posh for me to go there often. Another sad loss for Brum though, along with the Scala nearby.
Charlie I used to go to the Westend lots in the 60s Magnificent Seven was one I enjoyed:)

The Westend was formally the Cuzon Hall and was in Suffolk Street

It opened as the Westend Monday 9th March 1925 it was due to close in 1965 when the Organ was removed, but closed Saturday 18th March 1967 Demolished for Ring Road Suffolk Queensway

Last edited:
Can anyone remember the Ballroom next to the Westend, the Street next to it all the Coaches which carried the National Sevice Brummies back to their camps picked us all up at Sunday Midnight can anyone recall that?:)

I went to both the West End cinema and danced at the West End Ballroom. I went with my then boy friend and it was some years after National Service ended. I remember seeing "Blue Hawaii" with Elvis Presley at the cinema.
Wasn't there a photo of the West End Cinema on this site somewhere? The site became the Holiday Inn many years ago.

I went to both the West End cinema and danced at the West End Ballroom. I went with my then boy friend and it was some years after National Service ended. I remember seeing "Blue Hawaii" with Elvis Presley at the cinema.
Wasn't there a photo of the West End Cinema on this site somewhere? The site became the Holiday Inn many years ago.

Confirmed Jenny Great Ballroom Great Bands & Singers:)

My husband tells me many stories about the West End Dances he and his mates used to go to.

I have danced all over Brum, many a time i came home with nothing on my feet.

Back