• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham buses

I know it as 'gear change pedal'. The selector is the lever on the steering column to select which gear you want next. See https://daimlerandlanchester.com/how-to-drive-a-pre-selector/
Lloyd, I accept 'gear change pedal' but i called it a selector pedal ,not a selector lever. I drive LOG 302 a BCT Daimler at Aldridge transport museum which has the lever on the steering column , some other BCT standards had floor 'sticks'. to select pre select gears.

some other BCT standards had floor 'sticks'. to select pre select gears.
Those were Guy Arabs Brian, using a very similar gearbox and a pedal to effect the change. Later versions of the box in Rear engined chassis were directly selected using air pressure, sometimes electrically operated.

MidlanD Red used Setright machines. Easy to use, and not too heavy. When I was a conductor in 1958, based at Sutton Garage, the machine was issued on a daily basis. On a Saturday night in the rush hour running a 119 to Great Barr, standing load from the Dog Track at Perry Barr...the machine used to get red hot, but hardly ever let me down. Thanks for the memory.

For more information on tickets and the machines that issued them.

Albion used the 'sunrise' as an advertising slogan through most of their time. Eventually they were swallowed by the Leyland conglomerate, their last products being badge-engineered Leyland products for Scottish customers.

View attachment 188902
Trivia, I believe that ALBION were the first to produce the underfloor engine, and remember their advert for this innovative design. Thanks guys.

I think that you will find the B&MMO (Midland Red) were the first have underfloor engined vehicles. During the early part of WW2 single deck bus BHA 1 was produced this lead to the S6 class of buses in 1946;
The Albion Nimbus, their u/floor bus was in 1955.

Back