• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Branch of The Old Contemptibles' Association

Andrew Thornton

Brummie babby
I am currently putting together a history of the Birmingham Branch of The Old Contemptibles' Association, which will recount the story of the Branch and its Chums from its formation in February 1928 until the death of the last remaining Chums in 1987.

Although I already have a lot of material collated on the activities of the Branch, I would love to hear from any relatives of Chums of the Birmingham Branch.

Unfortunately the records of the Branch are not known to have survived so I hope that my project will help to fill this gap and tell their story.

Attachments

• IMG_20230226_130829.png
    IMG_20230226_130829.png
    1 MB · Views: 15
This plaque was shown by Vivienne14 in St Martin's church

This plaque was shown by Vivienne14 in St Martin's church
Hello RobT.

Thanks for that. Here are some snippets regarding the planning for the Branch Memorial and its unveiling and dedication on 19 October 1952. Originally it was proposed to site the Memorial Plaque inside St Philip's Cathedral (where the Branch Standard and Queen's Colour were laid up in 1978), but it subsequently found a home in St Martin's:

The Old Contemptible – No. 203, December 1950

BIRMINGHAM.
Greetings for Xmas and the New Year to all Chums everywhere. We were so struck by the Sidcup Branch Memorial, erected in the Parish Church, that we have decided to explore the possibility of obtaining a faculty to erect one ourselves in the Cathedral Church, and we are grateful to Sidcup Branch for sending us full details. We also hope to obtain permission to have our Standard and King’s Colour placed on either side of the Memorial when not required for Parades, etc. Chums O. W. Turland, late R.A.M.C.; J. W. Burnell, late 10th Royal Hussars; and L. Green, late R.E., have recently joined us. We were also glad to see Chum Hurlston, our Hon. Treasurer in early days. We are presenting the Directors of the Birmingham City Football Club with a framed and inscribed copy of our Branch Photograph, to replace one which was destroyed by enemy action during the war.
E. H. RICHARDSON.

The Old Contemptible – No. 221, June 1952

BIRMINGHAM.
The monthly meeting held on 30th April was better attended than our A.G.M., in fact, there were nearly double the number of Chums present. A draft sketch of our proposed Memorial Plaque to be placed in the Birmingham Parish Church was on view, and its beauty could be seen, even at this stage. It was agreed to apply for a faculty to the Rector, and we have no doubt that it will be approved. When this has been done, we shall order “Full speed ahead” for its carving, etc., and afterwards organise a parade, the like of which will hardly have been equalled in the City. Such is our optimism! We are going into the question of a summer outing this year, and a special sub-committee has been formed for this purpose. Meanwhile all goes well, and we hope all Branches can report likewise. Best wishes to all Chums.
E. H. R.

The Old Contemptible – No. 224, September 1952

BIRMINGHAM.
We are holding our Annual Church Parade on Sunday, August 10th, at Sutton Coldfield Church, where our Padre, Rev. J. H. Boggon is Rector. The Salute will be taken, and the preached by the Lord Bishop of Salisbury, who many years ago was our Chaplain. We expect a good muster of Chums. An outing to Northampton Aquadrome takes place on August 31st, half the cost being subsidised by Branch funds. We had a visit recently from Chum Spooner, of our Adelaide Branch. He is an old “Brummie” and is paying a three months’ visit to his native City. Naturally we made him very welcome and got him some front page local newspaper “news” with photograph. We hope to unveil our Memorial in the Birmingham Parish Church on October 19th. Chum H. Turner, M.C., M.M., our much loved Chairman, is to perform the Ceremony, which is most appropriate, seeing as he “founded” our Branch, and has been Chairman ever since that time. All the best Chums.
RICHIE.

Birmingham Daily Gazette – 13 October 1952

There is not much money in the kitty of the Birmingham Old Contemptibles’ Association and unless a substantial donation is received it is likely that the committee will have to dip into the trust fund. It is costing the Association 76 guineas for a memorial plaque – to those who fell in World War I (sic) – which will be unveiled at St Martin’s Church, Bull Ring, on Sunday.

“It will not be a mournful affair,” insists the Branch secretary, Coun. E. H. Richardson. “We are not keen to dwell on past disasters, but rather to remember colleagues of an Association which is slowly passing out of existence.

Birmingham Daily Gazette – 20 October 1952

Past, Present and Future at Service

Symbols of the past, the present and the future were combined in a unique 85-minute service at Birmingham’s Parish Church, St Martin’s in the Bull Ring, yesterday morning.

As a full congregation looked on, a baby was baptised, a tablet was unveiled and a standard was dedicated – each ceremony conducted, in addition to the normal service, by Canon Bryan Green, Rector of Birmingham.

The past was symbolised by the dedication of the standard of the Royal Marines Association and the unveiling of a tablet erected by the Old Contemptibles Association’s Birmingham Branch in memory of fallen comrades.

‘Never Before’

The present was recognised by the dedication of the work of St Martin’s congregation and of the contingent of Sea Cadets who paraded two days before the anniversary of Trafalgar Day. The symbol of the future was baby Eleanor Mary Harrison, daughter of the Rev. P. G. S. Harrison, curate at the church. As she was baptised and received into the Church, the congregation joined in the responses.

The three-point service was the idea of Canon Green. “All these ceremonies fell on the one day, and I could see no point in postponing them,” he told the Birmingham Gazette afterwards.

I am currently putting together a history of the Birmingham Branch of The Old Contemptibles' Association, which will recount the story of the Branch and its Chums from its formation in February 1928 until the death of the last remaining Chums in 1987.

Although I already have a lot of material collated on the activities of the Branch, I would love to hear from any relatives of Chums of the Birmingham Branch.

Unfortunately the records of the Branch are not known to have survived so I hope that my project will help to fill this gap and tell their story.
Hi, my great grandfather was an Old Contemptible. I have his badge and war medals and would be interested in learning more. He passed away in 1984 so was one of the last few. There is also a photo of him along with seven or eight of the last of the Old Contemptibles, possibly the Birmingham branch, taken outside the Hall Of Memory in Birmingham (if I remember rightly) which I could probably get my hands on, but I suspect that you may already have this.

Hi, my great grandfather was an Old Contemptible. I have his badge and war medals and would be interested in learning more. He passed away in 1984 so was one of the last few. There is also a photo of him along with seven or eight of the last of the Old Contemptibles, possibly the Birmingham branch, taken outside the Hall Of Memory in Birmingham (if I remember rightly) which I could probably get my hands on, but I suspect that you may already have this.
Hello Terri. Who was your Great-Grandfather?

Hello Terri. Who was your Great-Grandfather?
Hi Andrew, he was Gunner John Edward Chaloner 69537.

I used to often pop into the Old C's in Edmund Street in the 70s and was fascinated by the many pictures and paintings, that related to the Old Contemptibles that met there back then. The following is from "The Birmingham Daily Post -14 November 1968":

“Some members of the Birmingham branch of the Old Contemptibles’ Association have complained in recent years that the food at their annual dinner was served cold. So last night the association made sure it was all cold – it held a cold buffet supper instead.

It was the first time since the branch was formed in 1927 (sic) that its function was an informal one. The social was held at the branch’s headquarters at the Old Contemptible Inn, Edmund Street. Mr David Lloyd, the Midland television personality, showed films of 1912 and onwards.”

In 2007 “The Old Contemptibles” was purchased by Nicholson’s Pubs and was renovated. On display within the pub is the collection of photographs and artefacts relating to the Birmingham Branch and The Old Contemptibles.

Photographs (1) a 1978 Old C's meeting, (2) the pub sign featuring the association badge (3) & (4) a ticket for a 1935 ball, held in Monument Rd:

1693391827145.png

1693392623746.png 1693393568890.png 1693394522569.png

Hello John

The photograph is actually of Chums of the South Staffordshire Branch and was taken in Wolverhampton on 11 November 1968.

I used to often pop into the Old C's in Edmund Street in the 70s and was fascinated by the many pictures and paintings, that related to the Old Contemptibles that met there back then. The following is from "The Birmingham Daily Post -14 November 1968":

“Some members of the Birmingham branch of the Old Contemptibles’ Association have complained in recent years that the food at their annual dinner was served cold. So last night the association made sure it was all cold – it held a cold buffet supper instead.

It was the first time since the branch was formed in 1927 (sic) that its function was an informal one. The social was held at the branch’s headquarters at the Old Contemptible Inn, Edmund Street. Mr David Lloyd, the Midland television personality, showed films of 1912 and onwards.”

In 2007 “The Old Contemptibles” was purchased by Nicholson’s Pubs and was renovated. On display within the pub is the collection of photographs and artefacts relating to the Birmingham Branch and The Old Contemptibles.

Photographs (1) a 1978 Old C's meeting, (2) the pub sign featuring the association badge (3) & (4) a ticket for a 1935 ball, held in Monument Rd:

View attachment 183742

View attachment 183745 View attachment 183748 View attachment 183749

More on the formation of the Birmingham Branch HQ from The Birmingham Daily Gazette of 7 February 1928:

“A branch of the Old Contemptibles’ Association has been inaugurated in Birmingham, with headquarters at the Albion Hotel, Livery-street. The Association is open for membership from all ranks who served in France or Belgium from August to November, 1914, and who are in possession of the 1914 star and clasp. The next meeting will take place at the branch headquarters on 21 March. The secretary is H. Turner, The Post Office, Walford-road, Sparkhill.”

The Albion Hotel continued to serve as the Headquarters of the Birmingham Branch and in January 1953 this link was further enhanced when Mitchells & Butlers renamed the pub in their honour. The ceremony, took place on 31 January 1953 and was reported in the April/May 1953 edition of the company’s magazine “The Deerstalker”:

“History was made on 31st January last when the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Alderman W. T. Bowen, performed a re-naming ceremony at “The Albion” Livery Street. As a compliment to the members of the Old Contemptibles’ Association who have been meeting here for the past 25 years, it was decided to rename the house “The Old Contemptible.”

A sign, designed by Bruce Bairnsfather, and depicting a typical British Tommy of the Kaiser’s War, was unveiled by the Lord Mayor to the strains of “‘Tipperary” heartily sung by the assembled company of old soldiers, whose lungs of brass, trained on the barrack square, proclaimed them to be very far from fading away. Mr Lawrence Mitchell, who presided, revealed that the change of name was the suggestion of Councillor E. H. Richardson, Secretary of the Old Contemptibles’ Association, and said that the Company was proud to institute a permanent memorial to a grand body of men.

The timing of the renaming ceremony was particularly appropriate, as it coincided with the Silver Jubilee of the foundation of the Association, and the house had been its headquarters during the whole of that period. Mr Lawrence said that so far as could be ascertained, this was the first house to be called “The Old Contemptible.”

After the unveiling of the sign, Mr. Bruce Bairnsfather gave an amusing account of the events that led up to the creation of “Old Bill” during his service in the front line trenches. His short breezy talk revealed that, had he not become a successful artist, he might well have topped the bill at “The Hippodrome.”

Not the least impressive part of the proceedings was the inspection by the Lord Mayor of a Guard of Honour provided by members of the Association. While spectators huddled together in the biting wind, the parade of old comrades, many without hats or coats, stood stiffly to attention, disdaining the whirling blizzard as unworthy of their notice. Five of our colleagues from Cape Hill, who were in the parade, Hoppy Walker, Charlie Matthews, Mickey Austin, Harry May and Tom Conniff were joined by an ex-servant of the Company, Billy Hart.

On the conclusion of the formal part of the proceedings, the members of the Association enjoyed a grand spread, and over a pint or two of good honest beer, were able to re-live many of the good old days way back in 1914. It was a memorable day for these grand old veterans, and enabled them to realise that their deeds of valour in the very early days of the First World War had earned enduring remembrance.”

Here is a report on a trip to Mons from the Birmingham Evening Mail (25 April 1974):

“Birmingham’s old soldiers need cash to mount a last pilgrimage to their 1st World War battlefields. The “Old Contemptibles” all now in their 80s, hope to revisit Mons where the British Expeditionary Force lost 5,000 men in their first day of its first battle of the war. Thirty survivors of the “Contemptible Little Army” which stood up to an army ten times its size, meet every month in Birmingham. They intend to fly to Belgium for the last time on the sixtieth anniversary of the battle – August 22. Mr Edwin Farley, of Conway Road, Chelmsley Wood, is President of the Birmingham Branch of the Old Contemptibles. He said they had launched an appeal for £3,000 and had been given about half so far.”

Preparations for the visit had begun in November 1973 and it was decided that the Birmingham Branch would present a miniature version of their Branch Standard to the Mons Memorial Museum, which was to be framed and would have an inscribed plate: “From the Birmingham Branch to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee Year 1914-1974.” The Branch also agreed to purchase Old Contemptibles’ Association ties for those Chums who did not possess one. The Birmingham contingent would be led by the Branch Chairman and President, Chum Edwin ‘Ted’ Farley M.M., late 3rd Battalion, Coldstream Guards.

The arrangements for the pilgrimage were finalised in May 1974, and at 5.45 p.m. on 21 August the Chums and their wives flew from Birmingham Airport to Brussels. On the afternoon of 22 August the Chums of the Birmingham Branch, together with their comrades from the Edinburgh Branch and The Middlesex Regiment Old Comrades’ Association, took part in a parade through Mons. The order was given to ‘Advance’, as ‘Quick March’ was deemed inappropriate for Chums, and led by a Belgian military band they marched into the Grand Place and stood to attention in front of the Hotel de Ville, where they were addressed by the Burgomaster before marching past him to a rapturous reception from the people of Mons. A civic reception was later held in the Salon of the Hotel de Ville and the Chums enjoyed refreshments before returning to their hotel.

On 23 August the Chums of the Birmingham Branch paraded again at the Belfry in Mons, where they presented their commemorative framed Branch Standard to the Memorial Museum. Following this ceremony the Chums from Birmingham left Mons to catch their return flight back home. Writing in his Branch Report published in The Old Contemptible of October 1974 the Branch Secretary, Chum Arthur Freeth, who on 23 August 1914 had been in reserve positions near Hainin with the 2nd Battalion, The Manchester Regiment, described the visit to Mons:

“... our pilgrimage to Mons was praised by all Chums and wives who went there. The arrangements were excellent and all this was due to our worthy Patron, Miss M. Murtagh, who had made a special journey to book the hotel and arrange meals, etc. Everyone said they enjoyed the trip, and they did not forget those that were left behind. Each one received a cheque of ten pounds to celebrate at their own leisure.”

Born at Ladywood on 13 July 1894, Chum Edwin “Ted” Farley M.M., who led the Birmingham Chums on their pilgrimage to Mons in 1974, was the son of William Edwin, who had formerly served with the Royal Horse Guards (The Blues), and Emily Louisa Farley. He attended Barford Road School and was living with his parents at 4 Stafford Place, off Gillott Road, and apprenticed as a jewellery case maker at Hockley when he attested for the Coldstream Guards at Birmingham in 1912. Issued with the regimental number 9777, after completing his training at the Guards Depot at Caterham Private Farley was posted to the 3rd Battalion at Windsor, and was stationed at Chelsea Barracks on the declaration of war.

Farley disembarked with the 3rd Coldstream at Le Havre on 13 August 1914, and was wounded during the fighting at Reutel Wood, near Ypres, in October. He later recalled his collarbone had been broken in two places, and he was taken by horse-drawn ambulance to a dressing station in the Cloth Hall, where he lay on a stretcher for nearly fifteen hours before being attended to. When asked in 1981 about his experiences during 1914, Edwin stated that: “A man who got through those days deserves to live to be 100.”

On recovering from his wound, he returned to the 3rd Battalion and was appointed a Lance Corporal. For his gallantry while fighting on the Somme during September 1916 was awarded the Military Medal, the announcement being published in The London Gazette on 16 November. He continued to serve with the 3rd Coldstream and was at Criel Plage, near Le Treport, when the Armistice came into effect on 11 November 1918 and went on to serve with the Army of Occupation at Cologne.

Farley was presented with his 1914 Star on 31 May 1919 and in 1920 was issued with a new regimental number: 2646627. He was transferred to the Reserve in 1921 and was discharged on the termination of his twelve years’ period of engagement in 1924. Edwin went on to work for the Birmingham Small Arms Company as a security officer, and later for G.K.N., and eventually retired when he was aged 72. He also served as a Captain in the 15th Staffordshire Battalion of the Home Guard during the Second World War. Farley was also a member of the Birmingham Branch of the Old Coldstreamers’ Association. He was Chairman of the Birmingham Branch of The Old Contemptibles Association when the Chums commemorated the 50th anniversary of the start of the Great War in 1964, and was instrumental in recruiting new Patrons in order to raise funds for the Branch. - Chum Edwin Farley M.M. died in 1983 aged 89.

Photos - (1) The original Bairnsfather sign, (2) part of the current display within the pub & an external plaque explaining the association (3).

1693396560352.png 1693396752150.png 1693396956326.png

Thanks John.

I recognise some of that information as they are posts from my Old Contemptibles page on Facebook.

There are also a few more snippets like that available on my Old Contemptibles' Association Scrap Book blog: https://oldcontemptiblesassociationscrapbook.wordpress.com/?s=Birmingham+
More on the formation of the Birmingham Branch HQ from The Birmingham Daily Gazette of 7 February 1928:

“A branch of the Old Contemptibles’ Association has been inaugurated in Birmingham, with headquarters at the Albion Hotel, Livery-street. The Association is open for membership from all ranks who served in France or Belgium from August to November, 1914, and who are in possession of the 1914 star and clasp. The next meeting will take place at the branch headquarters on 21 March. The secretary is H. Turner, The Post Office, Walford-road, Sparkhill.”

The Albion Hotel continued to serve as the Headquarters of the Birmingham Branch and in January 1953 this link was further enhanced when Mitchells & Butlers renamed the pub in their honour. The ceremony, took place on 31 January 1953 and was reported in the April/May 1953 edition of the company’s magazine “The Deerstalker”:

“History was made on 31st January last when the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Alderman W. T. Bowen, performed a re-naming ceremony at “The Albion” Livery Street. As a compliment to the members of the Old Contemptibles’ Association who have been meeting here for the past 25 years, it was decided to rename the house “The Old Contemptible.”

A sign, designed by Bruce Bairnsfather, and depicting a typical British Tommy of the Kaiser’s War, was unveiled by the Lord Mayor to the strains of “‘Tipperary” heartily sung by the assembled company of old soldiers, whose lungs of brass, trained on the barrack square, proclaimed them to be very far from fading away. Mr Lawrence Mitchell, who presided, revealed that the change of name was the suggestion of Councillor E. H. Richardson, Secretary of the Old Contemptibles’ Association, and said that the Company was proud to institute a permanent memorial to a grand body of men.

The timing of the renaming ceremony was particularly appropriate, as it coincided with the Silver Jubilee of the foundation of the Association, and the house had been its headquarters during the whole of that period. Mr Lawrence said that so far as could be ascertained, this was the first house to be called “The Old Contemptible.”

After the unveiling of the sign, Mr. Bruce Bairnsfather gave an amusing account of the events that led up to the creation of “Old Bill” during his service in the front line trenches. His short breezy talk revealed that, had he not become a successful artist, he might well have topped the bill at “The Hippodrome.”

Not the least impressive part of the proceedings was the inspection by the Lord Mayor of a Guard of Honour provided by members of the Association. While spectators huddled together in the biting wind, the parade of old comrades, many without hats or coats, stood stiffly to attention, disdaining the whirling blizzard as unworthy of their notice. Five of our colleagues from Cape Hill, who were in the parade, Hoppy Walker, Charlie Matthews, Mickey Austin, Harry May and Tom Conniff were joined by an ex-servant of the Company, Billy Hart.

On the conclusion of the formal part of the proceedings, the members of the Association enjoyed a grand spread, and over a pint or two of good honest beer, were able to re-live many of the good old days way back in 1914. It was a memorable day for these grand old veterans, and enabled them to realise that their deeds of valour in the very early days of the First World War had earned enduring remembrance.”

Here is a report on a trip to Mons from the Birmingham Evening Mail (25 April 1974):

“Birmingham’s old soldiers need cash to mount a last pilgrimage to their 1st World War battlefields. The “Old Contemptibles” all now in their 80s, hope to revisit Mons where the British Expeditionary Force lost 5,000 men in their first day of its first battle of the war. Thirty survivors of the “Contemptible Little Army” which stood up to an army ten times its size, meet every month in Birmingham. They intend to fly to Belgium for the last time on the sixtieth anniversary of the battle – August 22. Mr Edwin Farley, of Conway Road, Chelmsley Wood, is President of the Birmingham Branch of the Old Contemptibles. He said they had launched an appeal for £3,000 and had been given about half so far.”

Preparations for the visit had begun in November 1973 and it was decided that the Birmingham Branch would present a miniature version of their Branch Standard to the Mons Memorial Museum, which was to be framed and would have an inscribed plate: “From the Birmingham Branch to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee Year 1914-1974.” The Branch also agreed to purchase Old Contemptibles’ Association ties for those Chums who did not possess one. The Birmingham contingent would be led by the Branch Chairman and President, Chum Edwin ‘Ted’ Farley M.M., late 3rd Battalion, Coldstream Guards.

The arrangements for the pilgrimage were finalised in May 1974, and at 5.45 p.m. on 21 August the Chums and their wives flew from Birmingham Airport to Brussels. On the afternoon of 22 August the Chums of the Birmingham Branch, together with their comrades from the Edinburgh Branch and The Middlesex Regiment Old Comrades’ Association, took part in a parade through Mons. The order was given to ‘Advance’, as ‘Quick March’ was deemed inappropriate for Chums, and led by a Belgian military band they marched into the Grand Place and stood to attention in front of the Hotel de Ville, where they were addressed by the Burgomaster before marching past him to a rapturous reception from the people of Mons. A civic reception was later held in the Salon of the Hotel de Ville and the Chums enjoyed refreshments before returning to their hotel.

On 23 August the Chums of the Birmingham Branch paraded again at the Belfry in Mons, where they presented their commemorative framed Branch Standard to the Memorial Museum. Following this ceremony the Chums from Birmingham left Mons to catch their return flight back home. Writing in his Branch Report published in The Old Contemptible of October 1974 the Branch Secretary, Chum Arthur Freeth, who on 23 August 1914 had been in reserve positions near Hainin with the 2nd Battalion, The Manchester Regiment, described the visit to Mons:

“... our pilgrimage to Mons was praised by all Chums and wives who went there. The arrangements were excellent and all this was due to our worthy Patron, Miss M. Murtagh, who had made a special journey to book the hotel and arrange meals, etc. Everyone said they enjoyed the trip, and they did not forget those that were left behind. Each one received a cheque of ten pounds to celebrate at their own leisure.”

Born at Ladywood on 13 July 1894, Chum Edwin “Ted” Farley M.M., who led the Birmingham Chums on their pilgrimage to Mons in 1974, was the son of William Edwin, who had formerly served with the Royal Horse Guards (The Blues), and Emily Louisa Farley. He attended Barford Road School and was living with his parents at 4 Stafford Place, off Gillott Road, and apprenticed as a jewellery case maker at Hockley when he attested for the Coldstream Guards at Birmingham in 1912. Issued with the regimental number 9777, after completing his training at the Guards Depot at Caterham Private Farley was posted to the 3rd Battalion at Windsor, and was stationed at Chelsea Barracks on the declaration of war.

Farley disembarked with the 3rd Coldstream at Le Havre on 13 August 1914, and was wounded during the fighting at Reutel Wood, near Ypres, in October. He later recalled his collarbone had been broken in two places, and he was taken by horse-drawn ambulance to a dressing station in the Cloth Hall, where he lay on a stretcher for nearly fifteen hours before being attended to. When asked in 1981 about his experiences during 1914, Edwin stated that: “A man who got through those days deserves to live to be 100.”

On recovering from his wound, he returned to the 3rd Battalion and was appointed a Lance Corporal. For his gallantry while fighting on the Somme during September 1916 was awarded the Military Medal, the announcement being published in The London Gazette on 16 November. He continued to serve with the 3rd Coldstream and was at Criel Plage, near Le Treport, when the Armistice came into effect on 11 November 1918 and went on to serve with the Army of Occupation at Cologne.

Farley was presented with his 1914 Star on 31 May 1919 and in 1920 was issued with a new regimental number: 2646627. He was transferred to the Reserve in 1921 and was discharged on the termination of his twelve years’ period of engagement in 1924. Edwin went on to work for the Birmingham Small Arms Company as a security officer, and later for G.K.N., and eventually retired when he was aged 72. He also served as a Captain in the 15th Staffordshire Battalion of the Home Guard during the Second World War. Farley was also a member of the Birmingham Branch of the Old Coldstreamers’ Association. He was Chairman of the Birmingham Branch of The Old Contemptibles Association when the Chums commemorated the 50th anniversary of the start of the Great War in 1964, and was instrumental in recruiting new Patrons in order to raise funds for the Branch. - Chum Edwin Farley M.M. died in 1983 aged 89.

Photos - (1) The original Bairnsfather sign, (2) part of the current display within the pub & an external plaque explaining the association (3).

View attachment 183750 View attachment 183751 View attachment 183752

Last edited:
First my apologies if I’ve not posted this in the correct place.

I wonder whether my paternal grandfather was in the Birmingham old contemptibles association. He grew up in Bilston, moved via Brierley Hill to live in one of the back to backs in LadyWood for about 40 years.

His military record was:
Volunteer with 3rd South Staffordshire volunteers prior to 1892,
Signed up as private 3669 with the 2nd Battalion Cheshire Regiment on 30/3/1892-
Served 7 years, demobbed then recalled 18/12/1899 and was part of the 8th Mounted Infantry in the 2nd Boer War- ended as a sergeant and mentioned in Kitcheners last dispatches in 1902. He was in the Relief of Kimberley, Driefontein, Paaderberg and Johannesburg campaigns and got the relevant medals.- QSA, KSA with clasps

Then back to civvy street in 1903- became a member of the Corps of Commisionsires in London at its HQ in the Strand in 191.

Reenlisted 15 August 1914 in the 4th (Extra Reserve) special reserve Battalion as Private 2995- embarking to France 5th Oct 1914. By 10th Jan 1915 he was in hospital with frostbite and evacuated 20 Jan 1915. He returned to France 3 May 1915 as part of the 1st Battalion. Wounded in battle 5 June 1915 whilst in the Ypres area. Promoted to Lance Corporal 21 April 1916. Received a second injury 30 April 1916, and then again a more serious leg injury on 12 Oct 1916 near Lesboefs as part of Battle of Le Transloy.
Returned to UK 16th Oct 1916.

He was then posted to the 92nd Battalion of Training reserve at Chisledon in Wiltshire before posting back to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion and had his service number changed to 24950. He returned to France 15 May 1917. He suffered a paralysis to his left elbow and sent back to the UK again in October 1917 and went to a convalescence camp at Shoreham in Sussex.

He was sent back to France again 24th April 1918, but this time he joined the 2nd Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment requiring a new service number of 37504. He joined the Battalion on 6 June 1918- was promoted to Corporal on 29 July, and then again as acting Sergeant on 23rd August 1918.

He then took part in the Second Battle of Bapaume with offensive operations near Noreuil on 2nd September, and Rumilly on 1st October and Seranvillers on 8th October 1918. These actions were part of the breaching of the Hindenberg line close to Cambrai. For these actions The Suffolk Regiment received colours. Richard was awarded the Military Medal….and two bars. These were gazetted on 21 Jan 1919 and both bars on 14 May 1919. I understand that only 182 soldiers got the MM with two bars. (And only one with three bars)

He arrived home 2 Feb 1919, having been finally fully promoted to Sergeant….something he remarkably achieved twice in his life.
Sadly he died in 1951- still living in his “back to back” on Ladywood road, having been a glass packer at Ichnield Glass Works (F&C Osler) on Freeth Street during his civvy life.

Certainly another unsung hero of the Ladywood area. -His name is Richard Tyler - formerly of 18 Ladywood Terrace, then 18/38 Ladywood road.

I’d be interested to hear if his name has come up before as part of the Old Contemptibles.

Back