• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham and areas covered now by Birmingham -Cemeteries and Church Graveyards etc

DJRVST

master brummie
Is there a list of opening and where appropriate closing dates for all of the above plus crematoriums in existence?

Re: Birmingham and areas covered now by Birmingham -Cemeteries and Church Graveyards

I have a book called In The Midst of Life which is a history of the burial
grounds of birmingham what places are you interested in as there are
so many of them
astwood

Re: Birmingham and areas covered now by Birmingham -Cemeteries and Church Graveyards

HI DJRVST,
My Midst of Life book is on loan (been out far too long already!)

Cemeteries
Key Hill opened 1836 (closed for sale of New Graves - burials permitted in existing graves)
Warstone lane opened 1848 - ditto
Witton Opened 1863
Lodge Hill Cemetery1895
Lodge Hill Crem1930
Brandwood End 1899
Kings Norton 2005
Handsworth 1909
Sutton Cemetery (Rectory Rd)1881
Sutton Crem 1964
Sutton New Hall 2002
Quinton 1923
Yardley cemetery 1883
Yardley Crem 1936

Hope this helps
Brian

Astwood
Thanks. I was looking for a reference document to look at when needed not any specific site at present. Where does the book originate as I might try and obtain a copy? Does it cover churches?
Thanks
Dave

Brian
Thanks. What happens with places like Perry Barr Crem which is now a private company
Thanks
Dave

Louisa
Thanks. I will have a look
Dave

Dave
Yes the book covers churches dates of opening and closing
it was published by the Birmingham library services i got
it inthe 90s only £3 -50
astwood

Hi dave,

You have to scour second hand book stalls - it's well out of print now.
I found mine by accident some years ago.

Current cemetery dates are listed in the BCC Bereavement Services Information Handbook available at all manned Cemeteries, but only covers Birmingham. presumably Solihull, sandwell, etc do their own. I imagine place like Perry barr would answer emails or letters or have a website with their history on?

Brian

Dave
Email me you can have my copy son ok

Dave
Email me you can have my copy son ok
Astwood,
Thanks but had a copy on way from library when I was your response. Thanks anyway the offer was much appreciated. The document is still in print and has been helpful in directing me to possible burial sites for missing folks last resting place
Regards
Dave

dave
Im glad you got a copy mate all the best with your research
pete

Where is the churchyard linked to St. Martin's in the Bullring?
Thanks!

The churchyard was closed for ordinary burials in 1848 whereafter interments
were conducted at park street burial ground Burials in family plots continued
up to 1915 in 1880 the churchyard was laid out as a park
pete

Thankyou-that's very helpful Pete!

Back