• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham 1940

ASTONITE

master brummie
Birmingham is the third most heavily bombed UK city during the war, behind London and Liverpool. During the Blitz 2,241 people are killed, and 3,010 seriously injured. A total of 12,391 houses, 302 factories and 239 other buildings are destroyed, with many more damaged. Overall, around 2,000 tons of bombs are dropped on Birmingham during the conflict. Here is a view of Birmingham taken from a German battle plane,during an air attack in Sep 1940. Destroyed industrial plants are marked with rectangles, bomb craters marked with circles, photograph courtesy of AP PHOTOGRAPHSView attachment 57276

Interesting photo, I wonder if the areas can be identified.
One thing that has always puzzled me. I was 'nipper' living on the Beeches Estate Gt Barr, reasonably well away from Kynochs and other factories, and one night someone in the Luftwaffe dropped a bomb on one house - OURS - while we were in it. I suppose someone 'up there' didn't like us.
My Dad was rather annoyed - I was a bit frightened...:)

Thanks Astonite E.B.i was in the home guard from 42.I served the rocket firing guns at Lea hall. phil carr.

Back