• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birlec (BEM Ltd)

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
I posted on the "Starting work at 14" thread about my uncle's first job in 1942 was at the Birlec on Tyburn Rd near the junction with Bromford Lane. In one of his diaries he's written about the people he worked with. Not sure how old he was when this was written, probably late teens/early twenties.

Mr King, General Manager - Charles Harper, Works Foreman - Ted King, Bricklayer Foreman - Mr Raymond, Machine Shop Foreman - Mr Morrison, Machine Shop -
Mr G Tooth, Electrician - Mr Howard Day, Electrician.

Other apprentices were, Ray Bench, John Holliday, K(en?) Manders, Leslie Ham and Ronnie Wade.

Other names, Sheila Long in the Panel Dept., Harry Green, Harry Reeves, Betty Tilly and her mother Connie.

He was there until called up for National Service.

David, is that Birlec Ltd manufacturer of induction furnaces that later amalgamated with Efco Ltd, and was eventually taken over by GEC? They later had an office in Aldridge, where my dad was based.

G

Hi Big Gee, they certainly manufactured furnaces. I think it must be the same as you mention because they became part of Associated Electrical Industries Ltd (A.E.I.) in 1954 who then merged with G.E.C. in 1967 in a £120 million deal.

My dad Hedley (Eddie) Bryant joined Efco (offices at Burton-on-Trent and Moor Lane, Erdington, head office was at Weybridge, Surrey) in 1937 or 38 as a Service Engineer. He worked mainly in munitions and steel works during the War, and after the War did two stints in Sweden. Following that he worked in various countries and retired in 1977. I knew one or two of his colleagues. I got the impression from my old man that GEC didn't really want or need Birlec. If I remember correctly, the last vestiges of Birlec were bought by a company in Tamworth but I'm afraid I can't remember its name.

G

Back