• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

Re: Birchfield Secondry Modern School

Hi my Dad Jeffry Edwin Bowen attended a scool in Birchfield in 1904 went once to see a huge whale on a truck aptly named moby dick terrified me aged about 6
Colin

View attachment 45693View attachment 45692View attachment 45691
Hi Dave
Not certain about Graham Spalding being head Prefect. name is familier. Anyway sending three good pic. Left pic 1963 Geneva I'm on the right Jimmy Taylor may be the little lad in the middle ? Centre pic Birchfield rd trip to Franc & Switzerland 1959 Headmaster Mr Whittaker far right. Third pic taken 1963 as well Mr Williams English teacher.
Have, when I can find it few pictures of school production of Pirates of penzance plus a programme with lots of names in it. I payed the Major General. By the way my nickname ..at .times..was "The Beak" guess why

Hi Graham,
I am reasonably sure the head prefect was Graham? Spalding. Unfortunately I could not open the attachments.
A correction on my previous entry: The deputy Headmaster I was thinking of was Mr Ridsdale who I think, joined the school the year we left and did indeed teach at a grammar school and in my opinion it showed. Great teacher Obviously I know of Mr Brassington, but cannot recall being taught by him.
I remember Jimmy Taylor, his older brother, our age, was John Taylor, a very good footballer.

hello dave, mr brassington was
deputy headmaster during my
time at birchfield,1960/64,and
jimmy taylor captained the
school football team,and also
aston boys. the taylors i think
lived in bevington rd. will post
foto of school cricket team (again)
not very good quality. 1961/62.
do you recognise anyone.
regards, paul.View attachment 46211

Hi Dave
Trying again to send attachments that did not work a week ago. Graham

Hi Graham,
Still no can do with regards the attachments. Comes up as an invalid attachment

Hi Paul,
I can make out Mr Oldham, a fine cricketer and possibly Alan Burbidge, front extreme right. Is that Jimmy Taylor or Jimmy Shakespeare second right? I recall Jimmy T having darkish hair whereas Jimmy S had blonde hair. These lads were at least a year younger than me and I am also unsure as to the teacher on the right. Sorry I cannot be of more help, perhaps if the photo is improved I might recognise someone.
All the best,
Dave

Last edited:

hello dave,in foto back row,micky shakespeare,unknown,bill price,peter hobson,phil storer,warren raybould,stevie holloway.
front, mervin powell,adrian hannah,bernie burrows,and me.

Last edited:

Hi Dave
Trying again to send attachments. Lower res & one at a time. View attachment 46527Picture of Mr Willams the English Drama teacher at Birchfield Rd 1963. ski trip to Switzerland.

Last pic Dave & anyone else who can identify the pupils from Birchfield Rd School. Taken in 1963 at Geneva after our ski holiday. Who are the two lads on the left. Had on the back of the photo Taylor ..is he the lad in the middle. I am on the right Graham Bradbury. Nickname the beak by some for obvious reasons.View attachment 46529

Hi my names Ian Freeman, I was one of the Major Generals Daughter's in the same "play" I put a scan of the programme on to Friends Reunited a few years ago, sent a few emails, but got no response.
I left when the school was demolished, ( aged about 14ish) we all got a photgraph taken from a tower block opposite the school (also put on Friends Reunited), moved on to Stockland Green Bilateral School, My junior school was Yewtree Junior school near the villa Ground (i'm a West Brom fan lol) I've lived in and around the London area since about 1975.

Hi my names Ian Freeman, I was one of the Major Generals Daughter's in the same "play" I put a scan of the programme on to friends reunited a few years ago, sent a few emails, but got no response.
I left when the school was demolished, ( aged about 14ish) we all got a photgraph taken from a tower block opposite the school, moved on to Stockland Green Bilateral School, My junior school was Yewtree Junior school near the villa Ground (i'm a West Brom fan lol)

Hi and welcome Ian and I am sure you will receive some response from someone on this forum as everyone is so friendly and helpful. Jean.

Hi Paul,
I can now make out Mickey Shakespeare thanks to your directions. I think Steve Holloway went to Prince Albert Primary and was on a cricket photo along with myself, but I would not have recognised him. (Is it the same person I wonder) As for Mervyn Powell, I would never have recognised him in a month of Sundays and he was a personal friend, A very good footballer as well.

Hi Graham
Pictures have opened well. I would not have recognised Mr Williams except for his build. He talked, no bullied me, into playing rugby on fields day instead of football. Good bloke though.
The two lads with you : Haven't a clue on them, though you are very recognisable. Do you recall David Bailey? He played in the Orchestra

Hi Graham,
Just looking at the photo of the school trip with Mr Whittaker. I do recognise him. What a fantastic old Charabang, I think that is what we called early coaches. Is that yourself waiting to get on the coach, just left of the boss man?

Hi Paul,
I can now make out Mickey Shakespeare thanks to your directions. I think Steve Holloway went to Prince Albert Primary and was on a cricket photo along with myself, but I would not have recognised him. (Is it the same person I wonder) As for Mervyn Powell, I would never have recognised him in a month of Sundays and he was a personal friend, A very good footballer as well.

I went to Birchfield Junior school with a Steve Holloway who may have gone on to the boy's senior.
The boy on the photo does look like it might be him.

Mooch

I notice with school memories that we only remember the kids we went through the system with, in our year and class.
I was at Birchfield from 1958- 61 ( I think) Teachers were 1/1 Mr Dain...2/1 Mr Evans.... 3/1..... Mr Davis...... 4/1...... Mr Brassington. Head was Mr Whittaker (Gabby) Other teachers were Ronnie Lowe..Music.... Mr Taylor ...Music....Knobby Wall ...science.... Jasper Jarrett ..printing.... Mr Gransmore ..Art...Mr Willaims ..Football.... Hunt ...Tech. Drwg ..Can't remember the Metalwork teacher's name ...Great bloke .

Classmates were Malcolm Smith, Robert Smith, Peter Storer, Bobbie Wilcox, Kieth Jones, Kieth Williams, Derek Smith,Peter Cooke, Michael Gourlay Etc.

Edit : Just remembered the Metalwork teacher's name ... Bronco Lane .

Does anyone recall a Mr.Cherrington at Birchfield in the late 50'/early 60's, who I think taught Geography ?

Re:Birchfeild Secondary Modern School

my name is john (goggs) bailiff, i am new to this very good forum. i attented the school for three years untill it closed. i was in 3e with my brother david and all the rest of the gang. some of there names are, paul callow, reg squires, steve copper, john painter, ian leak, chris heart. we all played football, rugby or in the band or both. hobnob or boggy evens was or form master, john oldham headmaster, spud taylor for music and re. if any one remebers me please get in contact with me.

Hi,My name is Brian Harding & I was at Birchfield Rd school from 1944 till Christmas 1947,& I have very happy memories of those days,I remember Alan Jones,Derek Creed,Alan Ashcroft,Brian Persil,Eric Jones,Barry Shaw,Alan Gorman,Sydney Gill,Ron Dainty & his Twin brother Reg,I have an old school photo of our class taken in !944 Mr Eden was our teacher at the time but I remember Mr Garrett & a lady teacher who used to make you drop your trousers to your ankles & under pants to give you 6 swipes across the backside with a pump [gym shoe] the cane was used very often on a daily basis weather you deserved it or not,I remember A nasty little mettle work teacher who was a bully,he wore glasses can't remember his name,I can't find out how to upload the photos I have from these far off days,any usefull advice will be greatfully accepted,Many thanks
Brian Harding
Do you recognise any one in this photo taken at Birchfield Rd School in 1944,the teacher is Mr Eden & I am the 6th boy from the right of the picture behind the teacher

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

image0-001.jpgimage0-002.jpgimage0-003.jpgimage0-004.jpg

I have been clearing out my loft & came across this,it is the very first issue of "The Birchfield Chronicle" did this magazine carry on as I left school just after this first edition was printed in November 1948. I wonder if anyone else remember's this magazine or did it die a natural death !!!
Brian Harding

Last edited:

Thanks for that Brian. Are you related to a Bernard Harding from Franchise street by any chance?.

Thanks for that Brian. Are you related to a Bernard Harding from Franchise street by any chance?.
Not unless my dad had a bike !!! but he did work at "Kynox" [is that how you spell it] (Admin note: it's "Kynochs") at the top of Franchise St in Wellhead Lane right after the war.Did you Know Kenny Hill ? he lived in Franchise St & was a friend of mine when I attended Birchfield Rd School.
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that Brian , I was at Birchfield from 1957 -1960 and I'd say that the "Chronicle " had died a death by then.
But we had the same Headmaster as you did in 1948.

Teachr on the right in the cricket team photo is definitely Mr Evans , others are aafter my time .

Back