• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

I do remember Mr Roberts and Grifiths plying their craft at each end of the single story building in the rear playground.

This building was referred to as “The Coronation Block” during my time there (1956 – 58) and it had a wonderful view of the abattoir!!!

Birchfield road school.

:) Tonbrad. My husband and his brothers were at the school round about that time. Mervin Brian and Peter Smith. Are you Tony Bradbury or Bradley only someone of that name went to Yewtree road school. Have still got a photo of him with the rest of the class?. TTFN. Jean.:)

Re: Birchfield Secondry Modern School

I was at Birchfield Road School 1954-1956 from where I passed the 13+ to go Handsworth Technical School. I remember how some lads managed to get down onto the railway track (how?) which ran alongside of the school and put pennies on the track. those squashed coins were a treasured possession.

Re: Birchfield road school.

:) Tonbrad. My husband and his brothers were at the school round about that time. Mervin Brian and Peter Smith. Are you Tony Bradbury or Bradley only someone of that name went to Yewtree road school. Have still got a photo of him with the rest of the class?. TTFN. Jean.:)
No sorry never went to Yewtree Road
regards Tonbrad

Hello everyone yes i went to Birchfields road School started there in 1951 ill Easter 1955, thoes were the days ,played the recorder in mr Taylors class, Remember Jones and Wilbur Woodwork Hall science Mr Whitica head spelt wrong,Anybody remember me Bob Burridge would love to here from you BB

Bob Pete remembers Mr Taylor the music Teacher but i can't put on the forum Pete's exact words as i would get banned. The boys did nickname him [fatty Taylor though]. Pete sorted his leaving cert out the other day and is signed by Mr Whitaker. Jean.

Yes i still have my leaving certificate, its still in the original envelope. with all the masters sigs on and a few of the boys signed by Mr WhitakerThat was Easter 1955 gad wheres all that time gone when i get it out again ill put them on here see how many u remember Bobby b

Hopefully, I will upload a photo of Birchfield Road 5th form. This may have been the first 5th form at the school. I was persuaded to stop on by Mr Dixon, not for my academic genius, but by a promise he would get me a trial for Aston Boys cricket team, which he did and I got in. Looked at my school books a while ago and got fed up of reading in red ink "you have not done your homework again. See Me". I never did see the teacher but got my just rewards in what was the schools first G.C.E exam. Failed all three I took. I am now a lecturer at Tamworth College and know all the tricks of students to get out of doing there academic work.

[/ATTACH]
attachment.php

The names are all from memory recall. Apologies to those names I cannot recall;Or if I have got any wrong.
Front Row L-R Steve Parcell; Andrew Dyson; Mr Hunts (maths teacher)son; ???Kennedy; John Humphries; Dave Collins; Malcolm Phipps; Michael Hawker

Middle Prefect; ? ;? ? ;Leonard Nicholls;Freddie Worrall; Ray Parker; ? ; ? ; ? ; ?

Back ? ; ? ; ? ? ; Graham Williams: ? : Geoff Grayson; ? A Evans?; ?

Help in completion would be greatly appreciated
Dave Collins

Istarted Birchfields in 1951,Mr Whittaker was the Head,Jones and Wilber woodwork , Mr Grithists was Metalwork, Hall science, and Jarret was into Printing.and of course Tubby Taylor was Music,and did anyone Rember Blake, Killer Blake as he was known.Also Fred Aldridge,Happy Days Left in 1955, couldnt wait to get out and into work,Did better after i left school than i did when i was there, Bobby B

Yes i remember them all especialy Jarrat who used to throw the blackboard rubber at us and call us Tossers.

Aston John Pete remembers Mr Jarret and I am afraid I can't repeat what he said. He used to throw other things besides the rubber. He was the tall thin teacher Pete said. Bye. Jean.

This building was referred to as “The Coronation Block” during my time there (1956 – 58) and it had a wonderful view of the abattoir!!!

I sat my 11+ in the Coronation block (I went to Birchfield Juniors) but I have no recollection of an abattoir - I'm very glad to say!

Hi
My name is Graham Bradbury. I am in your photo of Birchfield rd Sc. Mid row 2nd from the left. The back row from the left 1st is Ross Muller then Chris Burke. Mr Hunt's son began with a G ( may have been Geoff ??) lots of memories. Who was the main PE teacher?
You may remember me I was the Major General in Pirates at the school in 1962.

Hi Graham there is a forum member who is on the photo and Pete's brother John Farrell was in the same year. Dave Collins is the members name if you wan't to IM him. Pete is older than yourself and does not remember anyone on the photo. Bye. Jean.

Hi Jean
Just sent a message to Dave Collins. I am on the photo. Middle row second from the left. I can remember three on the photo

Re: Birchfield road school.

hi jean
the photo you have of a class at Station rd school was it Miss Taylor class or Miss Kennedy
rob

Went there in 1955 for about 6months,then Dad and Mom decided to move to Sutton Coldfield, left all my old mates there, Stephen Hewett ,Godfrey(Ted) Hodges,David Hodge,Jeff Pickering, and a few others, I remember a mate of mine there having the whack off Tubby Taylor, I remember the cane he had it was painted at both ends, different colours and when he gave you the whack he'd give you a choice, which end do want boy red or blue!! Happy days!!!
icon7.gif

John, Pete had many a wack off fatty Taylor. I wonder if any of your parents attended the school? only mom did when it was a mixed school all those years ago. She lived in Franchise street at the time. Jean.

No, sorry Jean, Dad was an Aston lad and he went to Albert road, and Mom came from West Bromwich.

Rob. Miss Roberts. Does anyone remember Brian or Mervin Smith from Birchfield road school?. Jean.

going back to frantics question in post 3 about where johns pic of the school would have been taken from....the only place i can think of is the big office block that sat in the middle of one stop shopping centre...just a guess as i dont know when the pic was taken....

lyn

was at birchfield rd from 1959 to 64, classmates included; john osbourne,len ablethorpe,jimmy phillips,jimmy taylor
billy price. photo cricket league winners 1961/62.View attachment 42098

View attachment 42168Hi Dave
Have a similar pic. See below. Back left 1? 2 Ashok Joshi,3? 4? 5 Me Graham Bradbury, 6?,7?,8 Chris Burke
Front left 1?, 2 Dave Spencer Head Prefect? 3Mr Brassington dept Head, 4 Mr Oldham Head 5 David Lawley Dept Head Prefect 6 Ross Muller.
Have lots of memories. plus photo of Mr williams on ski holiday to switzerland & the old head Mr whittaker on holiday to France & switzerland. Regards Graham Bradbury

was at birchfield rd from 1959 to 64, classmates included; john osbourne,len ablethorpe,jimmy phillips,jimmy taylor
billy price. photo cricket league winners 1961/62.View attachment 42098

Just reading your post (I went to Birchfield Juniors) if I recall correctly, Len Ablethorpe went on to become a member of Raymond Frogatt's Band, originally called the Monopoly. I think he was the drummer - did he have ginger hair? I know he lived in Perry Barr.

Hi Dave
Have you noticed a new picture. Have identified more names.
Regards Graham Bradbury

Yes len did join 'the monopoly,along
with another clssmate jimmy phillips
len lived in potters hill,aston
and jimmy came from rifle cres
len changed name to jansk and
moved to canada.

Yes len did join 'the monopoly,along
with another clssmate jimmy phillips
len lived in potters hill,aston
and jimmy came from rifle cres
len changed name to jansk and
moved to canada.

Thanks for the confirmation - I wasn't quite right about where he lived! I remember when they were a 'local' group which included Stan Southall who changed his name to Hartley Cain and Louis Clarke. They used to rehearse during the day at a small club called Tito's near King Edwards Girls school.

Hi Graham,
Great photo. I am not sure about the head prefects name. It is the back of my mind as ?????? Morrall, but possibly age is playing a negative part. I recognised Mr Oldham, a very good cricketer, but no way on earth I would have recognised Mr Brassington, which is suprising because I thought he was out on his own as a teacher. I believe he was a former Grammar school teacher. Thank you for the help on the my photo. I recall the names of Ross Muller and Chris Burke. I knew the vice head prefect, but could not think of his name.. It is infuriating looking at your photo because I recognise all the faces, though I am uncertain about the black lad next to yourself. Would love to see the two photo's of Mr Williams and Mr Whittaker.
All the best, great to hear from you,
Dave

Hi Graham, again,
Just had a thought: Was the head prefect named Graham? Spalding

Back