• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birchfield Cinema Perry barr

N

Nigel123

Can any one help?

The Birchfield Cinema, Perry Barr.

Can any one give me the dates this film was showing "Where The Boys Are" I think it starred Connie Francis. The year was 1961, summertime I think.
I believe the film was avertised in the local press? but at the moment I do not have the time to research the newspapers.

any help greatly appreciated.

Yes. 1961 by the time it came to Birmingham. Connie Francis one of the acting team. George Hamilton too. Director Henry Levin. Was even looking at actual magazine pictures of it on Thursday because of the Hamilton connection. Its going to be late this week now before i can get back to the place where my collection is stored, but maybe can cook you up one or two from the internet if you need.

Richie.:)

Can any one help?

The Birchfield Cinema, Perry Barr.

Can any one give me the dates this film was showing "Where The Boys Are" I think it starred Connie Francis. The year was 1961, summertime I think.
I believe the film was avertised in the local press? but at the moment I do not have the time to research the newspapers.

any help greatly appreciated.

There you are Nigel:)

It was made 1960 released 1961
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054469/

Thanks to you all for your help.
I did get chance today to look at the 1961 Birmingham mail and found the film was shown at the Birchfield Cinema Perry Barr on 14th, 15th, 16th September 1961

There is a love story behind this "showing" date. 2 people met at the Birchfield Cinema on the 16th.September 1961. the story spans 47 years, you could not write a film script to match this real life saga. I shall have to sell the story ;)

Nigel I guessed that:0429::2006:

Tell us more

No chance!! for one thing it would take to long to write.:rolleyes:

You would need a good supply of tissues......... but it may have a happy ending.;)

i think this maybe the birchfield cinema you are on about. wales.

Last edited:
Nigel when Alf comes on he may be able to help. He's red hot at this type of thing. Jean.

Hi

I'm new to this site - was seeking information about Sir Josiah Mason's and my grandfather's old factory in Aston amongst other things.

I noticed you are searching the name Taplin.

I was at Yenton Primary in the early fifties and Peter Taplin was in my class 1952-3 - a bright lad and a good pal. He lived nearby in Poppy Lane and I seem to remember he went to Aston Grammar whilst I and a few others left for BVGS. We lost touch mainly because I moved towards Lichfield.

I don't know whether that's any help or not.

Cheers,

David M
icon7.gif

Back