• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Billy Kimber

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
I am desperately seeking information on Billy Kimber, who was a notorious birmingham criminal in the 1920s/40s.
He was the leader of " The Brummagem Gang" who ruled the race tracks during the 20s, 30s, and 40s.
Any thing will help. Thanks. :)

Postie, there is a book called Elephant Boys, by Brian McDonald, published by Mainstream. It is abut the underworld in LA, and also Billy Kimber in the 20's/30's. There is a paperback on Amazon.

Thanks Di, I have checked and they have a copy at the Central Library, so I'll pick it up next week. O0

Hello Di, re elephant boys, the library didn't have a copy but they ordered me one.
It arrived yesterday and I went to fetch it. It was a book about some geezer in a turban called "Sabu".
I'll keep trying. :tickedoff:

postie I had to

BUT Elephant Boys by Brian Mcdonald, published by Mainstream is about the London and Los aAngeles underworld. Please tell me you are joking.............

Here is the cover

Last edited by a moderator:
The one I got was nothing like the one in the picture, it was some Indian kid with a turban on whose name was Sabu. :tickedoff:

Billy Kimber tends to come up mostly in things written about the Sabinis, particularly Darby Sabini, big London villain of the same time and main rival of Kimber. Another name to look for is Andrew Townie, who was one of Kimber's partners in crime.

Incidentally, Kimber appears on the 1901 census as a prisoner at The Green. :D

Kimber

Kimber, Townies Kirby,s Charlie Hines Ginger Thompson
Were Connected Gang Assocation ,
Thompson Was Living In Hockley In The Fifties
Charlie In Aston , Also The The Fore Fathers Of The Kirby Gang
In The Forties
Charlie Was A Notorious Hardman And Arm Robber ,
With London Connections , [big Time Heavies ,gansters ]
If You Go Into The Old Windmill Pub , On Dudley Rd
Opp;; The City Hospital At Week Ends
And Go Into The Small Snugg On The Left Hand Of The Pub
You Can See Old Charlie Sitting On The Stool At The Bar
These Was The Boys Of The B,ham Crimminal World In There Days ,
There Was One Guy Whom Whom Used To Be There Stool Pigieon
They Would Pay His Family A Huge Amount Of Money
Whilst He Served A Long Stretch Of Imprisoment ,astonian

I was interested in this thread about Billy Kimber, as my great grandfather was a bookie around this time and also lived in Birmingham. He had three name changes from William Bryan when he was living in Leicester, then Foley and finally Hardy. I did wonder if this could be connected with the gangs around that time and whether he changed his name to avoid certain people.

If anyone could throw any light on this, I would be extremely grateful.

Hi, I was born in Halesowen in 1934 Billy Kimber & Sol Wolf were great friends of my Grandmother Florrie Hall who had one child my mother
I have never known who my grandfather was things were kept very quite in those days......but in the family there was a guess.
Mike.

Wendy......I have never seen Moms birth certificate but I suspect that BK name would not be on it.
You see Mother as a young girl travelled a lot with my Grandmother living in various places, namely Brighton, London (they had a kiosk on Waterloo sation) at one time before the war.
lived in various parts of Birmingham, Handsworth, Edgebaston,last place they lived was in the house next door to the Botanical gardens,
However has a youngster Billy Kimber and Sol Wolf was mentioned a lot and they used to stay at Mom & Dads cottage in Alexandra Rd. Halesowen when they were in the district.
Maybe it would be an idea to obtain Moms birth certificate Dorothy Hall.
Mike.

Billy Kimber came out of Summer Lane. His details are in Gangs of London the new book by Brian McDonald, who first mentioned him in Elephant Boys. This time there is a biography of him and other Birmingham gang related matters. His photo is in a group picture of racecourse villains.

Hi hereward
yes you are quite right he was from around there along with the kirbys and hines and another one ginger thompson
all fromaround the area and border of hockley brook have a nice day best wishes astonian

Billy Kimber came out of Summer Lane. His details are in Gangs of London the new book by Brian McDonald, who first mentioned him in Elephant Boys. This time there is a biography of him and other Birmingham gang related matters. His photo is in a group picture of racecourse villains.

My Grandmother used to mention him coming from Summer Lane and then Brickiln Street?
Mike.

Gangs of London takes in Kimber's partnership with Andrew Towey and also the Garrison Lane Vendetta. Kimber moved to London and formed a partnership with gangs from Elephant and Castle and Camden Town. He was a major figure in racecourse gang lore.

I have looked through this thread and it explains a lot about the TV program Peaky Blinders. I knew Billy Kimber came from Boardsley but didn't know he was born in Summer Lane. The fact he linked up with gangs in London explains why he has a London accent in the program. Artistic licence. I am enjoying the program though!

I have looked through this thread and it explains a lot about the TV program Peaky Blinders. I knew Billy Kimber came from Boardsley but didn't know he was born in Summer Lane. The fact he linked up with gangs in London explains why he has a London accent in the program. Artistic licence. I am enjoying the program though!

Billy Kimber lived at Bordesley for only a short time. He moved to London around 1909 and lived at 116 York Road, Lambeth, with the McDonald family. He returned to Birmingham after a brief war with the King's Cross gang. When he returned to London he lived at Warren Street (now Grant Street) Islington, with Florrie Brooks. Gangs of London is the only accurate source for Billy. He may have been associated in his youth with the Peaky Blinders, but that is not certain. The Peakies were much earlier than the TV programme suggests. They were one of the many hooligan gangs that spread across the country in the 1890s.

Billy Kimber lived at Bordesley for only a short time. He moved to London around 1909 and lived at 116 York Road, Lambeth, with the McDonald family. He returned to Birmingham after a brief war with the King's Cross gang. When he returned to London he lived at Warren Street (now Grant Street) Islington, with Florrie Brooks. Gangs of London is the only accurate source for Billy. He may have been associated in his youth with the Peaky Blinders, but that is not certain. The Peakies were much earlier than the TV programme suggests. They were one of the many hooligan gangs that spread across the country in the 1890s.

Never heard of a Florrie Brooks ????.....My Nans name was Florrie Hall

Hereward Thanks for your reply it's so interesting on this thread
please let me know anything else.....wish i could find proof of BK and Nan I know Mom and Nan went to Btighton a lot
and also ran a Kiosk on Waterloo Station living in London at that time someone must have organised these trips ??? as I said He stayed at Moms sometimes with a collegue name Solly Wolf who I think was a Brummie bookmaker ?
All the best to you and yours.
Mike.

Thanks for the detailed info Hereward. How interesting I have read the Gangs of Birmingham which as you say the Peakies were much earlier. I must read the Gangs Of London I wish I had more time..ha ha
My father in law who was born in Neachells in 1906 told us tales of the Peakies, the info may have been exaggerated as it was passed down from his father. Mike I hope you find more information about your Nan and Billy Kimber he sounds like a typical gangster a gal in every town!

Waterloo Station is next to York Road, Lambeth. Bookies liked to locate close to stations to be able to travel to racecourses. Kimber, McDonalds, near Waterloo; George Sage, Sabini, Alf White, near King's Cross and Euston, etc. The reason that Kimber lived in London was to spread his business over southern courses like Brighton, Hurst Park and Sandown Park. To do this he formed alliances with London gangs from Elephant and Castle, Camden Town and, sometimes, Hoxton, they fought for control of pitches with the Sabini and King's Cross gangs who had joined a Jewish gang led by Alf Solomon who had been roughed up by the Brums. Years of fighting followed in which there was no outright winner. Sorry to push Gangs of London, but it is the only fully researched book on Kimber and the racecourse wars and has biographies of the leading participants.

Back