• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bill Dargue

Saint23

I am sorry to report that on New Years Eve, Bill Dargue a wonderfully enthusiastic local historian passed away. Many of you will know Bill from his websites for young people and Birmingham Place names web pages
He was a stalwart of the North Arden Local History Society, a bell ringer and author amongst many other things.His knowledge of Castle Bromwich was without parallel and his guided walks were a joy to go on. Castle Bromwich is much poorer for his passing

RIP Bill and thank you for all the work you have done. The legacy you’ve left behind will continue to be highly valued and used by many. A sad loss.

Viv.

I must apologise that I have not logged in to the site for a while owing to concerns with my wife's health, so I am a bit late contributing here. I was at St Peter's College, Saltley, with Bill and knew him very well; I am extremely sad to hear of his passing, and I offer my sincere condolences to his family. I have fond memories of the college folk club and sessions of swapping guitar knowledge with each other, quite apart from his later work as a Birmingham historian. RIP Bill....

I met Bill when we were on the same course 'Rewriting the History of Birmingham' I still have copies of his work from that time.

I’m over a year late to this ‘party’, in part due to my oldest sister’s passing last year too. However, I’m a child of the 60s and “Mr Dargue” taught me when he was deputy head of Heath Mount primary school. He was always kind and he reminded me of one third of the comedy team “the Goodies” - I won’t say which! Just a couple or so years ago I came across him online and said we’d meet up at one of his weekly peeling sessions. We never did (in part due to me having 9 cardiac arrests in 2022) which is rather a shame. RIP Mr Dargue…

Back