• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

B'ham city police mugshots!!

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
I last visited GB in March 2018, and took a clipping out of ou local paper ... about the above being digitalised for searching by anyone.
I forgot about it till this week when "Ancestry" gave me a "green leaf" nudge about a couple of my ancestors from the 1850's (I'd been having trouble trying to find them.).well, now I know why - and I have the mugshots to proove it!! Mine are the two on the left!!!
:joy::joy:Alfred and Henry Chetwin police record.png:joy:

The rule for ancestors is generally the same as it is for people today - you're more likely to hear about the bad ones.

Alfred appears to have been in trouble a few years earlier in 1881.

You're right MWS!! I also received the details of the session hearings - where it detailed all his past demeanours. He spent almost 12 years consequitive in prison, I feel a bit sorry for him having slowly pieced together his history.. mother died when he was young, father remarried and seems new wife didn't want the younger kids..they show on the censii with their grandparents, their sister etc I still haven't found out how they ended up.... time will enlighten, I suppose! Had it been the previous century, they would have been shipped off to Australia - apparently another one of my ancestors was the last person to be shippedd off for sheep stealing, only to be pardonned 20 years later!!!! I love doing my Ancestry -it's better than reading a book sometimes o_O

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Just realised -I'm talking about Henry , not Alfred. Alf seemed to get picked up when the cops were actually looking for Henry - don't see how they could be mixed up, one had light brown hair and the other dark red!!

It must have been hard at times in those days.

Ancestry is fascinating and addictive. Both Alfred and Henry appear to have settled down and had families. Their name fluctuates a bit between Chetwin, Chatwin, Chetwyn, Chetwynd and even Chester once! Finally ends up as Chetwynd it appears.

thread moved to the correct section of the forum which is our police section

Back