• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bembridge - photographer in Birmingham Centre at the turn of the century

rogerjb1303

Hi,

I'm trying to source any information available on a Nicholas Bembridge, who was (I believe) my Nan's uncle but might have been my great great grandfather (?) Apparently he had a photography business somewhere in the centre of Birmingham, around the turn of the 1800 / 1900s. When my Nan (a Gladys Rose Bembridge - which was her maiden name) was to be married to Alfred Henry Thomas Bennett in 1921 she wanted Nicholas to take the wedding pictures however I believe that he was too old / ill and so couldn't do so.

Any information on Bembridge's would be good please - however I'm eager to know if there is any historic knowledge of Bembridge's photographers (e.g. when, which address, ideally even a picture of him, etc). I've sourced 1851 census records showing a Nicholas Bembridge living in Little Hill Street, aged 5 or 6 (with a father Nicholas Bembridge, Poulterer and mother Elizabeth Bembridge) AND also again in the 1901 census - with a Nicholas Bembridge, aged 53, (head of household) married to Emma, aged 50. In the 1901 census records Nicholas Bembridge junior is shown as a photographer. His household address is Upper Cox Street.

Long shot I know and I'm new to this forum but it's a superb site. As a brummy trying to research family information for my older family members I'm loving the old memories available.
Roger.

Roger
Nicholas is listed in Kellys :
1888 Not listed
1890 Bembridge, Nicholas, photographer, 6½ High St
1892 Bembridge & Husseby, photographers, 25A Snow hill (address also listed under Nicholas Bembridge)
1895 Bembridge.Nicholas,photographer, 25A Snow Hill
1896 Not listed
Mike

Back