• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bedstead Transferer and Foreman of a Flibbing Shop?

Gillian Atkins

master brummie
Hi Folks
Can anyone enlighten me as to what a bedstead transferer was? I have an image in my head of someone walking around with a bed frame on their head! :D

Also any ideas of what a flibbing shop was? ???

By the way I love this site, I've learned so much about my family's past. I feel more of a brummy now than I ever did when I lived there.  Keep the topics coming!

Gillian :cat: :flower:

Gillian The old iron Bedsteads were sprayed black enamel and gold transfers were then put on the Top Headrests as alternatives to the big old brass bedsteads that use to be made

Thanks Cromwell. :) This was the occupation of my grandmother at 15 years of age who according to the 1891 census was living at 63 Chattaway Street, Nechells. Do you know if there was a local manufacturer nearby to where she lived? :flower:

I use to know  Chatterway St quite well Gillian, lots of little cottage industies just round there up our entry they used to make pearl buttons etc
What was you Grandparents names ?

Hi Comwell

My grandparents were Richard Foster Holland b1874 a mechancial engineer who was married to Martha Holland (nee Richardson) b1876. They are listed as having one daughter, Florrie Holland but they may have had more I don't know. They both lived at 63 Chattaway Street which belonged I think to Martha's parents John and Martha Richardson. Richard Foster Holland grew up at 39 Chattaway Street with his parents Joseph and Ellen Holland.

G
:cat: :flower:

Gillian Just round the corner from Lupin Street was Goodwin Street at no 41 lived Florence Holland and Albert V Holland and at no 44 Lived Matilda E.Holland, Doris K.Watson, Albert J.Page, Mabel C.Page.
that was in 1920

Cromwell, That's really interesting because I was led to believe that Florrie Holland gave birth to my Mom Hazel Holland and Peggy Holland out of wedlock. My Mom was so ashamed that it was a subject that she refused to talk about. After the England match has finished I will do some investigating! Thanks for the info! :smiley6600: COME ON ENGLAND!

Gillian, one of the biggest manufactures of Iron Bedsteads was Fisher Brown and Co.Lionel Street in the 1900, just by Snow Hill station

Occupations

Hi

Well My Great grandfather worked in the Iron Bed
Industry in Birmingham.
He in 1891 was recorded as a Iron Bedstead Chipper.
This is the area after casting the Iron Frames were
had all the flashings and Sprues removed by grinding.
I never heard of of Flibbing in the Iron Industry
but on this site you never know

Mike Jenks

Occupations

Hi

Yes fettling is word.
Its seems closer than Chipping.
Fettling is a term used in the Iron Industry today.

Mike Jenks

Back