• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Beatles at Odeon 64 and 65

S

Silve

Hi I have been watching Beatles archive film on BBC 2 and it brings back memories from seeing them at the Odeon 2 years running back in the sixties. First year row M then row L -a bit nearer after queing all night in cold November with no comforts ,as had told parents we were staying at each others homes!! Wouldnt change it though as the excitement at seeing them was worth it ,the greatest band ever. Could not hear them for all the screaming but a wonderful memory.Did anyone else out there go to any of their concerts?

Cheers Silve

I was there in 1964. As you say, we couldn't hear a thing, and my head spun for quite a while after. But yes. It was worth it.
Lynda

I refused to go and see them at the Odeon as they were too popular by then and they were no longer "mine" but the property of screaming school girls. Always regretted it ever since! :cry: Graham.

Silve. I know what you mean. I was there to see them on 11/10/64. The reason I know this is that I have just dug out the ticket stub that I have kept all those years. In case you where wondering I paid 10/6 for the privelage of being at a little bit of history. I also have a ticket stub for when I saw the Dave Clark Five at the Hippodrome that same year, but that only cost 6/- Barry.

I was there in 64 - second house, back row of the gods! Stood the whole time with my hands over my ears to try and drown out the screams - wouldn't have missed it for the world!
Lesley

Im the same as you Lesley. Couldnt hear a thing, but wouldnt have missed it for the world. Barry.

Hi Baz
Thanks for reminding me how much of my pocket money I forked out for the tickets!! Can't recall how much mine may have been as I was luckily in front section.I wish I had kept my ticket stub. I lovingly made a satin sash with Paul written in sequins and I waived it about when they came on stage then had it taken from me in a flash by a security guy. What a spoilsport he was!! The noise was like putting a shell to your ear though - never heard anything like it and I thought I had gone deaf next morning. I also saw Paul Mac at the NIA a few years back, also brilliant and exciting and at least could hear him. It brought back a lot of memories.
How wonderful that those four could make so many people happy for all these years. Were'nt we lucky to be in that era??
All the best
Silve

hi all
I was home on leave and went to see the Beatles, and something strange happened I was with a mate who worked at Woolworths, he showed me the back door to to the Odeon we were hanging about, there was a load of girls, and people, I got bored and stood my the steps hand rail and was speaking to this blonde girl who asked me for a fag, she said she lived in London and asked my name. Anyway my mate came over and was really strange gooing and fawning all over the place. The girl said she had to go and said if you come to some club in Chelsea (I was in the Guards and based in London at the time) she said ask for Mal, when she had gone my mate said you know who that was, No I said that was Marian Faithful well you could have knocked my over with a feather, she looked kind of familiar but all the girls then had long blonde hair and that thick eye shadow, I was really chuffed but was called back off leave a few days later for the ADEN EMERGENCY and well never saw her again, they say we all have a few minuets fame in life that's as near as I ever got.
regards
paul

Hi Cadeau
Im sad you couldnt afford to play the Beatles records. I was lucky enough to own a Dansette record player as my dad had a good job at Nuffield's car factory and could afford to indulge me. It was red and grey and sometimes I had to tape a coin on the needle as it sometines skimmed across the discs!! I first heard the Beatles 'Love Me Do' tucked up in bed with my transister on a Sunday night (dreaded school next day) and listened to the Sam Costa Show. Thought it was fab but only got to no.17 I think. That was the start of it all!!
Silve

Hi ya Paul
That's a great story re Marianne but maybe just as well you didn't take her up on the invite knowing her association with Mick !!! She was very pretty in those days so a big compliment i reckon.
Cheers Silve

I was at the 1964 concert about 6 rows from the stage,the girl next to me fainted and was lifted out by the security men....what a waste of a fantastic concert..bet she regrets that happening now!

hi silve
Its funny isn't it but I had all but forgotten about that say, 20 min's out of my life of 64 yrs but reading the forum brought it all back in a flash. I can still hear the girls screaming their lungs out and the total mellee of bodies. I remember going home on the bus and dreaming of going out with a "star", came back to earth with a bang next day when the telegram came,
regards
paul

Hi Paul
Yes it's strange how these little pockets in our memory come back to us from time to time. Life is full of if's and buts and sometimes regrets but we will never know what could have been. However I think it is a comfort to look back to when we were young and also nice to know other people on this site enjoy doing the same. Anyway have you seen 'Mal' on t.v.lately!!!?
Take Care
Silve

hi all..its great reading all your memories of seeing the beatles...i was only 11 and 12 when they were at the odeon so to young to go and see them...i often say to our mom...why couldnt you have had me about 5 years earlier...lol

lyn

I saw the beatle at the Plaza, Rookery rd Handsworth. They were just about becoming famous, I had to get on a lads shoulders to see them better, we also seen the Kinks there and even went and had a drink with them at the Farcroft pub just down the road. When I told my daughter about that she said " Fancy I've got a groupie as a mom"

Lovely stories!

Patty I seem to remember seeing the Kinks in a Birmingham pub but can't remember the name of the place. There were about 5 people in the pub plus the Kinks!

Graham.

Graham the Farcroft was in Handsworth did you go there? although there was more than 5 folks in there it was a busy pub then

hi Silve
No I have'nt seen anything of Marianne Faithful for years is she still with us? anyway I am sure she would't remember me.
regards
paul

Hi Paul
Re Marianne yes she is still out there and has a cult following and does the circuit, even a spot at the students union some time back. I'm afraid her past lifestyle hasn't done the voice any favours but she seems to be able to bluff it out!!! Still on a nostaligia trip I have just watched a DVD of Alfie with Michael Caine, have not seen it for years. Good film although some dark areas. Jane Asher, Paul's bird, was in it. Have a good weekend, what's left.
Silve

Anyone spot themselves or friends maybe? Did you get tickets? 1965 pic from Brmingham Mail Archives. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375725707.832204.jpg

Me and my brother queued up all night for tickets in 1965,. I remember the concert, couldn't hear a thing for all the screaming. Can't remember who the supporting act was tho, wasn't all that interested at the time, but if anyone can remember I'd be interested now hahaha. the year before I won tickets to see the World Premier of their film 'A Hard Days Night' at the London Pavillion in the july. The Beatles were interviewed on stage, I remember they were wearing tuxedos, I was completely star struck

Lucky you Patricia!! I was too young to go to see bands at the time, so I'm very envious. These are the tour details:

THE BEATLES BRITISH TOUR, 1964
Their standard set for this tour was: 'Twist And Shout'; 'Money (That's What I Want)'; 'Can't Buy Me Love'; 'Things We Said Today'; 'I'm Happy Just To Dance With You'; 'I Should Have Known Better'; 'If I Fell'; 'I Wanna Be Your Man'; 'A Hard Day's Night', and 'Long Tall Sally'. Their support acts were Mary Wells, The Rustiks, Michale Haslam, Sounds Incorporated and Tommy Quickly. The shows were compered by Bob Bain.

Viv.

Me and my brother queued up all night for tickets in 1965,. I remember the concert, couldn't hear a thing for all the screaming. Can't remember who the supporting act was tho, wasn't all that interested at the time, but if anyone can remember I'd be interested now hahaha. the year before I won tickets to see the World Premier of their film 'A Hard Days Night' at the London Pavillion in the july. The Beatles were interviewed on stage, I remember they were wearing tuxedos, I was completely star struck

Patricia, here's the scene of the London Pavilion decked out for its "Hard Day's Night" showing.

https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/2496

I saw the Beatles at the Gaumont in Bournemouth - can't remember whether it was 63 or 64 now.

We were on holiday, staying with relatives and my sister and I persuaded our parents to take us. I don't recall what they played but you couldn't really hear anyway because of the screaming!

hello patty. correct me if i am wrong . was it on a friday night. and did it belt down. memory not all that good patty.they sang please please me. and wore brown mo hare suites. great night

at the risk of being sent to coventry i must have been the only teenage girl in the world that didnt like the beatles
allthough my younger sister was nuts over them and brought all there records yuk

Back