• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

bearwood ice skating rink??

pam m

master brummie
hi, does anyone remember this skating rink,on the bearwood road it is now a snooker/billiads hall:rolleyes:

I spent many happy Saturday evenings there, skating to songs like "Happy Jack"! I sprained my ankle, which was scary with everyone whizzzing by, but it didn't stop me. The silly thing is I'm terrified of icy pavements now.

I was told that George Formby appeared there when it was the Windsor. It's in quite a sorry state now though.

hi, does anyone remember this skating rink,on the bearwood road it is now a snooker/billiads hall:rolleyes:
Hi Pam,
Yes I remember it and skated there, and a few others on here have. If you look in the three other ice rink threads on the forum you will probably find some of our comments about it.
oldmohawk:)

View attachment 59582This is how I remember that rink, had many a hairy moment playing Hockey there after the old rink closed, the stage area was something else, when going behind the goal at speed,loved the bar up stairs, as Phil (OLDMOHAWK) has said in the other tread (SPRINGHILL) we had to tip toe over the road to the pub opposite if we needed a drink, so it was great just to walk up to the bar.
As I have said many times on this site HAPPY HAPPY DAY & GOOD MATES

Last edited:
View attachment 59582this was the one I missed off:D

The_Windsor_Bearwood_Road_[1].jpg

did anybody ever go up to the disco in the round room on the second floor, i think it was saturdays and wenesdays, there were some real characters up there does anybody remember chris teasdale, stan day ,arnie the bouncer, ronnie horton, bod, fred swancutt, , the old chap with the bald head who was always in the foyer, there seemed to be a punch up every other night, can anybody else recall these incidents

did anybody ever go up to the disco in the round room on the second floor, i think it was saturdays and wenesdays, there were some real characters up there does anybody remember chris teasdale, stan day ,arnie the bouncer, ronnie horton, bod, fred swancutt, , the old chap with the bald head who was always in the foyer, there seemed to be a punch up every other night, can anybody else recall these incidents
Yes I do i used to go there three times aweek round about 1963, the people i remeber were Ray Williams, Colin Evans, Tony Bones, Me Diana Astle my sister susan astle What fun we had there.

I do I worked there from it's beginning up until 1966 when I moved to Jersey, it was owned and run by Mr and Mrs Osbourne. I often wondered what happened to them, if I remember correctly it was bought for their daughter to skeet there instead of Silver Blades in Birmingham, I also worked on the door there.mMalcolm ( Mac) Gateley.

Hi Mac can you remember the blonde lady Worked in the bar such a great lady had many a smile . If it wer not for Bearwood rink us Hockey players would have had no pace to go to train Thanks Mr Osboune.

I do I worked there from it's beginning up until 1966 when I moved to Jersey, it was owned and run by Mr and Mrs Osbourne. I often wondered what happened to them, if I remember correctly it was bought for their daughter to skeet there instead of Silver Blades in Birmingham, I also worked on the door there.mMalcolm ( Mac) Gateley.

Hi Mac can you remember the blonde lady Worked in the bar such a great lady had many a smile . If it wer not for Bearwood rink us Hockey players would have had no pace to go to train Thanks Mr Osboune.
Hi Baron, I remember the blonde lady she was lovely, but can't remember her name, I think she had a nice Ford Corsair car. Tried to send a few more memories, but I don.'to think that it went through. Regards Mac

Yes Mac, She did have a Ford Corsair as did I at that time, Cannot wait for your input on Bearwood Rink.
Hi Baron, I remember the blonde lady she was lovely, but can't remember her name, I think she had a nice Ford Corsair car. Tried to send a few more memories, but I don.'to think that it went through. Regards Mac

I absolutely loved it there. I knew keith who wore hockey skates and worked at the skate hire. And Robert Beard ( Bob) who looked so cool in his silk jacket. I bumped into keith a few years later and had coffee in Rackhams. I lost touch with both of them after Bearwood closed. I know it was in 1973 I just can't remember the month. Julie

I skated there in the 1970s as an alternative to school football, and my parents had seen music hall stars when it was the Windsor Theatre. It was auctioned with a guide price of £475,000 in May 2021. Any locals know what's happening now?

windsor theatre bearwood.jpeg

Attachments

• windsor theatre bearwood.jpeg
    windsor theatre bearwood.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2
Does anybody have any other photos posters anything Please?. This was such a happy time in my life, and I don't have a thing to show for it. except a few personal memories. I went about 4 or 5 times a week in 72/73. My maiden name was Thurston ( Julie) Its not like I can say Hi Bob do you remember me from 50 years ago. lol

Thank you That post worked for me.
This website has some rather small copyrighted photos of the inside of the rink.
The website was unstable on my Windows11 so I copied the photos attributed as below
Black and white photographs of Bearwood Ice Rink, formerly Windsor Theatre. An interior view prior to the opening on. 26th June 1963 22nd June 1963 Photographer: Joseph H Russell.
I suppose they give an impression of what it was like inside .. looks larger than I remember .... :)
1Bearwood.jpg
2Bearwood.jpg
3Bearwood.jpg

Thank you I remember the balcony, and the clock. I was trying to work out if there were any seats apart from the benches on the balcony. I think I spent a lot of time standing.

I think there was bench seating round some of the ice. I remember the figure skaters' music and the ice being cleared for speed skaters. In the 1970s there was a mature man who danced with yoga movements very slowly in a circle. This amused us schoolboys though with hindsight he must have been strong as he could crouch down to his feet repeatedly while in motion. I think the photos posted above make the rink look vast because there are no skaters.

Thank you it was a very happy part of my life. I was so sad when it closed. I never quite adapted to the Silver blades I remember only going on a Wednesday. Bearwood I think I practically lived there I went most nights except Friday when I worked till 7pm. I felt safe there and I always had friends to walk up to the number 11 bus stop with me.

The Express & Star suggests the ice rink closed in 1973, so poor timing before Robin Cousins and Jayne Torvill and Chris Dean made skating glamorous. There are some seasonal open air rinks in the Midlands now, but Silver Blades is no more either. I lived for 30 odd years in Bearwood and always found it a peaceful place. There have been many changes, but I think Bearwood still has considerable community spirit.

I just wish I knew the month it closed. I can't find that info anywhere. it may jog my memory. In those days I didn't have a house phone and I changed jobs in September 1973. I have been back and forth. I left Harborne Poole Crescent where I lived for 33 years, Came back in 92/3 for a holiday and then again in January 96 for 6 months and then off to london for 5 years. Returning to the States Dec 2001 and back twice in July/
August 2004 for a funeral, and then a holiday. I used to go to Bearwood shopping a lot on a Saturday late 60's 70's.

I just wish I knew the month it closed. I can't find that info anywhere. it may jog my memory. In those days I didn't have a house phone and I changed jobs in September 1973. I have been back and forth. I left Harborne Poole Crescent where I lived for 33 years, Came back in 92/3 for a holiday and then again in January 96 for 6 months and then off to london for 5 years. Returning to the States Dec 2001 and back twice in July/
August 2004 for a funeral, and then a holiday. I used to go to Bearwood shopping a lot on a Saturday late 60's 70's.
I can't remember the month of closure, I'm afraid Virginia. Too long ago! Might be something in the papers? Smethwick Telephone? But the run in British Newspaper Archive ends currently in 1931 and I could only find ads in Birmingham papers. Adult skate hire 1/- three sessions a day. Good value. I didn't own my own skates. Derek/ Stokkie

Last edited:
Thank you. I didn't own my own skates till I got to the Silver blades I had exhausted the people who had helped me tie them and finally had to stand on my own 2 feet. lol I got tired of having wobbly loose skates that felt like I had a metal rod in them. Julie

Thank you. I didn't own my own skates till I got to the Silver blades I had exhausted the people who had helped me tie them and finally had to stand on my own 2 feet. lol I got tired of having wobbly loose skates that felt like I had a metal rod in them. Julie
It is miserable that so many ice rinks have closed. I was a bit spoiled as I lived in Gladys Road Bearwood with Thimblemill Baths at the end of the road, so I could swim, skate or take a short walk to Warley Woods. At least the woods are still there! Derek

My dad took us to Thimblemill baths on a Sunday even when there was snow on the ground. We were nearer to Harborne baths but my dad prefered it there. I liked it when the small pool was open. Julie

Back