• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BBC 1 tonight No. 11 route

john70

master brummie
I have been told that on BBC 1 tonight at 7 30 there is a programme about the No. 11 bus route. I can get it here in Somerset on Sky 979 so hope the info. is correct.

Its a regional BBC1 programme John70 called "Inside Out", and broadcast from BBC Midlands, so it's worth checking out if sky 979 will give you the correct programme.

Yes Mike I never miss it if I can it comes from this region the host reads our local news from time to time on Look East

Yes thanks Pollypops. Not made it clear what I'm getting at!! What I really meant was will the regional version of Inside Out be on iPlayer? i.e. Will the Brum regional version (of the No. 11 bus route) be available on iPlayer across the country? I'm in the South East so we'll get the London version on BBC 1 tonight. Not sure if that's made it any clearer!! Viv.

Yes thanks Pollypops. Not made it clear what I'm getting at!! What I really meant was will the regional version of Inside Out be on iPlayer? i.e. Will the Brum regional version (of the No. 11 bus route) be available on iPlayer across the country? I'm in the South East so we'll get the London version on BBC 1 tonight. Not sure if that's made it any clearer!! Viv.
Hello Viv.
If you have Sky TV go to channell 979 and you can watch the midlands programmes there. John70

Great! Thanks everyone. Looking forward to seeing it as I used to travel every day on the no. 11 route.:)

Thanks Dave & Polly but it has nothing about tonight also I looked what is showing and its usual 3 subjects but no mention of the No11 Bus route:(

The programme only finished on TV about 10 minutes ago. It takes a while for it to be available on iplayer - I am not sure how long though.

I have a video cassette from "Discovery Films" called Round the Circle, a journey of history and discovery around the Outer Circle. It lasts 98 minutes, and as I remember it was advertised by a letter at all houses near to the route.

I remember that it was quite good, but will have to find a way of converting to digital!

Cannot see a date on the cassette.

Best wishes Peter

Thanks for that Dave. I agree with that bloke..... " They're like Bananas always come in bunches"

It would be interesting to have a similar programme on the other 2 cross city routes, the inner circle (No. 8) and the city circle (No. 19) and isn't the No. 28 a sort of cross city service ?? Eric

Back in the late 30's or early 40's my mom and her sister had been out for the evening and travelled on the number 11 route. When they got to their bus-stop on the way home, my aunt had fallen asleep. Rather than wake her up, mom paid the conductor to take her round again. Although she herself got off and went home. :)

I finally found it and it was a little to rushed for a programme like that. I think I just keep the original Bus ride in my memories.

When someone didn't know who Tony Hancock was that just about summed it up

Although it was over too quickly the film brought back lots of memories. I travelled every school day there and back from Tame Road Witton to Stockland Green in the 1960's. See the thread "The Stockland Green Flyer".

Was an interesting feature but could have been much longer. I had to watch online as I could only find the London Version on the TV,s I player.

I used to know Rob Handford, that chap with the Birmingham Guy "2448? oddly enough I remember two of us , I cant remember the chaps name,putting a wheel on the bus and Im pretty certain it was the front O/S. This was when the bus was kept at Pensnett for a while, I wish them all well:)

Agree with everyone that the programme should have been longer. Well it deserves a programme all of it's own. For anyone who's interested her are a few stats from the programme
At any one time there are 21 buses on the outer circle route
It was once alleged to be the longest route in Europe
Per day 50,000 people use the service!!
There are 266 stops along the route
It takes 2 & a half hours to circumnavigate the route

It was good to see a few glimpses of places along the route, but would have liked to have seen more. Viv.

I managed to watch the part of the programme dealing with the 11 route: to access it I followed one of the links kindly posted here.

To be fair it struck me that the programme was a fill-in as it was basically brief glimpses of parts of the long route. The interesting parts to me were seeing the Aston Transport Museum and buses 2542 and 3002. I was also pleased to see a brief glimpse of Sarehole Mill and Bournville.

Anyway it was an pleasant short video about 'buzzes'. ;)

I have to admit I've been watching the programme for almost all the time its been on in the Suffolk region and its been in three parts since it began and I've always thought it could have been 2 parts.

With the time to tell you about it and the close it works out about 7 mins each.

I remember mom dad and myself doing the number 11 round trip about 1950. I managed to find the programme on the Iplayer, I also thought it was a bit short. It would be good to see an hour long programme with stops along the way at interesting places.

Pamela

I put it on BBCi Player this evening - skipped to the bit with the no 11 bus.

It's useful to me to go to the suburbs, then take photos in them.

Bournville is one of my favourite places to get the 11C to. Selly Oak is a good interchange for catching buses up and down the Bristol Road. Yesterday I had a look at the canal, railway line and river between Stirchley and Cotteridge (Pershore Road and can catch the 45 or 47).

On the 11A - (from where I am) you can go to Old Yardley, and go straight to the old village of Blakesley Hall.

Yeah sometimes the 11 is unreliable, if they come in threes, or if you miss one. At least most bus stops have those things with how long you have to wait for one.

10 mins is ok, but 20 mins is not.

On Sunday's they only come once every 20 minutes.

They seem to go off duty after 6pm on weekdays. Lots of 11E's by then.

Sometimes I've had to walk home from Acocks Green Village (after getting a 37 from town) - if I can beat the 20 plus minute waiting at the bus stop.

Back