• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baxter's of Beales Street, Aston and Hansons Bridge Road, Erdington

white3012

proper brummie kid
Hi All

Due to studying for a degree I have had to put Family History research on the back burner, its been so long (at least 5-6 years) since I posted on here I have effectively had to re-register with my original user name, anyway now the studies have finished I am slowly picking up the Family History research again, which had been continued by my dad, who has spent so much time at the archives he should move in, one or two questions have come up during his visits over the years.

One concerns my Great Grandfathers sister, Emily White (1873-1955), she lodged with/shared a house for about 30 years as far as we can ascertain with a family by the name of Baxter, first at 30 Beales St from at least 1920 to 1945, then 157 Hanson's Bridge Road, Erdington from 1945 until her death there in 1955, the informant of her death was a George William Baxter. There were Baxter's registered at 157 Hansons Bridge Road until (we believe) 1985. At one point at Beales Street there was a George Baxter, Eva Georgina Baxter and Emily White registered at the address.

My quest is simply for a bit of information concerning Emily, what was the connection with the Baxters, where was she buried/cremated (exhausted all avenues with this at the moment) and is there a photograph in existence of her and perhaps her brother who Died of Wounds in 1915.

So is anyone posting on here part of the Branch of the Baxters that lived at the two addresses with Emily or do you know someone who is, I appreciate that what is being asked is a long shot, but I've always said "if you don't ask you don't get", I put a similar request in the Tamworth Herald a few years back concerning another part of the family and got some fantastic information and found a long lost cousin, so it works (sometimes).

Steve

Alberta

Thank you for that information, that at least establishes Emily White was living with a married couple, rather than a widower and daughter.

Steve

Steve perhaps Emily was a long time friend of Eva, just found this ,Emilys age out a bit.
1911 Bk 26 Lichfield Road Aston
Emily White age 34 b Birmingham, unmarried, Collector for credit Draper
Evelyn White age 9 Neice
Eva Jones age 21, boarder. works for Wholesale Ladies outfitter.

Alberta

My dad and I were aware of Emily in the 1911 Census and the discrepancy with her age, the niece Evelyn is the eldest child of Emily's younger brother George who died of wounds in 1915. Evelyn my dads "Aunty Eva" worked in later years at the Hercules Bicycle works she died in 1957.

I hadn't made the connection with what you told me yesterday and the name of Emily's lodger in 1911 which is entirely plausable, its amazing what a fresh pair of eyes see's looking at something they aren't connected with, thank you very much.

Steve

I found it by accident searching for the Eva Jones (who married George Baxter) who I know was born in 1890, when I saw her living with an Emily White, I couldn't believe it.

Last edited:
Back