• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Baxters Bolt and Rivet Works

edrab

Brummie babby
Greetings All,
I believe that my Great Uncle, Frederick Baxter, was involved in establishing the Baxter Rivet Works in Parade, Birmingham in the 1890s. Can anyone confirm that and/or provide any other information about the works and the people who owned/manged it?
Thanks, edrab.

edrab, when i worked at the Hi-Ton in Sheepcote Street (1961) there was a Baxters oposite that manufactured nuts,bolts screws etc. All long gone I'm afraid. Posh flats for the Yuppies there now.
jimbo

its ok...the address is the parade works sheepcote st...will see if i can find a pic of it...

lyn

hi edrab...i am still searching for a pic of the baxters factory..you could well have this info that i have found but if not here is it...

baxters established 1887
1914 manufacterer of bolts.screws and rivets employing 100 people
1939 aircraft industry supplier...

this advert was in the aeroplane magazine dated 15th december 1939 and looks like baxters played an important part in ww2...

lyn

baxtersadvert.jpg

found one edrab..baxters of sheepcote st dated 1958..pic courtesy of the old ladywood site..cant quite make out if that van is one of baxters but it looks like a substantial size factory..

lyn

baxterssheepcotest1958.jpg

Last edited:
edrab. The Hi-Ton was a manufacturing factory which made parts for the Motor Trade and other Industries. When I worked there in the early '60s, I was employed in the Milling Shop. I used to mill the edges of car door hinges. Dirty, oily and very rough on the hands, (swarf). The Hi-Ton moved to the old Ariel Motor Cycle works in Selly Oak, and then down to Montgomery Street, Sparkbrook. I do believe they are now defunct, as with a lot of our manufacturing industry.
I see the lovely Astoness is already on the photo quest and I am sure there will be further replies with photos. Since becoming a member of this great Forum I can't help but be amazed at the knowledge of the members.
There is a "met up" planed for December 15th at The Jewellers Arms, why not try and come along it should be great fun. ( I've never been to one myself yet, looking forward to it very much)

Many thanks for the photo, Astoness, I am not familiar with the 'old ladywood site'.

I have been away for a few days, so missed jimbos request for Baxters' address, but it appears to have been identified. I have the postal address as 78 Parade and the site as Parade Works in Sheepcote Lane, probably on the corner of the two, but I don't have an old street map to confirm that.

I have managed to collect a few of the old advertisements and write-ups about the business, which was founded by two of my greatgrandfather's brothers in the 1880s and sold to GKN in the early 1960s. And now I have a photo of the place, which is a great prize.

Thanks for the info on Hi-Ton and the heads-up on the get-together in December, jimbo, but it's a long drive from Australia to Birmingham and I don't think I'll make it this year. However, do have one for me.

Roger.

most welcome roger...looking at street view it seems to be on the corner of st vincent st and sheepcote st and looking at the pic i posted the majority of the works being in sheepcote st...if mike our map expert spots this post i am sure he would post you an old map pinpointing baxters....

lyn

hi roger ;
sheepcote lane and sheepcote street was at the corner of the parade district
the parade started at summer hill and into the city centre boundry
from the actual parade square centre you would walk up edward rd and cross the king edward rd
which was only actualy a couple of paces and you are walking up sheepcote street and at the top of the left hand
of it you would be in sheepcote lane and baxtors took almost of the whole lengh of sheepcote lane
before hitting the jewish synogoe behind baxtors in those early yuears the cannal runs up behind them and they would have had there coal delivered by barge to there way side at the botom end of sheepcote street along side the canal which is part of the cut that went throgh baxtors was a big coal merchants whom suplied coal to people whomwas in the bussiness as coal merchants sorry i cannot think of the coal merchants just yet i did later in years meet there relies and they lived in a posh house in selly park ; she was a nice lady i met hr wat back in the seventys
have a good day best wishes astonian;

Hi, According to The Kelly's Directory 1940, Baxter's (Bolts, Screws & Rivets) Ltd, (Parade Works) seems to have occupied the ground (I have marked) with the incomplete red triangle, between Nile Street and possibly the "Towing Path"....the land the other side of the canal, towards the Engine Shed, I believe was occupied by Shelton & Co. bldrs merc.

This map is from 1955 and I do not have access to Kelly's for that period, but it maybe that the other red shape I've marked, belonged to Baxter's too at that time as it is also marked "Screw, Bolt & Rivet Works.

Sheepcote Street 2a.jpg
The land between "Birmingham Level" (Canal) and St Vincent Street in 1955 was occupied by the Engine Shed and tracks.

Hopefully Mike will confirm this

Lindyloo
In 1955 , and presumably 1958, Baxters only occupied between Oozelsl St north and Nile St. There fore the map below shows Baxters in red. The picture was taken at the position of the arrow, as the wartime access on the bridge above the canal for firefighting purposes is just in front of the camera

map_c_1955_showing_position_o_baxters_on_Sheepcote_St.jpg

Hi Mike, Thanks for the information for 1955/58 and the position of where the photo was taken....looking at Google Maps..that bridge wall with the little door(s ?) in appears to be the only remaining piece of brickwork left today of that stretch of Sheepcote Street judging from the great photo posted by Astoness .

Would you agree that in earlier years, Baxter's occupied more land as I indicated in my earlier post ??

I also found that in 1921 the address for Baxter's was 75 Parade, (also occupied by Noah Bloomer, export mer.) and that Parade ran between Sand Pitts and Summer Row... and that the building (75) was between Edward Street and Summer Row (possibly where the Birmingham Christian Centre is today ??)
So is it logical to assume the building in Sheepcote Street was called "Parade Works" due to having moved from there..?

What an amazing community and mine of information is this site! I posted my original enquiry more than two years ago and had a wonderful response at that time and thought 'that is that'. But, no, out of the blue I suddenly find myself deluged with new and very specific information about Baxters factory - from the other side of the world, many thank to you Jimbo, Astoness, Lindyloo, Astonian, glassalli and Mikejee for connecting a few more pieces of my family history jigsaw. Your contributions are much appreciated.

I remember that Mike Clark & Alan Hammond were at Baxters in the 70s, I don't remember them selling out to GKN in the 60s. Mike Clark was an ex Linread apprentice like myself. Reg Hammond had a toolmaking company & Gerry had Hammond Screw machinery, all involved in the Fastener Industry.

hi roger very happy to chip in and assist you and to help in some small way.... if i come accross anymore pics of baxters i will post them for you...

daverock just going slightly off track here but your mention of linreads just bought to mind that our mom used to work for them doing outwork...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi edrab, I thought I would do a bit more digging for info on Baxters...you may already have this info,(and hopefully Ive got it right) so apologies if you have...
From the 1891 census, 71, South Road, Birmingham
Harry Baxter, 32, Copper Rivet Manufacturer
Wife, Elizabeth (nee Lane...married 1884)
Daughter, Mary A...6
Son, Ernest L. ...3
Daughter, Constance V...1

From Directories
1892..Harry Baxter, Rivet manufacturer, 374, Moseley Road
1895, Parade, Harry (Hy) Baxter, Rivet manufacturer
(78, Parade was also occupied by 9 others of all different trades.)
Baxters was listed then at "Parade" until 1933
From 1936 to February of 1982 it was in Sheepcote Street.
It was not listed in the 1983 phone directory.

The only mention of a Frederick that I have seen was in the 1871 census, when the family were living in Banbury.
Frederick being Harry's older brother by about 2 years

Hope this helps

I have quite a bit of information about the Birmingham Baxters, thanks, lindyloo, mainly through census and directories and contact with distant cousins related to the original owners, but I didn't have much about the business and factory - until now. Your comments and those of daverock contradict earlier info I had about GKN, which is great, so now I will have to get in and find more evidence of what happened and when. And, Astoness, yes, I will get onto the old ladywood sight - thanks for that.
Roger

Hi All

While researching another Baxter family for a friend, I came across the following paragraph published in The London Gazette of 17 November 1916 (Issue:29828 Page: 11189):

"Notice is hereby given, that the partnership heretofore carried on between us, the undersigned, Frederick Baxter and Harry Baxter, carrying on business at 76, 77, 78 Parade, Birmingham under the style or form of “BAXTERS BOLT SCREW AND RIVET WORKS,” has been dissolved by mutual consent as and from 13[SUP]th[/SUP] day of November 1916. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said Frederick Baxter, who will continue to carry on the business under the same style or firm name. – Dated this 13[SUP]th[/SUP] day of November 1916

FREDERICK BAXTER​
HARRY BAXTER​
BAXTERS(BOLTS,SCREWS & RIVETS),LIMITED was incorporated on 24 October 1929 but has since been dissolved. A winding up resolution was passed at an extraordinary general meeting held on 26[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1982

Hi,

I worked at Baxters from 1977-1981, when I first joined it was a fairly large plant with equipment in storage from before the war, like a museum, there wars one underground storage area that used to be an air raid shelter that had some of the racing memorabilia and spare Jag wheels from one of the Baxter brothers racing days. There were also people who could remember being on air-raid duty on the roof during bombing raids, rich history mostly gone now (apart from a rivet machine that used to be on display in the science museum).

I believe that they went into receivership in 1983, does anyone know who the last owners were?

Cheers

Great site by the way

Back