• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Baron Davis

Davenport

master brummie
I’ve tried for ages to try and find out something more about Baron ( christian name not title ) Davis.
I only use Ancestry but can find very little. Wondering if anyone can help?

Baron Davis born September 1911. Mother Esther Levy, Father Davis. Married by 1939 when he appears on 1939 register with Wife, Hilda / Sarah Hilda. @ Fabian Crescent Birmingham.
I Cannot find any other records of him. Sarah Hilda marries again in 1962 and dies 1963.
Thank You.

In 1935 the electoral roll shows him living at 39 Willows Crescent with Esther Davis. £9 still there , and can be seen at https://goo.gl/maps/f5gN9YLNSQpAGv1Y6
In 1930 Esther Davis and Bachel Levy lived at that address and in 1939 Esther Davis was there with Tabitha and CharlesHenry Chamberlain, which makes me think Esther was renting rooms out

I’ve tried for ages to try and find out something more about Baron ( christian name not title ) Davis.
I only use Ancestry but can find very little. Wondering if anyone can help?

Baron Davis born September 1911. Mother Esther Levy, Father Davis. Married by 1939 when he appears on 1939 register with Wife, Hilda / Sarah Hilda. @ Fabian Crescent Birmingham.
I Cannot find any other records of him. Sarah Hilda marries again in 1962 and dies 1963.
Thank You.
The Fabian Crescent address is Shirley, Solihull not actually Brmingham.
There are fewer Solihull records available online than for Birmingham - no erolls for instance.
That house is still there - see streetview with wheelie bin showing number

Possibly born Hackney, registered as Isaac Baron Davis Dec qtr 1911. Possibly the son of Robert John H Davis and Esther Levy, both of Bham.

Have you found a birth record?
The only one I can see with mmn Levy and born in 1911 is actually registered Isaac Baron Davis. Birth in Hackney.

Posting at same time again MWS o_O

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
There is a burial of an Isaac Davies in February 1963 at Lodge Hill but no middle intital given so I am not sure it is the righ t person.

In 1935 the electoral roll shows him living at 39 Willows Crescent with Esther Davis. £9 still there , and can be seen at https://goo.gl/maps/f5gN9YLNSQpAGv1Y6
In 1930 Esther Davis and Bachel Levy lived at that address and in 1939 Esther Davis was there with Tabitha and CharlesHenry Chamberlain, which makes me think Esther was renting rooms out
On eroll on Ancestry in 1939 the Chamberlains were at 39 Willow Road.
Esther was at 39 Willow Crescent with an Evelyn Grant also listed.
Interestingly there is a 39 and a 39A - not sure why.

If you look at the view of Willow Crescent today, you see that there is 37, 39 , 39A .41 today also, with them all looking like separate houses. But 39,39A and 41 are slightly different. I suspect that originally the space occupied by these was just two houses, but was rebuilt for some reason. The next house was already 43, so the additional house had to fit in with the system.

The Rachel Levy with them on the ERs is probably her mother. Her father was a Samuel Levy from Russia/Poland a commercial traveller. He only appears with the family in 1911. Possible on other censuses when his birthplace is listed as Exeter.

Thank you Mike Janice & MWS. This information is definitely correct .
I had only know him as Baron not Isaac,Perhaps he only used Baron as he was the Nephew of Baron John Davenport.
Esther Levy was the Sister of Jennie and Leah Levy who were both married to Baron John Davenport.
This has filled in so many gaps, Thanks again Clive

Baron is a fairly common name within the Jewish community (e.g. the actor Sasha Baron Cohen), it originated from the Hebrew....

Exploring its deeper Hebrew roots, one uncovers Baron's ties to the Israeli name Bar-On, which means "son of strength." So it seems, Baron is an inheriter of potency with unlimited potential in every sense of the word.

I see he was born in Hackney which is the London Borough I now live in!

Adjustments to your dates Clive, not 1962, Sarah remarried in 1982 , April/May or June and her husband Herbert Windebank died in June 1982, she died Sept 1983. all in Suffolk.

Isaac Baron Davis address when he died was Bridge house Debenham which is a beautiful listed dwelling,

Addresses for the deaths of Herbert and Sarah is 114a Hardwick Lane ,Bury St edmunds.

Thanks for that Alberta, my error. Just had a look at Bridge House and yes it is beautiful house, with a lot of history I should think.
Everyone on B H F are so helpful,I’ve been able to find out so much more since my post .
Thank You.

Back