• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barford Road School Ladywood

Hi
It looks very much like Waverley Grammar School to me, if so i was there at the school when the picture was taken!!
Cheers

It looks just like "St Michaels" old school in the Bartley Green old village, I went there from 52/55 when the new school, even down to the railings. thinking about it though a lot of Victorian schools did look the same.
paul

I have just looked on G. St. and it looks like the right place Paul.

I can't remember when "St michaels" was demolished Stitcher, but it would have been around late 50's time,it's the right side of the playground, and the railings look the same, but some 57yrs on can't be sure.
Regards Paul.

Paul I am sorry I caused a bit of confusion because I ommited to say it was Barford Road Ladywood. When I said I had looked on street view and said it looked like the right place, I meant it that it did look like Barford Road. Forgive a busy old man for being too busy.

There's absolutely no need to apologise, as I said stitcher I was't certain after so many years, and as the other chap said he did't think it was either. I have to say the really interesting and topical photo's you spend such a lot of time putting on for us is brilliant, I have never put any up because I don't know how.
Regards
paul

Hello again Paul, I have said many times that if whatever I post stirs a few memories then it is my pleasure to post them.

Some information about the school from British History Online :

BARFORD ROAD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Rotton Park. Barford Rd. Bd. Sch. opened 1887 by Birm. Sch. Bd. Accom. 1,180 in 4 depts.: B, G, M, I. Fees 1d.–3d. By 1899 in 2 depts. (M, I). Reorganized 1932 for SB, I. Building damaged by enemy action 1940. SB dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.). Reorganized 1960 for JI. Accom. 1961: 6 classrooms, hall.

BARFORD ROAD BOYS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Rotton Park. Became a separate sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.). N.o.b. 1961: 285.

Sorry, no date for the photo below. Viv.
5AF8961A-8ACF-4F43-B17A-6DD2D9ADEA13.jpeg

Lovely photo Maurice. Was trying to work out what the drawings were around the room - I think they’re chalk drawings and different classrooms had a display of different drawings. Thanks Rob, an impressive collection of school photos on that site. Viv

Last edited:
Yes, Viv, definitely drawings as they are far too large for pressed flowers, the other thing that was all the rage at that time and now seems to have died out.

RonT,

Yes, I also posted this to Mac's site a year or two back and I presume that all the kids in the photograph were given a copy as mine came from a family album. I notice that I also quoted 1910 to Mac as given that the lad was born in 1903, that seemed more likely a date than the 1907 pencilled on the back of the photograph.

Maurice :cool:

I attended Barford Road Boys School from 1946 until 1950 , the Head Teacher was Mr Griffin and I remember my class teachers were Mr Flavell , Mr Kingscote (2years) and History and Gardening with Mr Peasnell, I have found one person who attended the school ,but after I left , I know that I am ancient ,but I cant believe there is nobody left from my era.

Welcome Dave. I’ve moved your post to this earlier thread, so there may be previous posts you’ve not already seen. Viv.

It is reasonably certain that my grandfather and his five brothers and four sisters attended Barford Road School . Given that the first brother was born in 1884 and the last sister in 1903 this should suggest a continuous presence there between around 1889 and and 1916.

Any of them may be on the pictures uploaded here. I cannot seem to load the 'Old Ladywood' site and would love to have a look at what is there.

OK. Thanks for that. It takes me back to the WayBack Machine internet Archive. This has taken snapshots of the original website over a period of 20 years and I can navigate back into it from there. Does Mac Joseph's original website no longer exist?

Back