• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barbara Trueman shop in Driffold , Sutton Coldfield

tali

master brummie
Looking in old book saw pic of a shop called Barbara Trueman in Driffold , Sutton Coldfield- anyone have more info on it?:)

Hi Tali:I think Barbara Trueman's shop inthe Driffold sold women fashions. Don't know anything more about it sadly.

This is the DRIFFOLD as it is today, I know of only on shop in the Driffold, which is now a funeral sevice.The other side of the Driffold their are cottages ,In between are Bodington Gardens so named as a memorial to Dr George Bodington, who owned THE WHITE HOUES Sanatotium at Maney Corner were the ODEON CINEMA was built around 1935.
Sorry this as now answered you post but I have attached two photos of the area I speak of.
THE BARON (ASTON)
Replaced by what may be the same as original lost photos
THE%20ONLY%20SHOP%20IN%20THE%20DRIFFOLD.jpgOTHER%20SIDE%20OF%20THE%20DRIFFOLD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Baron: Thanks for posting those photos of the Driffold. That garden is amazing these days after years of being overrun with weeds, etc. It's a knockout. The first shop you can see in the Driffold is a rather high class house furniture designer and you can get your special furniture reupholstered.
There was a wine shop there three years ago and I remember a newsagents
as well.

When I worked at Wyndley I often walked that way and caught the bus up from the Odeon. I will get on friends reunited later and ask a friend who might know. A fashion shop rings a bell but I was more into sports wear in those days. Jean.

There is also an Art Gallery, that once was the Smithy grade 11 listed . It's a beautiful place. The Driffold was all shops at one time, before that i would presume cottages or maybe stables...Cat

Yes, Catkin it looks like it was a little self contained place and in the old days quite a walk to the Parade. Some of the houses behind The Driffold are
pretty spiffy if you know what I mean. I got lost last time I visited trying to take a short cut to the Horse and Jockey which is across the road from The Driffold. Made it eventually....my poor feet.

Jennyann Spiffy, one of my sayings (spiffing) when i used the Horse and Jockey, My husband and i went there quite often where i sipped martini and smoked with a cigaratte holder. Happy memories...Cat

Hi Catkin: You must have looked a picture with your long cigarette holder in the Horse and Jockey. Lovely memories no doubt. A few years ago they remodelled the whole place. It's very different to what it used to be like ....now very contemporary but quite nice. I met my friend Christine in there one afternoon after not seeing her for several years and we ended up sitting there for five hours chatting away. We eventually had dinner and no one said a thing about how long we were there!

Hello Jennyann, Do you live in Sutton,? I thought you lived in Canada. I met my cousins last November first time in years (Edinburgh ) and we did the very same thing and no-one said a word. Hope to do it again soon.
Sutton Coldfield was my Haunt, shame it has changed so much...Cat

Catkin, Yes I do live in Canada, in Vancouver on the West Coast. My brother, Bill, lives close to Four Oaks Station on Lichfield Road and I have stayed with him many times when I visit. Nice thing is that both my son and daughter have lived in Sutton Coldfield with Bill for several months and both worked in Brum so they know all about those places.:)

Sutton Coldfield has always been a favourite place for me and now when I come over I have got to know it much better except for when I take shortcuts and get lost. I use the computers in Sutton Library and was in there so often on visits the ladies on the desk got to know me.

Jennyann, I lived in Victoria road for some years my son's would spend ages in the Library. My sister still lives there, i don't think she will ever move away. and If i ever go back i will go to Sutton to live.

Hi Tali
Hope i have the right location
The Driffold
Came down and met the road where the lovely shops were
if memeory serves me correct where the shops were was called Beeches Walk,and i beleive Barbara Truemans was towards the end by the lovely gardens as they were then.
Begining at the top of Beeches Walk was a lovely bakers called Firkins.chemist,newsagents ,butchers,wrensons(where i worked) travel agent then there was a driveway and then i think there was another shop and then the lovely Barbaara Trueman shop.
Thank you for the memories
Pam

Wales, the VICTORIA ROAD in Sutton Coldfield runs from the top of Lower Parade up by TRINITY CHURCH along to the bottom of Reddicap Hill,
The Pub at the crossroads of Victoria Road & Mill Street was known as THE KINGS ARMS.

Victoria road, Sutton Coldfield Lyn, Top end of the parade, then they spoilt it as usual by building a car park for sainsburys there was also a murder a young girl by the name of Angeline... G.r.h.s... prior to that some nutter had been spying on me, which really freaked me out. I don't know if they ever caught any-one for this murder, but i do know who was one of the suspects...Cat

SPOT ON, PAM 1949, it is beeches Walk that runs down from Jockey Road to the bottom of THE DRIFFOLD

gosh cat you were spied on... must have been scary.. hence your ability to dodge the enemy now then lol

if you like unless you already have some i will try and hunt you out a couple of victoria road pics.

lyn:)

You are wonderful Lyn, I would like that, i think i have a couple but not of the actual road...Cat

You guessed it, that's where i got my training. lol

Hello all
I was a midland red bus driver from 1955 till 1970 at Sutton Garage and i remember the 107 starting from the pub on the parade but having problems remembering where the Driffold is that garden is very nice great pics does anyone have a pic oof the parade as it looks today Allen Gibson

As you reach the bottom of the Parade you come to a picture house,( i think it was the Gourmont ) on the left hand side. turning right the Driffold is on the right hand side and your bus stop would be opposite.
Incidentally they where showing Gorrillas in the mist at that picture house along with another film who's title eludes me and some-one had climbed up in the night and moved the lettering around and made it read Gorrillas in the s..t typical Brummie humour i thought...Cat

Hi Catkin: The cinema, which is a listed building with protection on the outside, since it was built in Art Deco style, is the Odeon. That area is known as Maney Corner. Years ago there was another cinema right in the Parade called the Empress.

Allen, the pub might have been have been The Cup where the 107 bus came to. Now I am thinking it was across from the shops further up the Parade...a pub called The Dog way back when. Lots of pics here of The Parade, Sutton Coldfield...https://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=Sutton%20Coldfield%20Parade&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Thanks for the correction Jennyann, i can see it now.
The Empress if i remember correctly was up by The Dog.

The Dog was at the top of the parade which was the terminus for the 107 sadly it's no longer The Dog and The Cup was in the middle almost opposite the private hospital...Cat

Hi All
Thank you Jennyann for the pictures of Sutton, brought back lots of memories, going to the Sat. morning matinees at the Empress as a child and the Odeon as a teenager. There used to be a coffee house just down from the Odeon on the same side where we would all get together on Sat. & Sun. then go of to a dance or the pictures, can you remember it's name. I also remember the dances at the hall up from the Odeon the group we liked was Carl Fenn & the ( but don't remember what ) they were alot like Cliff Richards & the Shadows. Also have a scary memory of the Pub down the street, ( we had to use the bathroom there as the coffee shop didn't have one ) one night when leaving there was a guy flashing himself right as you come out the door, freaked me out. I visited Sutton last year with my daughter, I must say I liked the old one.
I see you live in the same area of Canada as me, I'm in the White Rock area, where are you.
Hilary

THanks Baron,
I remember them well. The fire station when I was there was the Barcleys Bank at the top of the stairs.
Hilary

Hi Topsy: As far as I can remember there was a cafe there called "The Buttery". It was a gathering place for young people in Sutton. It's an Indian restaurant now or at least it was three years ago. There are Thrift shops along there now, places where the helpers say Hello when I visit. An Iceland Store and the wonderful Jewellers next door to the Odeon is still there. I remember going to see "Exodus" in 1961 at the Odeon The film was so long that my bf and I were stranded as the buses to Erdington had stopped running by the time we came out. I had to phone my Dad to come and collect us! MY bf lived at Wylde Green so we would have had to walk.

Catkin, I think The Dog has had a couple of names of late. I waited for a bus to Town outside there and it was really in disgusting shape especially the pavements. I could have cried. Years ago we used to walk across Sutton Park on Sundays sometimes, up Park Road and into The Dog for a drink. It was a lovely warm friendly place.

Topsy, I live in Coquitlam above Maillardville, one mile from the Lougheed Mall. Have lived here for almost 30 years. Our neighbours in Erdington emigrated after WW2 to Vancouver and eventually ended up living in White Rock. My mother-in-law, who was English and a War Bride, came over to Canada in 1943 from England with her son, my husband and lived in White Rock, eventually coming back there for the last l5 years of her life. It's a beautiful place.

Last edited:
You got Jennyann, it was the Buttery a great meeting place, the young people came from all over not just Sutton. I used to go to the Park as well & the fairground that was there.
I came to Canada with my Nan to visit her sister in 1962 and decided to stay, it was much easier then all I needed was a letter from my father to say I could as I wasn't 19yrs old and I was in.

Jennyann, Yes the pub has changed names at least three times to my knowledge and yes it has gone down hill, such a shame.

Baron thank you for those photographs, so many memories, i can even see the tall tree that was at the top of my garden, the gardens were so long and uphill. so to speak ending at a little lane which led to the vicarage which was a beautiful place.
I really miss that house it was full of happy memories for me.

Back