• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Baptist Church

mike jenks

master brummie
Hi

This search through my Mothers Photographs
is turning up some odd things.
All my life I have tried to follow the Methodist
Religion. Years in the Boy's Brigade and regular
attendance at Stechford Methodists.
I had several years at Yardley Parish Church and
a couple of years at St Margarets Great Barr.
The Methodists teachings were simple and the services
were warm and friendly. I alway's found the C 0f E a little
harsh but thats my opinion.
Although I have stryed on the Path I have alway's
tried to remember those day's and the Teachings.
At 64 I now do not smoke and virtually free of Alcohol.
To my amazement I was Baptised within the Baptist
Church at Acocks Green.
Im not sure on Smoking and Drinking within their faith.
Anyway I have enclosed my Baptist Certificate.

Mike Jenks

Mike, I sometimes think the non conformist religions were quite close. My fathers family were originally Baptist from Lutterworth in Leicestershire. The first Baptist Chapel there dates back to 1777, I have a copy of an early etching. It appears when my gt grandfather came to Birmingham my gt grandmother was obviously C of E as, they married at St Mary's Whittalll St. Their children married at St Silas in Lozells. My gt grandfather died in 1919 and in his obituary it says he was involved with the mens movement at the Congretional Church on Soho Hill in Handsworth. So it seems they moved around within some of the non conformist religions. All the family including my gt gt grandparents born 1786 are buried at Key Hill Cemetery in Hockley. Your baptist certificate is lovely but a little difficult to read.

My sister and I were introduced to the Methodist church by our next door neighbours in Marsh Lane when we were 6 and 3.
Our neighbour was a policeman but when he retired, after I was married, he became a Methodist minister.

We loved the Sunday school and Anniversary Sunday all dressed in white.

I married in the Methodist church ,Station rd, Erdington and my children were christened there.

My parents although confirmed in the Cof E prefered the Methodist service,simple ,sincere and no getting down on your knees.

Back