• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Baptism in Sedgley but which Church?

maggiesgirl

proper brummie kid
Hello
I have located a baptism on the IGI that just states, Sedgley, Stafford in 1845. Would anyone be able to tell me if this would have been All Saints or not. I am not familiar with the area but have read a little bit about All Saints but I am totally unsure if this would be the correct church or not.
Thank you
Maggie

I lived in Sedgley maggiesgirl, and I only remember one church in that village, as it was then in the 1960's.

Hello Maggie, if you click the word "catalog" then "film number" and then search your number, you can sometimes find the name of the church. (hope this still works)
rosie.

Hi Rosie
thanks for your reply. I haven't got the option of catalog. I have batch number which I can click on and there are film numbers but it won't let me click those.
Maggie

Hi Rosie
thanks for your reply. I haven't got the option of catalog. I have batch number which I can click on and there are film numbers but it won't let me click those.
Maggie

I think you'll find you can. From the Family Search opening page. On the second line of headers, 3rd from left is Catalog. Click on that and it will take you to a screen where you can enter the film number.

Or, otherwise, simply post the number here.

Ah right, I was on the actual Baptism page, that's why I didn't have the option. Have found it now from the opening page. Thank you

Hi Maggie,
All Saints is, of course, the parish church of Sedgley but Sedgley used to stretch much further than it does today. St James at Lower Gornal was originally within the parish of Sedgley whilst there are also churches at Upper Gornal and Coseley (which was once known as Lower Sedgley) that were chapels-of-ease to All Saints. A lot depends on the date of the baptism. Also there are many independent churches/chapels in the area as well.

Back