• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Banks/Bankes/Bank Road, Small Heath, Birmingham

Lancaster

knowlegable brummie
My grandfather was John ("Jack") Srawley born 1886 in Birmingham.

In his WWI Service Record, my grandfather's home address is given as 248 Banks Road, 248 Bankes Road & 248 Bank Road, Small Heath, Birmingham.

I assume they are all the same residence but don't know whether these are simple writing errors or whether Banks Road was renamed Bankes Road or Bank Road!

I can see that there is currently a Bankes Road in Small Heath but can someone tell me whether this was previously named Banks Road or Bank Road around the time of WWI, or has it always been Bankes Road?

Anyones help much appreciated.

There has been a Bankes Road in Small Heath that runs between Charles Road and St Benedicts Road for as long as I can remember , the early 1950s , I was born in Charles Road in 1948 Bernie

Electoral Rolls
1918 at 248 Bankes Road

Samuel George Srawley 171450, 274 Co MT, ASC
John Bright Srawley 107729 Spr, 75th Fld Coy, RE
The Srawley family were there till at least 1930 and it appears to have had an "e" since at least 1901

Thanks Berniew & Ladylinda for your replies.

I never realised my grandfather had a middle name, & "Bright" is certainly an unusual name! I wonder how he came by that!

Samuel George Srawley was one of my grandfather's brothers, born about a year earlier in about 1885.

Do the Electoral Rolls list any other Srawley's living with them?
* His father was Henry Charles Srawley but I believe he died in 1899, when my grandfather was about 13.
* My grandfather's mother was Harriett Srawley (nee Lymath) born about 1849 in Birmingham.
* He apparently had five elder siblings named Harry, Harriett L, James R, William E & Samuel G Srawley (referred to above).

In the 1891 Census they lived at 331 Bolton Road, Bordesley, Birmingham & in the 1901 Census they were at 173 Bolton Road.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

A lot seems to change for the Srawleys between 1890 and 1900 in birmingham directories

Srawley Henry Charles, Hardware dealer, 331 Bolton Road
Srawley Emma (Miss), dress & mantle maker, 6 Leonard Road,Handsworth
Srawley frederick, zinc worker, 5 court adderley st
Srawley James, Lamp maker & pewterer,,185½ Cheapside
Srawley James, manuf. of every kind of domestic cabinet & builders brass foundry, 116 Branston st
Srawley, joseph william, gunmaker, 48½ whittall st
Srawley William George, Lamp, Lantern & tinware maker , 29 Rea St
Home addresses
Srawley Samuel , 66 St Pauls road, Moseley
Srawley James 44 Hunters Road, Handsworth
Srawley, William George, 225 Ladypool road
Srawley, William George junior,, 227 Ladypool road.
Srawley Frederick, 88 Gower St
Srawley, Browett & co ,brassfounder, 116 Branston st
Srawley Annie (Mrs), midwife, 58 St johns Rd, sparkhill
Srawley Joseph William, gun finisher, 48½ whittall st
Srawley William George, Lamp, Lantern & tinware maker , 29 Rea St
Srawley William George, shopkeeper, 92 Rushton st
Home addresses
Srawley Joseph William, Victoria rd ,stechford
Srawley Mrs, 87 Leonard road, handsworth
Srawley Mrs, 24 Roland Road, handsworth
Srawley William George, 29 Brighton road, moseley rd
173 bolton road is not listed
mike

1920 at 248 Bankes Road
Harriett,John Bright and Samuel George
1922,1925 at 248 Bankes Road
Samuel George and John Bright
1927,1930 at 248 Bankes Road
John Bright
(It has been printed as Strawley on the electoral rolls!)

Last edited:
Mike & Ladylinda,

Thanks for your replies.

In the Birmingham directory entries for 1890:
* Henry Charles Srawley at 331 Bolton Road seems to be "mine".
* I don't think the James Srawley's listed are mine because my James would have been about 12 years old in 1890 so I imagine wouldn't have been listed as a tradesman or businessman. He is also listed in the 1891 Census as a scholar. However, please correct me if you think it might be possible for someone of that age to be running a business in the directory.

I see that there is no entry for 173 Bolton Road. Do you know why this might be? I have them at this address in an image of the 1901 Census (see copy attached). Would some addresses in Bolton Road not have been listed in the Birmingham directories for some reason?

Thanks for your help.

View attachment 60652

The directories were far from being a complete record of the occupiers, particularly for private addresses, but, in the case of smaller firms, for some commercial addresses also. Where directories from two different firms are available for the same year (such as Whites and Post office for 1849 and 1855 ) there are often considerable differences in the entries. this must be for a variaty of reasons, different degrees of conscientiousness on th eparts of the people going round the streets, and whether there was anyone in when the place was visited. Occasionally differences may be because the survey was carried out at a different date , when different occupiers were present. In early directories (up to 1890-1900) it would seem that they only bothered to list pretty well off people's private addresses . Even in the later Kellys the private address in some roads are well covered , but in others very badly covered. Of course some people may not have wanted their private address to be advertised. Incidently I did check that the street had not been renumbered in the period (that is that 331 and 173 were the same building , but had been renumbered). This did occur around 1880-1900 in a lot of Birmingham streets, but not this one.

With regard to 173 Bolton road it may well be that in 1891 the address was a business as well as a home address, whereas (either through retirement or business address being separated from home address) in 1901 no 173 was only a home address and was not therefore listed. Between 1891 and 1901 Henry Srawley is listed at no 331 bolton road in 1892, but by 1895 the address is occupied by Josiah Rooke, confectioner, and Henry Srawley is not mentioned again in the directory. I note that in the 1901 census, Harriet is a widow, and listed with no occupation. Presumably she had to move from the shop into a private house down the road after his death.

PS
With regard to the numbers on the page you attached, only 159, at the bottom, is included in the directory. After 159 the next number on that side of the street is 207, supporting the idea that not many private addresses in the street were listed
Mike

Back