• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Banana Sandwiches

Banana AND PICKLE sandwiches

Thirty or so years ago I used to go to meetings at the Fred Tallant Hall in London, owned by the Continental Hostel Association, and used by many groups for meetings. They had a canteen, and one stalwart lady always provided banana and Branston pickle sandwiches. I quite liked them, although I never tried to convert my family to the cause.
Peter

Banana and pickle??

That's as bad as my whims when I was expecting my son years ago!!
I had fancies for Marmite or banana sandwiches!! Somedays I couldn't make my mind up which I wanted so I put the two together and hated it - but ate it all the same!! I have never lived it down my husband cringes when he thinks I actually ate it!!

Never eaten it since - I completely blame my hormones for that one!! My son loves marmite and banana sandwiches but he has never been guilty of eating the tow together ha ha

I can't imagine how I ever ate that concoction - must have been a bad day?? :)

Yuck.
Any self respecting banana sandwich eater knows the only way to make them is to spread one's bread copiously with creamy butter. Slice the whole of a banana (skin excluded before a wit jumps in) then the piece de resistance - a teaspoon of sugar sprinkled all over.
Oh the pleasure as the smaller pieces of the banana coated in suger dropped out of the sandwich onto ones chest as one lay in the grass following a cycle ride into the country. Grubby fingers picking them up and adding another flavour to the taste. That and a bottle of American Soda pop....
Will.

These days I'd settle for the fresh crusty off a proper crusty loaf, spread butter on it and banana slices!! No sugar for me thank you - I am sweet enough ;D

Have em every week when the Lady gets them never had sugar on them 8)

I make them in the morning quite often. For a variation I spread on a very small amount of peanut butter on the bread along with the bananas. I buy the bananas green and know when they are just ripe enough for this concoction.

It was and still is one of my favourites, sorry l tell a fib as l dont remember banana's in the 1940,s and the only real cocconuts were at Pat Collins fair, talking of food l saw a photo once of someone spreading the loaf and then cutting a slice from it. Another Gem from the past although it was never done in our house.

My gran and my mom both used to butter the bread before cutting it from the loaf. O0

Still do in our House Postie except when its Dripping or Lard :2funny:

POSTIE. ALF.  When l saw that photo it was wonderfull to see a reminder to a memory of years ago and l dought if it would ever have come alive to me again if l had not seen it.
Just wonderfull memories of years gone by.

when I was doing my 'Domestic Science' O-Level at Erdington Grammar School in '75, one of the recipies they taught us was how to make banana and date sandwiches  ;D
(I think the crusts were cut off  ::) )

do I make 'em now?
do I 'eck. :coolsmiley:

I have Bananas in a dish of icecream for desert after dinner.

ooooohhhh, Luverly  Grub.

:D :D :p :p O0 O0

When Birds greengrocer's in Witton was closed on Sunday, you could see the windows because the rabbits and chickens weren't hanging in front of them. they were lined on the inside with green paper, and pasted on it was an advert for Fyffes bananas. I looked at that ad all through the war, wondering how they would taste :)

Di.Poppitt said:
When Birds greengrocer's in Witton was closed on Sunday,
was that Lennie Bird's shop?
As he is still in touch with my cousin George who is mentally retarded. Lennie and his wife, Grace, were very kind to George when he lived in Nelson Rd.

Yes Mazbeth, Lennie eventually took over from his dad, whose name I can't remember. Lennie was always well liked, and his mom was such a nice lady, she had pretty curly hair that sort of fell in ringlets.

We've nearly forgotten what a banana tastes like in Tasmania - the crops were destroyed in Queensland a while back by a cyclone. They still appear in supermarkets etc but they are horrifically expensive. As soon as they are affordable I know The Laird will be eating a bucketful - he used to eat one every day. :)

Di.Poppitt said:
Yes Mazbeth, Lennie eventually took over from his dad, whose name I can't remember. Lennie was always well liked, and his mom was such a nice lady, she had pretty curly hair that sort of fell in ringlets.
he lives over in Elmdon area now, near the airport...Grace was quite ill with cancer and had an op. but is still around I think.
Lennie, himself, is quite ill, but I don't know what it is...
I saw him at George's 50th birthday party 3 years ago.

:angel: Col and I too love Bananas and eat one every day. Kate I'm so glad I'm not in OZ right now, tell 'The Laird' I really do feel for him and the rest of you!

Kate took the words from my mouth. Bananas are very expensive, but they are coming down now, thank goodness. I remember when i first came to Australia, we stayed in a hostel in Melbourne. The thing was bananas on bread, sprinkled with sugar and toasted. My kids are all grown, some have kids of their own, and still they love bananas and custard.

Banana cake too !! BBQ bananas, put a slit into the banana with skin on, pop in a few squares of chocolate, wrap in foil then put on bbq.

Banana and honey on brown bread. MMMmmmmmmm

Best of all - BBQ banana in skin as Jan says, top with a micowaved melted Mars Bar and pour over a generous helping of cream

i had a similar conversation one day last week with my daughter i dont know what started it but banana sandwiches and bananas and custard came into it .
I hadnt had either since i was a kid and the thought of them bought back so many memorys so i just had to buy some bananas and endulge in a sandwich oh what bliss .
i am rather taken with cheese and apple and cheese and pear sandwiches both are very nice
celia

banana splits on holiday at Sandy bay, with ice cream and clotted cream from the dairy - yum yum!!!
And the camp fire bananas and chocolate mentioned prevoiusly!
Sue

Back