• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bamville Road Ward End

bgl7294

Seasons greetings everyone, sitting around discussing family and places of abode.
Of which Bamville Road, Ward End, was one.
Question does any one know where "Bamville" came from, is it a persons name, a location, or other?
Regards,
bruce

https://fabpedigree.com/s073/f663062.htm

Hi bgl and welcome. Had a little google and came up with this page. If you read the number of influential connections it would not surprise me to find a road, estate or area to carry the name.
It was just a little cloud gathering passtime for me. I would think a member with hard facts will give you a better answer shortly.

I've been reading a lot about the de Baumville's and there is some confusion regarding their English origins.
They were a Norman family and they are listed as land owners in the area of Storeton. This could have been either Storeton on the Wirral or an early english spelling of Stourton in Warwickshire. More than Likely the later as Alice De Baumville married the Earl of Coventry. Although they were not a well known family, by the 15th Century their name was being written in official documents as Bamville rather than Baumville and eventually this became the normal spelling. It is more than likely that this is who Bamville Road is named after. I have trawled the net since last night and I have been unable to find any other references to the name. Hope this has been of some help to you.:thumbsup:

Hi, Thanks for your efforts, they indeed link with those that Journeyman Brummie indicates as well. I very much appreciate your work, Bruce

Hi, thanks for your work, it does at least link with that which is detailed by Journeyman Brummie, so we may have an "inner" if not a "bull" at this stage. Once again thanks.
Bruce

Back