• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BALLARD - Marriage for Jessie M. Ballard

Twirls

proper brummie kid
Hello,

Could someone please let me know who Jessie M. (I think this is Maud) Ballard married? She was born in Birmingham in 1929. I have looked on free bmd but could find nothing.

Thank you,
Twirls

Re: Marriage for Jessie M. Ballard

hi twirls, theres a jessie m "bullard" who married henry n pilgrim in 1947 jan-mar birmingham. perhaps this could be the one???

Hi Shera,

Thank you. This is possible. I have seen the name misspelt before as Bullard. Have you come across any other marriages?

Twirls

i couldnt see any other marriages for a similar name, and i cant actually see a birth of jessie m bullard so maybe it is the right one - not sure though :culpability:

just checked the electoral rolls and i dont think it can be the correct person as in 1945 jessie m bullard is listed at 31 wretham rd along with henry n pilgrim and several other people. i think she wouldnt have been listed until she was 21 and she would have only been 16 so couldnt be the right person. sorry

I've found her birth in 1929 Birmingham South. Her mother's maiden name was Deakin so I know her birth date is correct.

in 1955 jessie m ballard is on the electoral rolls at 37 first avenue,selly oak. with caroline c spencer and arthur deakin.

the only other marriage i can see is jessie m ballard to raymond f pettitt in 1962 but this was in harlow, essex

Last edited:

Well I suppose the marriage in Harlow is a possibility and I can't rule it out as yet. Thank you Shera for looking. I'll have to research the other names you've given me from the electoral roll. These are not names I've come across before.

Twirls

twirls you said that jessie m ballards mothers maiden name was deakin so arthur deakin is probably a family member

in 1939 at 37 first avenue, selly oak is eliza jessie ballard with arthur deakin and caroline spencer (jessie m. wouldnt be old enough to appear)
in 1935 at 54 william st. ladywood is just eliza jessie ballard
in 1930 at 117 wenman st. balsall heath is just eliza jessie ballard
in 1929 at above address is william john ballard and eliza jessie ballard

Oh, thank you very much for this extra info. William John Ballard and Eliza Jessie are the parents of Jessie M Ballard. It would appear that William John Ballard born in 1906 had died by 1930 at the age of 24.

Last edited:

There's a Jessie Maude Ballard b. 17th Sept 1929, died in Apr. qtr 2005. Maybe she never married.

Yes Lynne, Jessie was born in 1929. Perhaps it is correct and she never married. Could you tell me if she had any siblings? Father was named Ballard and mother Deakin. I can only see Jessie on freebmd.

Thank you,
Twirls

Hi Twirls, I cant find any other siblings but the only birth I can find for Eliza Jessie Deakin was in 1889, making her 40 when Jessie M. was born, this makes her 17 years older than William J. if his date of birth is right. Theres a death for an Eliza J. Ballard in 1951, aged 63.
Lynne.

Thank you Lynne,

I too have the birth of Eliza Jessie Deakin as 1889. I believe I have the correct William Joseph Ballard born in 1905 Aston. It does seem a big age difference though, but not at all unusual for a woman of 40 to have a child even in those days.

Twirls

Twirls, are you sure that is the right marriage, on Sheras electoral rolls Elizas husband is William John, but yours is William Joseph. Just a thought.
Lynne.

Hi Lynne,

All this has given me reason for thought and that my William Joseph Ballard did not marry Eliza Jessica Deakin. The name and dates have thrown doubt on all the above.

Thank you,
Twirls

Hi Twirls, theres a marriage in 1928 to a Lily Steadman, I'm a bit busy at the minute but will have a look later, its all trial and error. I just didnt want you going down what could be the wrong road, something I've done many times...
Lynne.

On FMP the only marriage I could find was Eliza J Deakin to William J Ballard registered 1st quarter 1927 - so marriage would be late 1926 - I looked on 1911 census but there was no Eliza Jessie and no Eliza's of about the right age. There was a William Ballard b. 1906 Aston - f. William b.1884 age 27 a strip castor - li ving 22 court, 7 house, Heneage St. - mother Florence b. 1884 age 27 - married 7 years. There is also a brother age 3 (mistranslation) Tanamt!! There is another Will.Ballard who is age 1 - I didn't look at him as my computer is playing up.
Hope it helps
Sheri

the 1911 for eliza jessie deakin could be this one - living 52 browning street, ladywood

walter faulkner 42 widower publican
walter john faulkner son. 24 brass polisher
emma louise faulkner daughter 15 barmaid
jessie deakin 22 pen grinder
alfred jones servant 67 widower
all born bham.

eliza jessie seems to have been listed as jessie on 1901 and 1891 too.
in 1891 she is in irving street . aged 2yrs with parents henry and emma deakin, both aged 22yrs. and widowed father daniel deakin aged 58yrs.

Hi Twirls, I looked for Eliza Jessie in 1901 - I think she's under Jessie Deakin b. reg. 1889 -she's 12 at school.
Father is Henry Deakin age 32 b. 1869 a Weighing Machine Filer - living 11 back Gough St. B/ham.
Mother Emma age 31 b. 1870 Pen Worker and Alfred age 2 1899.
Elizabeth Harper age 41 b. 1860 single - sister - paper box maker.
Sheri

Back