• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baldwins William Who were parents.

Snowball

master brummie
Looking for help in identifying the parents of my uncle, William Henry Baldwin. Born July 1908, siblings were Violet, Len and Doris. Family lived in Oldknow Road, Small Heath, Birmingham just before WW2. Would like to identify the names of his parents and the address in Oldknow Road.

Re: Who were William Baldwins parents.

in 1918 arthur baldwin 223 oldknow rd

in 1920 arthur baldwin
lucy baldwin 223 oldknow rd

in 1925 arthur owen baldwin
lucy baldwin 223 oldknow rd.

john baldwin
alice mary baldwin 214 oldknow rd

in 1930 owen arthur baldwin
lucy baldwin 223 oldknow rd.

john baldwin
alice mary baldwin
william henry baldwin 214 oldknow rd

in 1935 john baldwin, alice mary baldwin and violet alice baldwin at 214 oldknow rd.

owen arthur baldwin (the elder), lucy, owen arthur (the younger) at 223 oldknow rd.

in 1939 william henry baldwin and rose ada at 210 oldknow rd.

john and alice mary baldwin at 214 oldknow rd.

arthur owen, lucy and william edwin baldwin at 223 oldknow rd.

in 1945 john, alice m, and leonard h baldwin at 214 oldknow rd.

arthur baldwin was in the royal warwickshire fusiliers pte 6084

have found his medal card on ancestry but dont seem to be able to upload it. perhaps someone else will do it for you :)

Thank you very much Shera, I knew that William and Rose lived in Oldknow Road a few doors away from his parents but I didn't know there were other Baldwins all within the same little enclave. Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards, Snowball.

re who were william baldwins parents.my husbands name is owen baldwin, his father was william edwin baldwin of oldknow road,his father arthur owen baldwin, sometimes known as owen arthur baldwin,married lucy smith, formerly married to william teece.arthur owens father was henry baldwin married emily tyler ,was a farmer born in mickleton gloucestershire,his father was john baldwin a farmer of gloucestershiremarried sussanah smith

Good evening annecrofts, wishing you a merry christmas and a happy, prosperous and safe New Year from a dark windy night here in Kentlyn Australia.

Thank you very much indeed for your reply to my posting on William Baldwin. William Baldwin (b 1908) married Rose Ada Marklew who was the elder sister to my mother Winifred May Frankcom (nee Marklew), that makes William my uncle in my book. Rose and her husband William (always called Bill), lived at 207 Malmesbury Road, my parents Winnifred and George lived about 100 yards away on the opposite side of the road at 142. Malmesbury Road runs paralel to Oldknow Road. I grew up knowing them as part of my immediate family together with their only daughter Doreen.

When I took up this interest in genealogy I decided to do a bit of research into a lot of people, some I had never met. While I never met any of Williams family I found that there were a number of other Baldwins that lived in Oldknow Road and it has been quite interesting to see how they were related. I know that Williams father was John Baldwin and his mother was Alice Mary Baldwin although at this stage I do not know Alice's maiden name.

I think the names Athur Owen and/or Owen Arthur whoever they belonged to got me just a bit confused.

I am trying to understand the connection, if one exists, between William's father John Baldwin who lived at 214 Oldknow Road and Arthur Baldwin and his wife Lucy who lived at 223 Oldknow Road. Were they brothers ?

Also, Arthur Owen Baldwin and his wife Lucy had children, this is where you might be able to correct me again. I thought that they had two sons, the first born was called Arthur Owen or Owen Arthur and the second born was William Edwin, they all lived at 223 Oldknow Road.

I assume that William Edwin is your husbands Father and Arthur Owen who married Lucy was William Edwin's grandfather.

If all of my assumptions are correct then your William Edwin Baldwin would have been a cousin to William Henry Baldwin.

If you have the time and inclination to reply I would very much appreciate it.

hi snowball,wishing you all the best!were in very snowy scarborough, north yorks . arthur owen baldwin had 5 siblings including john h baldwin, born 1879,but in the family tree ive got,hes married to fanny and have an adopted child, so wether it could be the same one i dont know ,but i will try to find out more .could he have remarried? but it certainly sounds as though theyre related . arthur owen baldwin and lucy did have 2 sons, owen arthur , and william edwin, my father in law,arthur owen baldwin was william edwins father.im trying to find the connection between william henry baldwin , and william edwin, will let you know if i suceed, kindest regards annecrofts.

Hi Snowball - Re the Baldwin ancestors, I have found this to date:

Henry Baldwin 1841-1890 married Emily Tyler in 1877. They had the following children:
Emily - 1878
John H - 1879 (I think this is John - William's Father that you are referring to?)
Arthur Owen - 1880
Charles Albert - 1886
Florence S - 1890
Pat - 1891 (recorded on Census as male)

Emily Tyler/Baldwin then went on to marry Oliver Shield in 1900. The children from the Baldwin marriage are recorded as stepchildren on 1901 Census.

Therefore William's Father John, was Arthur Owen's brother. Hope this helps with your research. Good luck with your research.

Hi there Zen,
Firstly let me apologise for the delay in replying to your post, thank you very much for your contribution. I thnik you are spot on with the information about the second marriage for Emily, That might have had some bearing on why many of my previous searches missed them, they were probably under a household named "Shield" rather than "Baldwin". I'm currently waiting on some GRO certificates to confirm the origins of the baldwin family. Thank you for your assistance.

Snowball.

Hi Snowball

Your very welcome - I hope the certificates have useful information for you.

Best wishes Zen

hi snowball, as you know my husband, owen baldwin,(i go under my maiden name ) is the grandson of arthur owen baldwin, and great grandson of henry baldwin and emily tyler, she remarried after henry died aged 51, in 1890. to oliver R shield, john henry baldwin (arthur owen baldwins brother) in our family tree , born 1879, married fanny and adopted a child, so i dont know if its the same john that married alice mary(unless he married twice, of course ) i would be interested to know how you get on with the information you're waiting for, as iv'e come to a full stop at the moment. i dont know if you already, but henry baldwins father was john baldwin born1804 in blockley, worcestershire.married sussanah smith,he was a farmer of nothwick hill. worcestershire. children were mary 5, henry 1,alice, and thomas both died the year they were born. (1841 census) hope your'e well. anne baldwin nee crofts.

Back