• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Baffling investigation to a V.C.

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
Hello Fellow Forum members

I found a brief article in one of the editions of a WW1 Birmingham Newspaper. It relates to a VC winner being born in Sparkbrook and attending Five Ways Grammar School.
I have been in contact with the Archivist at the King Edwards School Foundation and they have no record of him. I have also been in contact with a great nephew. He thought he may have had links with Birmingham at one stage, but has no proof. Googling information provides info that he was born in Australia. However, Australia do not have him listed as a "Aussie" VC.

Perhaps he told the journalist a few white lies about his past and the story was published about Joseph Harcourt Tombs V.C.

Joseph H Tombs VC.jpg

Also on Ancestry his MC shows,
Liverpool Regt. 10973
Royal Garrison Artillery 2249.
France 23/3/15
Colin

Thanks Colin
I have seen all that

But nothing to a possible link to Brum as it states in the newspaper

Terry

https://victoriacross.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ww1&action=display&thread=2020

Although only a single post with no follow-up this link seems to indicate that his Sister thought that he was born in England

This is an interesting award for several reasons. Firstly, the date of the action is 16 May 1915 not 16 June 1915 as appears in official records. Secondly is his claim on more than one occasion that he was born in Australia. The best evidence from his sister to the Candian War Museum shortly after his death was that he was born in England.

Back