• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Averill

GeorgieG

master brummie
Tom Averill and Evelyn Averill (nee Winn) they had a shop... Tom was a Shoe repairer..... lived Nechells... Any clues

Georgie Garrett...

There was a cooked meat shop in Newtown Row, Aston, for many years called Averill, could this be connected with your family?

Sylvia.... I am almost sure that Evelyn had a haberdashery shop.... unfortunately I cannot find my notes!! but I can remember her nephew saying his wife helped in the shop too. I think husband Tom who was a shoe repairer was next door... Georgie

Pomgolian.... I do think that Evelyn Averill had a haberdashery shop... not sure if husband Tom worked out back or next door. Did Tom have an Eye Patch?
Georgie

Georgie,
From Kelly's 1949
Averill Evelyn (Mrs.)draper 30 & 30A,Great Lister Street
Averill Thos. boot repairer 29,Great Lister Street

Colin

Averill.... Evelyn and Tom

Thank you so much for looking this up for me. Great news... I was right after all... Wonderful site... Georgie

:angel: Hey that's great.
I knew both Tom and Evelyn, but never knew their first name. They were Mr & Mrs Averill to us kids.
My sister and I used to buy our white school ankle socks from the haberdashery, as it was just across the road from out flats.
I remember Tom dieing in the early 1960's and the shop became more of a Grocery shop after his death. As I said in my PM to you my Mom mended our shoes so I never knew Tom was a shoe repairer too.
I do have some pic's of Gt Lister St and the area where the shop was, but none show Averill's haberdashery.
If you would like them anyway PM me your email address and I will send them to you.
And yes Tom did have an eye patch over his right eye I think, but I could be wrong on that one, it was along time ago. Evelyn could be a right bossy boots and we all knew who wore the trousers in that house. (Not meaning to offend or putting her down, just saying it from a kids point of view).
Even when I was 17 she would not sell me cigarettes unless the were my Dad's Woodbines, anything else she knew were for me as I hated Woodbines, not that I really smoked. I just carried them for show to offer around and to look older, as I was and still am quite small in size.

Pom :angel:

Georgie, Yes it would have been very close, although by the time I lived there most of those buildings had been demolished to build our flats.

I'm not sure how Gt Lister St was numbered before redevelopement, maybe someone can tell us which side of the road was Odd numbers and which was even.
If we can find out the Number of either the New Inns or the Old Nelson Pubs that would help, as they were both on the same side as the Averill's shop I used.
They may even been in one of the ones on the picture before 1958 and moved to one across the road when they were pulled down. (Not sure that pic' was taken where it says though).
(see map):
View attachment 9938. (Click to enlarge)

Pom :angel:

Last edited:
Can anyone look up Evelyn and Tom Averill again for me... It looks as if their shops 29, 30 & 30A Great Lister Street were on the same side of the road... how did the numbers run up the street? If the corner shop of Keen and Carter was 34... what would be the number next door etc. etc. I have a photo of the Birmingham Gov UK site c 1950 and it maybe that their shop is on it... or is it the GAP!!:( (I expect so.. knowing my luck). Georgie

George, Averill are shown at 29,30 & 30a Great Lister Street which appears to be on the corner of Windsor Street, Keen & Carter are at no.34 and in the photo are on the other corner,so it seems that 30 & 30a could be to the left of the picture just off the photo.

Colin

Last edited:
Averills shop

I was brought up in Windsor street and we lived about 50 yards from their drapers shop. we shopped there regularly and if my memory serves me well, he had a cobblers shop next door too. i have no photo of this area at all and would welcome any pictures of the old place. judging by your description you lived close to the Keen's sweet shop and the hairdressers. Brian Austin up the yard was my mate and i remember the Worrals shop , bursteins outfitters , South Staffs Laundry. Happy days!:)

cabman 2. Do you have more memories to post ? Would love to hear about them. Have you looked at Gosta Green posts ? What year were you living around there. I lived around the corner in Coleman Street.
Please let us hear of more of your memories.

:p
Lived in Windsor Street until about 1954. used to go to St. Matthews Junior school. the only people I remember down Coleman Street was the big bloke nicknamed Buller. Going to Tommy Silks cafe on the corner to take my uncles bets (illegal) and sometimes collect his winnings. all complete with sawdust on the floor ......or was that the last nights furniture ? on Gt Lister Street , used to go to chippy and to Bradbury's sweet shop. Mother has been known to visit the "pop" shop next door and pawn her wedding ring(she always got it back tho)

cabman2. That big bloke was Buller Orton and lived two "yards" away from us towards Windsor Street and I think he used to sell Firewood (probably
Silks cafe furniture ) Where was the chippy you used? I guess it must have been 273 Albt Ernest Roberts. We went to the chippy in Henry Street next to Evans the Bookies. The "Pop" shop was Morgan's, the sweet shop I remember very well and checking the list I have, you are correct about the name Mrs Laura Ethel Bradbury

coleman street

Buller Orton !! Remember them well!
Chippy was almost opposite Bradburys. only one we used. What is the list you refer to? Can you remember Shepherds the grocers, and the hairdressers near Keens sweet shop?
Eastwoods scrap yard we lived almost opposite them. Trips down to the Gasworks on Sat fetching the coke for the old dears in the street taking it in turns to ride in the cart on the way down morning, earning a tanner to go to the Threepenny crush at the Ashted in the afternoon. going to the ABC Minors at the Gaiety on Saturday mornings occasionally too. Went to Charlie Arthur school walking down there comong back for lunch and then walking down afterwards. thinking about it now seems a real ten day camel ride now, no mothers in 4x4s then Spent holidays waiting for the horse and carts to come out of the railway goods yard in the hope of a free ride around and maybe, just maybe, be allowed to hold the reins for a minute or two:D

Cabman2. You are certainly part of the old clan. I remember Shepherds, my Gran used to shop there all the time, cannot remember the hairdressers but I remember Keen's sweet shop and the sweet shop across the road near Morgan's the pawnbrokers shop, looking in that window it was an array of rings , watches and jewelery of every description. All the Sunday Suites hanging outside on coat hangers. Eastwood's scrap yard with the Rolls Royce
parked outside near the corner of Coleman Street. The ashted picture house and the Gaiety all bring back memories to me and fetching the coke on a Saturday morning. The list is 1947 Trade Directory list of shops. It has appeared somewhere on this webring.

Last edited:
further to the posts,we used to go hop picking every year for 6 weeks, at Leominster as i remember. Living in a one room hut, eating in the communal shelter (first one back lit the braziers for the meals and heating.) only taste of the country we ever had. my Mum was always fined a pound for keeping us out of school for a week ate end but she said it was worth it to see us get a holiday. can still remember the smell of the hops freshly picked.:)

Cabman2; I'd forgot all about the ABC Minors at the Gaiety it was certainly better than the 3d Saturday matinee at the Ash-hole as the Ashted was commonly known.
I lived in Godwin Street and went to St Matthews school too, but I've a terrible memory for the shop names however. Like you I used to go with my elder sister to get coke from the gasworks, which is probably where we earned the money to go to the flicks every week.
I was telling my grandkids about the matinees the other day and what always struck me as odd was that we witnessed our hero going off a cliff one week, then the following week he jumped out of the car 50 yards before the drop - completely different! But we remember the happy days now we're in the autumn of our lives, just wish I could remember more!!!

always had to laugh at the Asthed tho. the Manager would chase us out with a broom if we played up (which was often) WE USED TO OPEN THE SIDE EXIT BY LIFTING UP THE BAR WITH OR FINGERS UNDER THE DOOR AND SNEAKIN ONE BY ONE. lol
Feel sorry for todays kids that have no excitement like that. Fter i was 13 i went with the Scribbans baker on Saturdays to earn 5 bob being his runner while he had innumerable cuppas at the houses he was collecting from.:D

Hi Cabman2. I was just doing a bit of genealogy research and came across your comments re Bradburys sweet shop - just thought I would let you know that Laura Ethel Bradbuy was my Grandmother. How well did you know her? My memories of her are few as she emigrated to australia in 1959 when I was 6. I assume as you know her full name you knew her quite well. I would love to hear any memories you may have. Her daughter, Vera (my mother) said she made her fortune selling 1p ice lollies which she used to make in the back of the shop!

Cabman2. You are certainly part of the old clan. I remember Shepherds, my Gran used to shop there all the time, cannot remember the hairdressers but I remember Keen's sweet shop and the sweet shop across the road near Morgan's the pawnbrokers shop, looking in that window it was an array of rings , watches and jewelery of every description. All the Sunday Suites hanging outside on coat hangers. Eastwood's scrap yard with the Rolls Royce
parked outside near the corner of Coleman Street. The ashted picture house and the Gaiety all bring back memories to me and fetching the coke on a Saturday morning. The list is 1947 Trade Directory list of shops. It has appeared somewhere on this webring.
80328763_10156843541662514_7608322767141732352_n.jpgThis might of been Eastwoods Rolls Royce

Back