• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Automatic Half Barrier Crossings

pistonvalve

master brummie
In light of the recent fatal accident at Moreton on Lugg, Herefordshire (BBC Midlands Today) you might be interested in this email I sent to Nick Owen of Midlands Today:

Hi Nick, Thought you might like to know I had a very near miss at the crossing next one along North at Marden in 1988/89. This was a Saturday afternoon May/June time. I was approaching from Bodenham, at the crossing a train going toward Leominster came in sight just as i was about to cross the lines, no barrier was down. I reported this using the phone by the crossing. There was an investigation, BR said 'No fault' could be found. BR invited me to a demonstration the following day (Sunday). These crossings are dangerous and should be manned whilst their safety is investigated.

The line in question is the ex LNWR/GWR joint which ran from Hereford to Shrewsbury.

I agree, they SHOULD be manned.....as well as the safety aspect, it would create employment wouldn't it? We have one at Blakedown and I never really trust it!

What I couldn't understand,from watching the news report on this fatality,is that there is a signal box right next to the level crossing,complete with signals,albeit of the old semaphore type.It used to be the practice in signal boxes to interlock the level crossing mechanisms with the running line signals,so something has gone seriously wrong here.
The news report said that rail technicians investigating the accident had no idea how this could have happened.The report also stated that there had been alterations to the crossing in recent months.
Had the operation of the level crossing gates been made independant of Moreton on the Lugg signalbox?
It's very worrying.

I agree with you Charlie, Hope any enquiry is not whitewashed. In my case I went along on the Sunday and viewed the operation -no problems - intermittent may be, but there is a failure mode that needs looking at. This accident was fatal, Railtrack should take another look.

The box may have been switched out. The need for a box here diminished when the MOD establishment closed. I bet the crossing was made independent so the box could be closed and save a few quid!!

Had a reply from Nick Owen (midlands Today):

Thanks for contacting us,Mike. Crikey, it sounds terrifying. I will pass your story onto our editor. All the best Nick

Nick Owen
Presenter, BBC Midlands Today

Sent: 18 January 2010 19:11
To: Nick Owen-BM
Subject: Level Crossing accident at Moreton on Lug Herefordshireo

Hi Nick, Thought you might like to know I had a very near miss at the crossing next one along North at Marden in 1988/89. This was a Saturday afternoon May/June time. I was approaching from Bodenham, at the crossing a train going towards Leominster came in sight just as i was about to cross the lines, no barrier was down. I reported this using the phone by the crossing. There was an investigation, BR said 'No fault' could be found. BR invited me to a demonstration the following day (Sunday). These crossings are dangerous and should be manned whilst their safety is investigated.

Mike Hardy.

Bromyard.

https://www.bbc.co.uk
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.
Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
Further communication will signify your consent to this.

Back