• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ATV Studios Aston

M

Mixer

Hi,I am looking to obtain a recording of a pop program televised from ATV Aston in 1964 featuring Susan Maughan and The Applejacks and I think it was produced by Reg Watson, it was based around local Boy Scout Troups (in The Gang Show idea)and included a choir of Scouts and also a young pianist called Peter Matthews.It was recorded with a studio audience on a Tuesday and televised on Thursday or Friday of the same week.Any help would be gratefully received, thanks for reading.

Hi Mixer,

Before you drop off the page. Welcome to the forum. I think it very unlikely that a tape recording of this programme still exists. You may be lucky, if say, an engineer saved a copy. Video tape was very expensive then, and so programme tapes were wiped after transmission to be used again. So, sadly, some real gems will never be seen again.

Ann

Hi ann
just read the thread of mixers request avery good friend of mine
and a client of mine whom i associate with every month is a big noise
at the bbc and he is ann robinsons manager he is mr bbc as he known through out the televisionworld i will be meeting up with him this saturday at one of his houses in selly park he has got a great big whopping house inn pinewood but any way i shall asked him about the request i.m pretty sure yu can get a copy i myself got a copy from the channel sky tv and a atv one that i appeared with the wombles many years ago so i will come back to you on that one okay ann
best wishes astonian ;;;;;;

Mixer. Firstly, welcome to the forum. Now, regarding the TV programme. If it was made in Brum, then its likely to be Thank Your Lucky Stars. Now I have had a quick look, but I cant find Susan Maughan and The Applejacks on the same show. I found her on one show, but no Boy Scouts with her. Have a look on You Tube. And good luck. Barry.

hi mixer
the programe you are thinking of was a regular wek programe on tueday nights
and they portrayed local midlands bands to start with the apple jacks was from solihull
and i think the first recordig started at summer hill as us local lads of ladywood knew it and when the modererdation of brum startedit later became summer row
and if i am rightly thinking the venue was called the brum cavern up the back of the coffee shop which openend first before the night club venue openend op behind it
all our b,ham bands performed there at some time or the other that i do know for the fact because of my connectins with in the music Business then tthe makers moved around and towards the ending of the serieies they moved to the studios breifly
before finishing the series i will come back to you on that name afer speaking to my
FRIEND MR BBC ON SATURDAY BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;;

Hi Astonian,

I wonder if you are thinking of the programme 'For Teanagers Only', that was filmed about this time at A.T.V. My cousin, Brian Allen, who also started the R & B Club at The Golden Eagle, was a film editor on 'Thank Yor Lucky Stars', and was even more involved in 'For Teenagers Only' and resposible for a lot of the Birmingham bands getting bookings on this show. His sister danced on the opening titles.

Ann

Firstly thanks for all the promt replies.I was one of the Boy Scouts on the program and my next door neighbour was the pianist, although I don't remember which Pop show it was I am absolutely sure that Susan Maughan and The Applejacks were billed on the same show(having been introduced to them all).The underlining factor is that the show featured the classic 'Gang Show' ideal with the Birmingham connection of my Scout Master being a personel mate or Reg Watson,Producer(later of 'Crossroads' and 'Neighbours' fame).The Applejacks were all in the 1st Olton Scout/Cub Troup hence their connection and Susan Maughan lived in Small Heath at the time.I take note of all the comments with interest and have to concede that Ann may well be right,I also would like to think this subject could well fire-up peoples interest in what was a real 'Golden Era' in the early 'heady' days of ATV in Birmingham.I await with anticipation for further comments and thank all of you for contributing to what is an exellent forum,Regards,Colin (mixer).

Hi

My hubbie has a friend who works for Central TV and I'll ask him to find out if this episode still exists and let you know. He has access to cameras and films (he used them to film our wedding 10 years ago, very professional it was too) so may be able to find something for you but as is said, don't hold your breath. It may very well have been destroyed many years ago.

Kind regards

Maggs

Thanx Maggs,any help is gratefully received,
Regards,
Mixer.

Mixer. My fingers are crossed that Maggs can help you. Its great the way people rally round to help in situations like this isnt it? Barry.

ABC TV studios, Any one remember the show "YOUR KIND OF SPORT" hosted by Simon Smith, they came to the old Springhill Ice rink to do a programme on Ice Hockey in Birmingham 4 of my BIRMINGHAM BARON team mates were on the show Jimmy Mitchel (Coach) Art Hambidge Hon Sec(Captain) John morris & Reg Williams.
The thing I remember most about the filming done at the rink was me being body checked by Jimmy & have in 5 weeks of work.

Hi,I am looking to obtain a recording of a pop program televised from ATV Aston in 1964 featuring Susan Maughan and The Applejacks and I think it was produced by Reg Watson, it was based around local Boy Scout Troups (in The Gang Show idea)and included a choir of Scouts and also a young pianist called Peter Matthews.It was recorded with a studio audience on a Tuesday and televised on Thursday or Friday of the same week.Any help would be gratefully received, thanks for reading.
'For teenagers only' was recorded at ATV studios.

Hi. I have come to this thread late as I was researching this programme . I too appeared in this show and Susan Maughan and The Applejacks were both in the show. I was a Scout in the 183rd Birmingham St Thomas's Troup and our Scout leader, Dave Watson, worked at ATV studios, as did the Assistant Scout Leader, Keith Pitt. The East Birmingham Scouts were performing a Gang Show at Garrett's Green Technical College. We appeared on the show singing 2 songs, one of which was 'We're Riding Along On The Crest Of A Wave'. As previously mentioned, The Applejacks were from the 1st Olton Scouts. I believe Susan went to Waverley Grammar School, where ironically I ended up teaching for 15 years. I would be interested if it had been recorded but I very much doubt it.

The Television Theatre in 1956 before it was renamed The ATV Studios.
2ad5yc.jpg

another stunning photo BB always look forward to your posts as 9 times out of 10 the photos are new to me

thanks for sharing

lyn

Certainly stunning Lyn. I would have found it difficult to name the building from the frontage. The later frontage was so different. Presumably the body of the old building was kept, just the frontage changed ?

The studio was also known as the Alpha Studios - I think just before they moved to new premises in Town. Viv.

yes viv i think it was called the alpha studios... nice clarity on the photo as as well so we get a decent zoom in

lyn

The studio features in this video about ATV. Viv.

And a closer view of the studio from the Arthur Lloyd site. It seems the theatre was formerly the Theatre Royal, Aston.
image.jpeg

A summary of the building's history, uses all centred around entertainment. Viv

Originally Theatre Royal - opened in 1893, a live theatre until Dec 1927
1927 re-opened as the Astoria Cinema - link to Astoria Cinema thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/astoria-cinema-aston.27371/page-3
Astoria Cinema (ABC house) closed Nov 1955
Developed as a television studio for ABC television and ATV
Building was demolished after ATV moved to their new City studios
BRMB occupied the old site

Lion on the loose. He uses the side door exit to avoid public attention ! Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 10
Found this photograph of the acts in 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' filmed at The Alpha Studios, Aston in the 60's on 'Old Pics of Brum' in Facebook. I haven't seen it before, apologies if it is already in the forum.
39914725_2197521840261236_2302152030283628544_n.jpg

Found this photograph of the acts in 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' filmed at The Alpha Studios, Aston in the 60's on 'Old Pics of Brum' in Facebook. I haven't seen it before, apologies if it is already in the forum.
39914725_2197521840261236_2302152030283628544_n.jpg
What a super picture, have they all faded into obscurity or did any find fame? Presumably the one in front of the girl (?Cilla) and the three at the back were Beatles impersonators or where they spookily the originals? Then on the front row there is second from the left Jim Dale and on the far right bottom step is that a young Danny Kaye?. Somebody tell me who the guy next to Danny Kaye is, I have a name on the tip of my tongue, he looks like both an American Film star and an English pop star, but the names escape me. Certainly guitar sales were on the up.
Bob
Bob

What a super picture, have they all faded into obscurity or did any find fame? Presumably the one in front of the girl (?Cilla) and the three at the back were Beatles impersonators or where they spookily the originals? Then on the front row there is second from the left Jim Dale and on the far right bottom step is that a young Danny Kaye?. Somebody tell me who the guy next to Danny Kaye is, I have a name on the tip of my tongue, he looks like both an American Film star and an English pop star, but the names escape me. Certainly guitar sales were on the up.
Bob
Bob
The 4 guys on the right are the Searchers...
Dave A

Bob
Bob
The guys on the left are Billy J Kramer & the Dakotas...so it looks like an all Liverpool show!
Dave A

Back