• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Atkins Family - 1900?

Gillian Atkins

master brummie
I hope someone out there can help :2funny:  I'm looking for information on the Atkins family in particular my Grandad John Charles Atkins who lived in Aston and was born round about 1900. He was I believe an electrician by trade.  He had three children: Cedric George Atkins b1925, Jack Atkins and Dennis Atkins.  I also know that his first wife died and he remarried a Voilet Gertrude Bolton and they both lived in Aston.  I think they may have run a pub or possibly a Labour Club.

Any information would be welcomed as I don't have any family left to ask :'(

Thanks  :-* :crazy2:

Hello Gillian,

I'm not related to this family, but have just taken a look at the BMD indexes- you may already have this:-

John C Atkins married Elizabeth M Purcell in 1922 (Jan- March) Aston. Ref: 6d 495

They had three sons:-

John C Atkins born 1922 (oct- Dec) Aston. Ref: 6d 852 (22nd September 1922- Oct 1995)

Cedric G Atkins born 1925 (Apr- June) Birmingham. Ref: 6d 952 (4th May 1925 - Feb 1991)

Dennis Atkins born 1927 (Apr- June) Birmingham North. Ref: 6d 632

Elizabeth died either in child birth or shortly after Dennis' birth:-

Elizabeth M Atkins died 1927 (Apr- June) aged 28 Birmingham North. Ref 6d 400

It looks like John then remarried:

John C Atkins married Violet G Pritchett 1928 (jul- Sept) Birmingham North. Ref: 6d 1349

I notice your post has Violet's surname as Bolton- perhaps she was previously married??
If I find anything further I'll let you know.
Nell x

Hi Nell

You're a star :smitten:

Thank you for all this information, I didn't have any.....

Violet was previously married and I think when she married John C Atkins she had been married twice before. I do know that she had children when her name was Pritchett. I think that their names were Dennis, George, and Jean although she may have had more.

Gillian x :laugh:

Hi Nell

Me again! Do you know how I would find out the date of births of John Charles Atkins snr. and Elizabeth Purcell? :-\

Gillian :)

Hello Gillian,

This looks like the birth of John snr:-

John Charles Atkins born 1900 (Jan- March ) in Birmingham, Warwickshire. Ref: 6d 41

Although we know Elizabeth was born around 1899 I couldn't find her birth.

Ordering the marriage certificate of John and Elizabeth will help locate Elizabeth's birth as this will give you approximate dates of birth and father's name.

Hope this helps. Nell

Hi Nell and all

I felt that I must share this information with someone....so where better than here :laugh:  The information I have on both sides my father's and mother's side of the family is limited, particularly that of my father. (Thanks Nell for giving me a start.)  I have been contacted through Genes Reunited and I've actually had a match :D  The person who contacted me has been researching his family tree for the last 15 years (!) and is the retired Consul in the Canary Islands, and was awarded an MBE in 2002.  I'm only sharing this snippet of information with you all as this will probably be my only claim to fame.  ;D ;D Anyway from the tree that he has shared I have been able to establish links to my Great Grandparent's and their siblings including my Grandfather from Atkins side of the family.  Strange that one of the names on the tree is of someone I met when I was a small child but didn't remember until I looked at the family tree. I can't wait to delve deeper and find out more information.  It just goes to show that sometimes luck is on your side and it pays to keep searching.

Gillian  :cat:  :flower:

That is good news Gillian, thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Are you related to the Atkins family who lived in The Broadway in Witton. The daughter I used to play with in the 40's was an only child called Carol. My father knew Mr Atkins when they were boys, so he must have lived in Lozells.

Back